My settings for the Panasonic DMP-BDT500EB

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Could someone please help me - I seem to be having lip sync problems with my new Panasonic DMP-BDT500. I know there are several threads on this with other players, but as far as I can see they usually relate to situations where the visuals audio are being sent through an AV amp to a TV. With my system, I have the main HDMI out to the Sony TV, obviously, but audio is routed to my Yamaha DSP-AX640 vis the analogue 5.1 cables as the AV amp has no HDMI. This worked fine with my Sony BDPS-550, but every Blu ray I've tried on the Panny has exhibited audio ahead of picrure. My sound settings are as follows:

Sound effects - off

Dialogue enhance - off

Dymanimic Range Compression - off

Digital audio conversion:

Dolby D, etc, etc - PCM

DTS/DTS HD - PCM

MPEG - PCM

DVD Video secondary - off

HDMI Audio - off

PCM Down conversion - off

Downmix - surround encoded

7.1 reformatting - off

High clarity sound - enable (made no difference on or off)

Audio delay - tbc!

Analogue Audio - 2ch + 5.1ch

Am I missing something obvious here? Any help or advice would be gratefully received, as this is ruining my enjoyment, especially as there appears no quick way of accessing the system menu to make audio delay adjustments 'on the fly'.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi all - just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my settings and lip sync problem? It actually seems to be more erratic than I at first thought. Some Blu rays, such as 'Apollo 13' and 'Legend of the Guardians' seem fine, whereas 'Justice' was slightly out and the Skynet edition of 'Terminator 2' was a mess, although I see this is not uncommon after googling. I'll report back as and when, but I'd appreciate anyone else's input if their system is set up like mine. Also, is there a quick way of altering audio delay in the set-up menu without having to go back to the Home menu (I have read the manual, honest!)?

Otherwise, my socks are well and truly blown off by the Sony/Panasonic combo, and the 3D isn't too shabby either, even if the Sony glasses promise to be rather uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Thanks again for the revues and advice, Oldboy! :cheers:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Naxos,

From the settings you have listed i can't see anything wrong here but i can confirm that i get some lip sync issues too but that i've found a way round it all. Although we have very different amps i would suggest that you turn on the auto lip sync option on your amp and set all other lip sync options to 0 on both your BD player and amp, when i done this all my issues went away and i've had only 2 or 3 instances since when before it was happening with almost all movies to various extents.

I'm convinced it's the BDP500 player at fault here as when i moved my Sony 570 into the living room to compare the two i had no lip sync errors atall when playing the exact same movies over the same system. If i tried to set the lip sync using the BDP500 menu it seemed to make things even worse for some reason and would mean changing the lip sync every time i put a disc on, the only way i've been able to eradicate the issue is by letting my amp set the lip sync and even then it's not 100% but it's rare now that i get an issue.

I hope that info is useful and that it sees an end to the problem for you as i know just how annoying it is.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your helpful (as always) comments, Oldboy. Yes, I'd concur that the lip sync fault is probably with the Blu ray, as my Sony BDPS-500 (now consigned to the bedroom) never exhibited this. The only thing is that I'm not sure my amp has a lip sync adjustment - I can't seem to find anything in the book anyway. It isn't THAT old, after all, and it's a Yamaha so I would expect something like that to be present. I'll just have to furtle deeper into the small print, I guess.

This may seem a really dumb question, but how do you go about making picture adjustments to the TV settings for the relevant HDMI into which the player is plugged into, as once a film is playing it isn't possible to use the TV remote buttons to access the Sony's menu settings?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
No problem Naxos just happy to help where possible. I will have a look at the pdf manual for your amp when i get a moment and see if i can find a lip sync option, two minds are better than one after all...it would seem a bit of a strange ommision if it doesn't have that feature but it may be like my Onkyo 609 and be hidden in a sub menu of a sub menu.

As for your question regarding making picture adjustments with a HDMI source...i can definately help you here as i've had to tell quite a few people now how you do this with a HX853 tv! Don't worry it's quite simple as all you need to do is once you have your HDMI source on screen press the sync menu button on the remote which is just above and to the right of the SEN button, from the menu that appears choose the bottom option which is TV control with the TV remote.

You will then get a notification confirming that you can now use the tv remote to control the tv because as standard the tv gives you control of the HDMI device via HDMI control. To turn this feature off and to have control of the tv as standard you need to go into the menu via the home button and select the settings menu and scoll to external inputs, select this then HDMI set-up and scoll to the bottom option called Device Control Keys and press enter then select the None option.

Now whenever you boot up your BD player or any other device the tv controls are active and not those of the HDMI device but HDMI control is still active so you can use the sync menu button on the remote to control your device if you so wish. I know....stupid that Sony hide it away like that, it took me a while to work it out myself.

That should see an end to that issue so all we need to do now is see if we can solve your lip sync problems, i will get back to you on that one soon :)

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy! The Bravia synch button is one I haven't really explored yet, so that's good to know. I did find a work-around (I think) where I simply pressed the i-Manual button and then selected the chapter on picture adjustments from where you can bring up the Home page to make all the usual settings adjustments, although this isn't ideal. In any case, I think I now have the Blu ray picture optimised for our viewing conditions, and the 3D is working excellently as well. I am SO pleased with this TV/BR combination!

I've also now received the Panasonic promotional offer discs ('Titanic' and 'Avatar' 3D versions), and neither of them exhibit the lip sync issue, so fingers are crossed for future titles! I spent some time over the weekend digging around the AV amp manual, and I didn't have any luck regarding an audio delay adjustment control. One thing I have tweaked, though, is that I discovered the 'Unity Gain' option on the Supernait (I've only had it four years :doh: ), so the volume pots are disabled when the AV input is selected. It may just be me, but I'm sure the surround is now a little more integrated (pardon the pun) than it was before when I was manually adjusting the 2 amps' volume controls independently - plus it saves me a remote!

A

Anonymous

Hello

Probably a very basic question but I cant seem to find an answer anywhere. I have this player linked to a tx50gt50 and have the 24p output on. It seems however that this results in a loss of detail in the darker areas of the picture. For example on amelie with 24p output on it seems as though her hair is a bit more of a black block and not as much detail is present as when the same image is viewed when 24p is off.

Is this due to the frame not being displayed as many times as when 24p output is off? Does that make any sense? or am I just imagining things? :D

Thanks

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, have just got around to havng a play with my new Blu Ray and this forum thread had proved very handy indeed, but one question I have is what does the unit operation volume option do !, shall it be set to low, hign or off ?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Dermondo said:
Hi, have just got around to havng a play with my new Blu Ray and this forum thread had proved very handy indeed, but one question I have is what does the unit operation volume option do !, shall it be set to low, hign or off ?

Interesting...I've not come across this setting, where is it on the menu? Have you tried experimenting with the settings to see if you can see/hear any difference? I will have a look for it tonight and report back with my findings, I'm sure that between the two of us we can work it out :)

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
It is in Sytem then Unit settings, I had it turned on and then turned it off and I could hear no difference, by the way your settings that you posted have proved very helpful.

I played around with the High Clarity Plus setting and to my ears I prefer it off as I though with it on it muffled and reduced the dynamics, again it is my own personal opinion and my not be suited to other users taste.

It is a cracking Blu Ray player, both audio and especially visual and I did a comparision test between it and a Cambridge BD751 and for Movies I did prefer it as it digged up more detail visually, but for analogs out the Cambridge did better and as I have a Dac this did not concern me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts