PS3 DVD/BD settings advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Should I be outputting colour as limited range RGB or full range YCC with "superwhite" activated. At the minute I'm outputting as limited RGB (I believe thats the movie industry standard) and thats what my display is set to accept - obviosuly if I change the video colour output to full range YCC I'll need to change my display video settings to accept that format.

Any thoughts appreciated.

A

Anonymous

All the advice I've ever seen on t'interweb says to leave it as limited.

A

Anonymous

Depends on the display. Full makes the blacks on my HDTV look grey, so I leave it as limited. The software players on my PC (PowerDVD and TMT) used to look wrong on limited with my LCD monitor, but thankfully nVidia introduced the option to select the limited or extended range and I have it set to extended to get 'true' blacks without messing around with brightness/contrast.

A

Anonymous

hi mate if you have a decent plasma turn the superwhite on and remember to turn on 24hz/24fps on if your tv is compatible. my best advice is to have a fiddle yourself and see what happens. what you prefer may be different to others, and also different settings may affect different makes and types differently too.
if you do turn superwhite on you may need to re-adjust your settings via thx optimizer.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
The rough rule of thumb on the PS site seems to be you should select 'Full' if your blacks are displaying too light, or 'Limited' if things are too dark.

From what I've read in places that explain things in more detail, 'Limited' is correct for video, 'Full' seems to be a different standard, used in computing.

On my set, when watching video, colours do look richer with 'Full' selected, I guess because of the stronger black level. But it's an artificial effect, as there's a loss of detail in dark areas. Turning brightness up to compensate results in an image that is inferior to standard brightness with 'Limited' selected.

I'm yet to see any set that displays 'Full' without without this 'black crush' effect.

Best thing to do would be to view a dark scene with 'Limited' selected, then view it again with 'Full' selected, and check if you lose any detail in the image.

For games and non-video output I guess 'Full' could be better though!

A

Anonymous

Had a play around last night. My display supports Full rgb but with this mode selected it was crushing the blacks. Limited was giving the best picture. With regards to outputting RGB or YCC I've set that to auto so it should output RGB for games and YCC for BD/DVD.

Also, game across a pretty handy FAQ page for PS3 blu ray playback

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979687

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts