PS3 cat5 ?

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
A quick question I have a Netgear DG834 router and was using the wi-fi for my PS3. The signal was pretty bad even on a good day (40%) and kept dropping connection, a pain when your trying to play GT online or big updates etc. I tried a few different channels but couldn't get it any higher and I have to admit it's a pain in the *ss to keep swaping channels.

So I am thinking of just buying a cat5 cable and hooking that up instead. My problem is I don't know if I need a normal cat5 or a cross over version ? I think it's the normal cat5 but am not sure.

I had a quick look in maplins and their cables where about £1 a metre, then went next door into pc world just on the off chance they where cheaper. My god how they sell equipment at those prices is beyond me, very expensive. £30 for 2 metres.....lmao

A quick look online at 2 pc shops I use and I found this http://scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=1864 will this be ok ?

A

Anonymous

cat5 is fine with your PS3 but you could get cat6 for future use with other stuff as they cost around the same price.

A

Anonymous

cat 6

Getting this will mean you can use it when you upgrade your router in the future

A

Anonymous

i also had connections problems and my son came to sort it for me he is computer analist and tried and tried then saw i had a video sender to send sky tv around house wireless and set it to another freqency i now have no problems and full signal strenth so if you have video sender re-set it and see if that helps

A

Anonymous

Morning SpiceWeasel, didn't your PS3 come boxed with a Cat6? I only ask because when I got my 60Gb last year, I was surprised to find a 2m length
emotion-8.gif
already in the box.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
cat 5: 10/100

cat 6: 10/1000

Your router: 10/100

Wellll...

Most cables (certainly those available in high st stores) now are Cat5e, which is suitable for up to gigabit anyway. Cat6 is suitable for 10-gig, or 10/100/1000/10000.

You won't get a cable that can't support gigabit these days, and you won't need 10-gig for the life of your kit and PS3.

I'd buy the cheapest...

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio.... yes there is a video sender near by which my brother use's to send sky to his room (rent a house together btw). We have tried playing with the sender although that was due to interferance on the tv which was worse on the other 3 available on the sender. Like you say probably not helping out the wifi connection. It takes 2 seconds to plug in the network cable when I need to and then I don't have to worry about the rubbish wifi signal.

sam68..... I have the 40gb version which doesn't come with any network cables from what I can remember. Although I would need at least 10m to reach the router downstairs, and seeing as the ps3 and 42" is upstairs it's a lot easier to move a cable than it is the tv.

If I had a dvi-hdmi converter I could of used my 20" widescreen pc monitor, but would then be useless for gaming. Much better on my plasma.

fatboyslimfast..... I havn't ordered the cable yet so I think I will go for the cat5e and save a few £'s.

I've built a few pc's in my time but I have no idea when it comes to network related stuff.

Thanks for all the advice guys
emotion-22.gif

Im off to finnish my Balti curry that's been simmering for a good 20 mins..... see if that helps shift this cold I've had for a week.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you're taking the cable through walls, ceilings, etc or the routing of the cable is in anyway permanent, I would get Cat 6. I used Cat 6 for my installation (got it from Maplins) and it wasn't that expensive.

The points above do not completely cover the differences between 5se and 6. Check out this link.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that link PJ, you have swayed me to get cat6. Got sidetracked so havn't oredred it yet.

It's only going to be thrown downstairs to the router when needed for updates and the odd online GT race. The house is rented and we might have to move out soon as the owners are planning to sell the house. Otherwise I would of routed it properly

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd just go for whatever you can pick up cheaply locally. Especially for what you're using it for, and if you may only actually be using it 'til you move house. By the time you really need a Cat6 cable, or whatever has taken it's place at that time, you'll be able to pick one up.

All I'm long-windedly trying to say is buy whatever you can get your hands on. It's not worth searching for a Cat6 if a local shop has a cat5. It'll do the job. You'll notice a big difference playing online too, even though I have a decent router and a good signal, adding a network cable improved things no end.

A

Anonymous

The cheaper to produce units come with the bear neccessities, the CAT6 was one of the included extras to get scrapped.

A

Anonymous

at the end of the day you will never ever need cat 6 standard cat5 or 5e is more than ample for your home unless you are going to transfer 100gb a day over your network. If you having wireless drop outs then change your wireless channel in your router.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts