Problem with Retailer/Manufacturer

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Hope someone can help.

Having a problem with my amp, thought I had tested it OK. The sound only comes out of left or right and when I switch off and on again it's vice versa and then at other times it sounds as it should through both speakers. This happens through speakers and the headphone output also. I thought it might be the input (laptop via DAC and CD player) but the same problem from both sources.

Long story short, it's still in guarantee and so I sent it back for repair, but they say they have tested it for a week and not found a problem. I'm a bit confused by this as I thought I had tested it fairly thoroughly at home. They now want to courier back to me (with me paying towards costs). Has anyone one else had a problem like this and what are my rights, what should I do?

Thanks

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi thanks for responses, yes I am in the UK, would prefer to not state manufacturer or retailer unless I need to.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
mc500 said:
Hi thanks for responses, yes I am in the UK, would prefer to not state manufacturer or retailer unless I need to.

OK in UK your contract is with the retailer, you should have taken it up with him, Sale of Goods Act. A decent dealer would sort it out for you. Now it seems you sent to the manufacturer direct?

How long since you bought the amp?

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks BigH, had it for over 2 years and the warranty is for 3 years. I sent back to retailer and the retailer sent back to manufacturer's agent for testing I understand.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Check guarantee wording. I would not expect to pay anything (no postage). Check your rights (Sale of Goods). Escalate to the top if you dont get satisfaction. Some of my 'fights' have been documented here - know your rights and dont take no.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
mc500 said:
Thanks BigH, had it for over 2 years and the warranty is for 3 years. I sent back to retailer and the retailer sent back to manufacturer's agent for testing I understand.

OK for first 6 months if you have problem its upto retailer to prove there is not a fault, after 6 months the onus is on you I believe. But you have manufacturers warranty of 3 years, so yes read the small print. Sale of Goods Act you have upto 6 years to claim for faulty goods but onus on you to prove there is a fault not just wear and tear or misuse. It seems you have done the right thing. Its a bit tricky one, I suggest you say you are not happy, there is clearly a fault and see what they say. If not satisfied you can get an independant report done and take them to court. But you are unlikely to get the full amount refunded as you have used it for 2 years. As for postage I think you usually have to pay to return it, not sure about coming back.

In addition to the sound advice above, I'd suggest taking your CDP and/or laptop to the dealer when your amp is returned, to satisy yourself before accepting it back.

It is pretty unusual to be intermittent on either channel (whereas on just one is a more typical fault). It makes me wonder if something else is adrift.

You are connecting the CDP by twin phono lead, yes? But the laptop, is that USB or 3.5mm jack? The latter can often play up.

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone, really helpful. The CD player is connected with phono leads and the laptop uses a USB DAC that is connected to a 3.5mm jack to stereo phono leads. The dealer is far away from me, lesson learned there, I guess I could ask the dealer to hook it up and do their own test for 10 minutes.

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There is a light near by, but it's never caused a problem before and my phone is not near it, the amp sits on the CD player in a rack and then on the rack above is the laptop, but always been fine.

mc500 said:
Thanks everyone, really helpful. The CD player is connected with phono leads and the laptop uses a USB DAC that is connected to a 3.5mm jack to stereo phono leads. The dealer is far away from me, lesson learned there, I guess I could ask the dealer to hook it up and do their own test for 10 minutes.
Worth asking the dealer to do that, definitely. Had it only been your laptop, I'd still suspect the 3.5mm jack, but if the CDP gave the same symptoms it does seem most likely to lie within the amp.

Fingers crossed!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
mc500 said:
Worth asking the dealer to do that, definitely. Had it only been your laptop, I'd still suspect the 3.5mm jack, but if the CDP gave the same symptoms it does seem most likely to lie within the amp.

Fingers crossed!

3.5mm jack = culprit no.1

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
nopiano said:
mc500 said:

Fingers crossed!

3.5mm jack = culprit no.1

I have to say it sounds like a connection problem to me. For you to get an intermittant fault on both channels of an amplifier as you describe sounds extremely unlikely.

I can understand the retailer/manufacturer not wanting to pay for shipping about what is most likely a working amplifier, some careful and logical cable swapping would probably have shown up the issue in your home or at the dealer.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, it can't be the connections since he tested both CDP with RCAs and DAC with Y cable and the issue persists. It could be a faulty relay working and not working intermittently.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Hmm, it can't be the connections since he tested both CDP with RCAs and DAC with Y cable and the issue persists. It could be a faulty relay working and not working intermittently.
I think more convinced to this statement as suppose the other two above.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Had a similar problem with a turntable with sound only coming out of one channel, sent it back to the dealer who found no issue so sent it back free of charge. Turned out it was my mistake :/ ...... guess it helps if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I also had a problem with an Amp & it was returned. Only to put it back on & the problem of noise from one channel was still there. Arranged for it to be picked up again & same result no problem. Untill I googled it found out others had the problem.

Wrote an official letter to head office. Within 3days got a phone call & got an apology. Got new upgraded amp. Some manufacters or managers can be stuborn.

Had a similar story will gaming laptop aswell & it went as far as small claims court. Got money refunded with new machine.. Result!!

But he will soon find out. But with intermittent problems it can be hard to pin down.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Vladimir said:
I think more convinced to this statement as suppose the other two above.

Of course you could both be right, it is possible but my experience as a dealer suggests that most issues of the type descriped by the OP is a user/connection issue. You need to be logical and methodical, go through all the connections one at a time and rule out components and cables one by one. It is pretty easy to get this wrong, even experienced 'pros' will get it wrong if they are not on the ball.

Difficult to put a number on this, but the bulk, perhaps 60-70%, of the 'faulty' amplifiers that were returned to us were absolutely fine, whatever the customer said, we always checked the item ourselves, in the shop and if possible in front of the owner.

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, received my amp back and works perfectly, all I have done is plug it in, nothing else has changed. Not sure what conclusion to draw really. Thanks for all your help.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Keep your eye on the problem. Sounds like it could be a loose connection. Send an email to the dealer saying that it appears to be working fine for now. Cover yourself should it happen again in the next few months.

TRENDING THREADS