Yamaha MusicCast WXA-50 to MusicCast 20 connection

theProduct

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of a poor connection between a Yamaha WXA-50 amp and a MusicCast 20 speaker.

The MusicCast 20 frequently stutters and drops out (usually about every 20 seconds!) when linked to the WXA-50, with the latter being the master. On their own, both are fine.

I have connected a project turntable via a project phono to the WXA-50, which is running two wired monitor audio speakers. This works fine. I also stream to the WXA-50 from Spotify. This works fine. They’re in my dining room.

I have the MusicCast 20 because I want to a) listen to vinyl in the next door kitchen and b) listen to Spotify or the radio in there too.

If I stream Spotify directly to the MusicCast 20, or listen to the radio through it, everything is fine.

The only issue is when I’m linking the two Yamaha devices with the WXA-50 as the master. Then the MusicCast 20 stutters and drops out. The bet I’ve managed is about 3 minutes.

Both are connected to Virgin Media 108mbps wifi. In both rooms I get about 80mbps most of the time. Lowest is about 28mbps. (The router is in my lounge, the other side of the dining room from the kitchen.) the MusicCast amp rates the WiFi at between 62 and 80 out of 100 in each room.

They are the only two devices connected to my WiFi at 2.4ghz.

I feel confident the WiFi network isn’t the issue because they work fine individually when streaming. The problem is the connection between them.

I have moved the MusicCast speaker so it is right next to the router, and so it is in the same room as the WXA-50, about 6 feet from it. I have also reset both and set them up again. No change.

Has anyone here had a similar issue and resolved it?

I’ve had them 2 days and I’m considering sending them back and getting Sonos instead. (I didn’t want to do that originally because I’m put off by their legacy device issues.)

Thanks

Tonestar1

I'd maybe try changing your wi-fi channel as it could be interfering with the mesh connection between the two devices. Unlikely but worth a shot. I'd also look to check if wither device needs a firmware upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts