Problems setting up Onkyo 876 Amp to B&W 685 system

AdrianCoates

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I've just taken my kit out of storage due to working abroad and have tried resetting up my system (Onkyo 876 amp to B&W 685 home theatre system)

All works perfectly except the sub-woofer: I've connected the sub cable to the purple output on the amp (marked subwoofer) then into the sub - this has 2 inputs marked L & R and from memory it was in L but I've tried both. The sub has its own power supply which is on (green light on the back) and when I flick the end of the sub cable I get a boom from the sub so I know it's working but the amp can't find the sub when I run a speaker test. Have I done something really stupid?

Any help much appreciated

thanks

AdrianCoates

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks fot the advice but still no joy. I've checked the user guide and I'm pretty sure it's in the right hole. So - could it be one of these issues:

1. The sub isn't working - probably unlikely as the light is on and there is a thump when taping the input wire

2. The wire is broken / directional - again unlikely because of the thump

3. The output for my amp is broken - everything else on the amp works and the connector is right in the middle so would be really bad luck for this to go?

If I take the sub & amp back to SSAV would they be able to test / how much would I be looking at for a test or repair

Thanks again

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
As you look at the back of the amp. The correct hole is the 5th from the right and on the second row down. I have just checked my 876 and that is where mine is. Hope this helps?

Matt

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
After checking that you have indeed used the correct subwoofer output and you still get no joy, I would go into the amp's setup menu and ensure that LFE or whatever it is called on your amp is set to On.

What bass management settings are you using? To test the sub, you could connect it to another output.

nads

AdrianCoates:

Thanks fot the advice but still no joy. I've checked the user guide and I'm pretty sure it's in the right hole.

so have you checked the amp?

as this is the single most common issue with subs.people (myself included) connecting to the wrong purple connector.

if you have connected to the one in the white background area it is correct

big pic http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/21550925_9454c8affb.jpg

smaller pic.

if you are connected correctly and when you run Audyssey you dont hear the sub then yes something is bust.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts