Problems with setting static IP address

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Streamer said:
Bonjour uses a protocol called MDNS (Multicast DNS) to discover devices and some wireless routers may either filter/block or just not understand MDNS, thus stopping iTunes from seeing the NAS. It is probably worth you looking on the router itself (enter https://192.168.1.254 in your browser, you might need to Google the username and password) and see if multicast can be enabled anywhere within the settings.

I don't recall seeing multicast mentioned anywhere my 585s settings, I don't know if the later versions do though.

Can't see anything in the setup guide that mentions multi-cast, although it is mentioned in a number of those other guides.

Would be good if I can finally get my NAS usable from a Wireless client.

So it seems I will have to resort to connecting by ethernet which will mean using homeplugs. Would they interfere with my other wireless devices and (dramatically) slow down internet on them?

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Router home page > Wireless > Configure.
There are two tick boxes - one labeled Interface Enabled and the other Allow multicast from broadband network.

Ports are:

3689 TCP - Itunes Sharing,Airplay

5297-5298 TCP/UDP - Bonjour

5353 UDP - Bonjour multicast DNS

9997- 9999 UDP

Could I clarify please that I need to do both steps which seem to be:

1) Tick "Allow multicast from broadband network"

2) Setup the static IP using the DNS 192.168.1.25 and then forward the ports

Or do I try 1) and if that doesn't work do 2)

I really can't express my appreciation for this help, especially as you're effectively giving me free professional advice. Very generous indeed.

Chisy

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Both.

If you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1b21JRNjA

you can see what I said earlier - that you might be able to get away without static IPs. Enter the network name - myNAS or whatever you've called it(of the NAS), when you do the port forwarding as seen 1min6secs into the video.

(The video is forwarding ports to a pc - but is essentially the same except you're forwarding ports to a NAS)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
There are two tick boxes - one labeled Interface Enabled and the other Allow multicast from broadband network.

Ports are:

9997- 9999 UDP

Hmm, that might work for Chisy and his iTunes (I have my doubts though) but it didn't work for me. All I'm trying to do is access my NAS through a standard windows share, no iTunes or anything like that, wired it works instantly but if the laptop is wireless you can see the shares that are available but you can't see any of the contents, it just times out after a couple of minutes saying the destination is unavailable (or words to that effect).

I already have the "Allow Multicast from Broadband Network" ticked and I don't see why any of the Bonjour/iTunes posts would make any difference as I'm not using iTunes.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
AnotherJoe said:

Ports are:

9997- 9999 UDP

Hmm, that might work for Chisy and his iTunes (I have my doubts though) but it didn't work for me. All I'm trying to do is access my NAS through a standard windows share, no iTunes or anything like that, wired it works instantly but if the laptop is wireless you can see the shares that are available but you can't see any of the contents, it just times out after a couple of minutes saying the destination is unavailable (or words to that effect).

I already have the "Allow Multicast from Broadband Network" ticked and I don't see why any of the Bonjour/iTunes posts would make any difference as I'm not using iTunes.

what sort of NAS is it - are you trying to connect through pc/laptop - is it running windows or osx or is it someother mobile device ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I can only connect to the NAS if the laptop is wired to the router, it won't connect wirelessly but everything else works fine. It's not unique to this laptop either, any wireless client fails to connect to the NAS.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I can map the drives on wireless but the contents never appear, connecting a cable will bring that up, then I rip a cd (or whatever I'm trying to do) and as soon as I disconnect the Ethernet cable I'm back to being unable to browse the content.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Before I suggest changing some of your network settings...what is the exact model of your router and the firmware version?

And everything works ok if you connect your laptop wired to the router - is that correct ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Product Name: Thomson Speedtouch ST585 Software Release: 6.2.17.5, it's a few years old now.

Just to be clear, everything works fine on wireless, except accessing the NAS shares and the NAS's web based setup pages. Connect an Ethernet cable and then everything works.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the following option is checked.

Select Home Network.

Click your WLAN, and in the topright click Configure

On the wireless access point page, modify security settings. Make sure that Allow New Devices is set to 'New Stations are Allowed (Automatically)'

*failing that you could try this firmware update. Its the latest one I had on my old 585v6 router (firmware 7.4.3.2)

http://www.speedtouchforum.de/Daten/FW/585iv6/7.4/ST585v6_ZZQIAA7.432.zip

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Make sure the following option is checked.

Select Home Network.

Click your WLAN, and in the topright click Configure

On the wireless access point page, modify security settings. Make sure that Allow New Devices is set to 'New Stations are Allowed (Automatically)'

Erm, I don't want to appear rude but why? I'm not having any trouble connecting the laptop to the wireless, as I said, everything else works, as in I can surf the internet and do any other network related operations, I just can't connect to the NAS shares. That's it, that's the only bit that doesn't work. I can tell you already that that setting won't make any difference because it was only a few weeks ago that I changed it to Allow (by registration) as I'd found a wireless client I didn't know about, and it the NAS connection didn't work back then either.

*failing that you could try this firmware update. Its the latest one I had on my old 585v6 router (firmware 7.4.3.2)

http://www.speedtouchforum.de/Daten/FW/585iv6/7.4/ST585v6_ZZQIAA7.432.zip

Hmm, that'll wipe the settings won't it? I really should take a backup of the router config, in fact I'll do that now...

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Did we ever find out if Chisy fixed his problem?

My first post was because I couldn't seem to get access to DRM movies (There are some other posts of mine in 'computer based music') in iTunes which I had moved to my NAS. I could only put this down to iTunes not sharing with the NAS, as all other media was accessible and I assumed DRM stuff needed the iTunes connection. I hadnt managed to get look at the solutions from anotherjoe until last night, but when I turned on iTunes to download a podcast it asked me if I wanted organise the library...it had done this when I first set up the NAS but that was a week ago and it had been on and off regularly over the last 7 days, anyway I said yes. This got me thinking and so I tried to access the DRM movie again and low and behold it worked, so I haven't needed to try the static IP route as everything seems to work now, provided I map the NAS folder to my iMac.

So thanks again for all the help, but it all seems to have fixed itself.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
In trying to recreate your problem, the only way I can do it is by unselecting the option mentioned above.

The only other thing I can suggest trying is the normal reset of windows share.

Do the following whilst connected by wireless.....

ControlPanel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre.

Click on Change advanced sharing settings. Turn Off network Discovery. Save. Turn On network Discovery.

Click on 'Choose Media Streaming options'. Select 'Show Devices on All Networks'. Click 'Allow All'. Click ok.Save.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
In trying to recreate your problem, the only way I can do it is by unselecting the option mentioned above.

Ok, well I've tried it, no dice.

The only other thing I can suggest trying is the normal reset of windows share.

Do the following whilst connected by wireless.....

ControlPanel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre.

Click on Change advanced sharing settings. Turn Off network Discovery. Save. Turn On network Discovery.

Click on 'Choose Media Streaming options'. Select 'Show Devices on All Networks'. Click 'Allow All'. Click ok.Save.

Sorry, no good but then I've always believed this is down to the router anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts