Probably a very stupid question..

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Im playing about with an old amp Iv been given, and I notice that if I plug my Ipod into the Phono it stupidly bassy and distorted, but if I plug my old record player into it and it now plays perfectly.....I assume this is normal, but why?

I now have my ipod plugged into CD (I think) and my record player into Phono and it all seems to play perfectly, but I thought anything could be plugged into the Phono.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The phono input has higher gain, due to the very low output of phono cartridges, and also re-equalisation designed to undo the effects of the equalisation involved in the record mastering process.

Plugging the iPod into CD - or any other line input (such as tape in, tuner, aux) - is the way to go.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
The phono input on an amplifier is intended solely for turntables (I assume it's short for phonograph!).
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Anything can be plugged into there if you don't have a built in phone stage inside the amp, which by the sounds of it you do. Without the built in phono stage the deck would sound very quiet, which I expect you will find if you plug it into any other input.

Keep the ipod plugged into another input, and the deck into the phono.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
The phono input has higher gain, due to the very low output of phono cartridges, and also re-equalisation designed to undo the effects of the equalisation involved in the record mastering process.

Plugging the iPod into CD - or any other line input (such as tape in, tuner, aux) - is the way to go.

Could someone explain this equalisation involved in the record mastering process? This is news to me.

A

Anonymous

From Wikipedia:

Phonograph recordings are made with high frequencies boosted. This reduces background noise, including clicks or pops, and also conserves the amount of physical space needed for each groove, by reducing the size of the larger low-frequency undulations. During playback the high frequencies are rescaled to their original level. This is accomplished in the amplifier with a "PHONO" input that incorporates standardizedÿRIAA equalizationÿcircuitry.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts