Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaning machine

iceman16

The Pro-Ject VC-S arrived today in a bigger double box(well..compared to the Knosti) and it's pretty heavy. Installation is quite simple and easy, just screw on the small platter, insert the vacuum tube and of course the power cord (Youtube always helps). A small 50ml of liquid cleaning solution is included and 500ml of empty plastic bottle for the mixture. Now for the plus side..I was amazed how my records got cleaned in no time without rinsing and waiting for them to dry thanks to the very powerful vacuum. Each lp just took an average of 3 min. both side from start to dry finish.

The included Pro-Ject clean IT solution does the job really well without any residue on the vinyl. Just mix 1:10 or 1:20 with distilled water but this varies on how dirty the records. The cleaned records looks like they were new and sparkly.

Now the negative side..The motor is a bit noisy and the vacuum is as loud or much noisier than our Henry hoover! Over all Im quite satisfied and happy with this purchase and I strongly recommend the Pro-ject vcs if you have large collection of vinyl records or planning to do so.

@Al ears.. I think you need to get one sir!
regular_smile.png

iceman16 said:
The Pro-Ject VC-S arrived today in a bigger double box(well..compared to the Knosti) and it's pretty heavy. Installation is quite simple and easy, just screw on the small platter, insert the vacuum tube and of course the power cord (Youtube always helps). A small 50ml of liquid cleaning solution is included and 500ml of empty plastic bottle for the mixture. Now for the plus side..I was amazed how my records got cleaned in no time without rinsing and waiting for them to dry thanks to the very powerful vacuum. Each lp just took an average of 3 min. both side from start to dry finish.

The included Pro-Ject clean IT solution does the job really well without any residue on the vinyl. Just mix 1:10 or 1:20 with distilled water but this varies on how dirty the records. The cleaned records looks like they were new and sparkly.

Now the negative side..The motor is a bit noisy and the vacuum is as loud or much noisier than our Henry hoover! Over all Im quite satisfied and happy with this purchase and I strongly recommend the Pro-ject vcs if you have large collection of vinyl records or planning to do so.

@Al ears.. I think you need to get one sir!

They are all well known to be noisy, just par for the course. Does it come with a lid?

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
ifor said:
Apparently the new version is much quieter than the old. Which is this?

Wot he said mister..... avoiding a direct link to product, but press release here - https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/cms/content/viewfile?FileId=131&ContentId=79
Doesn't come with a lid, but lids are available for an extra 25 squid. 7" kit available as well.
Tis nice though and a lot better to use than the previous model.
I might even contemplate trading in my trusty SpinClean sometime soon.

iceman16

Al ears said:
iceman16 said:
No it does’nt come with a lid which is separate purchase available for £25.

Thanks, that's probably worth it, although without an actual platter to cover it may, indeed, be surplus to requirements.

Al.. and why would I bother to get a lid if I can store it in its box when not in use? Yup its a mk1 but before Ive manage to go online. I've cleaned 50+ lps!

iceman16 said:
Al ears said:
iceman16 said:

Thanks, that's probably worth it, although without an actual platter to cover it may, indeed, be surplus to requirements.

Al.. and why would I bother to get a lid if I can store it in its box when not in use? Yup its a mk1 but before Ive manage to go online. I've cleaned 50+ lps!

In a box? Don't you want to show it off? ;-)

iceman16

Al ears said:
iceman16 said:
Al ears said:
iceman16 said:

In a box? Don't you want to show it off? ;-)

Not necessary iI think.

D

Deleted member 108165

thescarletpronster said:
I'm tempted to get one of these, especially if they've become a lot quieter..........what's the best cartridge to use with this model? ;-)

I hear Dyson have an excellent range of cartridges coming soon *biggrin*

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
After reading the comments here called my local Audio T, they're getting one of the new models in for me to demo. They reckon it's just as noisy as the earlier model, will let you know what I think...

6and8 said:
After reading the comments here called my local Audio T, they're getting one of the new models in for me to demo. They reckon it's just as noisy as the earlier model, will let you know what I think...

Strange that as the Mark 2 is advertised to have a new quieter motor.... I guess everything is relative.. ;-)

6and8 said:

Strange that as the Mark 2 is advertised to have a new quieter motor.... I guess everything is relative.. ;-)

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
6and8 said:

The vacuum is still the same, that's how they work and that's why they're so effective.
The motor that drives the spindle that rotates the platter is a lot quieter than the MK1.

brownz said:
Al ears said:
6and8 said:

The vacuum is still the same, that's how they work and that's why they're so effective.The motor that drives the spindle that rotates the platter is a lot quieter than the MK1.

Thanks for clarification. I guess, like most others, it's still a noisy sucker then.. ;-)

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Picked up the beast yesterday, Audio T got me one really quickly. Assembly was a simple, straightforward affair, even for someone like me. Yet to actually use it though, while checking which switch turned on what I accidentally turned on the vacuum, late night cleaning sessions probably not a good idea if I want to remain on good terms with the neighbours. So daytime and weekends, but no more complaints about the bathroom being jammed up with racks of drying records. Can't wait to get started.

6and8 said:
Picked up the beast yesterday, Audio T got me one really quickly. Assembly was a simple, straightforward affair, even for someone like me. Yet to actually use it though, while checking which switch turned on what I accidentally turned on the vacuum, late night cleaning sessions probably not a good idea if I want to remain on good terms with the neighbours. So daytime and weekends, but no more complaints about the bathroom being jammed up with racks of drying records. Can't wait to get started.

... to invest in a good pair of ear-defenders from local hardware store?? ;-)

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how much more effective this VC-S at cleaning record surfaces than the Knosti Disco Anti-stat? I appreciate this is a lot easier to use, but how much cleaner does it actually get records? I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to trade up. Thanks in advance!

iceman16

thescarletpronster said:
Can anyone tell me how much more effective this VC-S at cleaning record surfaces than the Knosti Disco Anti-stat? I appreciate this is a lot easier to use, but how much cleaner does it actually get records? I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to trade up. Thanks in advance!

I still have the Knosti before I bought the VC-S. IME the VC-S does a better job compare to the Knosti. And for the price its a bargain compare to other rcm.

thescarletpronster said:

I cannot answer directly as I haven't used one but I do own a Knosti and I am thinking of getting this machine purely because of the number of LPs I need to clean. I have little enough time at home to sit and have a good listen so anything that speeds up this process is quite valuable, even if it cleans no better than a Knosti (which I am sure it does). I have had the odd LP cleaned at a local record store (believe they use a Monks machine and they were very good indeed).

I'd say, altimately, it would depend on the size of your vinyl collection. Perhaps Iceman is better placed to answer regards level of performance. If he says it's better than the Knosti results then that's good enough for me. It's on my Christmas list.

Nemo

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
I have owned a VC-S since earlier this year, and in that time have cleaned hundreds of LP’s.

previously, I used a spin clean, which washed well enough, from the clag I would find in the bottom of the trough, but of course, it did not dry the record.

it was good enough, but tedious to use, if cleaning a lot of records. Did not like the drying cloths provided.

i would say that the VH-S cleans as well as a manual cleaner. It’s party trick is drying a record. It surely goes without saying that a fresh inner liner should be used. From taking a record out of its sleeve to putting it washed and dried into a new sleeve, takes two minutes.

My concern is the build quality. If you have ever played the board game “ Scattergories” the spinner motor sounds as clockwork as that. It does the job, but how long will it last? The vacuum is, obviously noisy. Go figure. Does that matter? It does the job. The cleaning fluid is mixed with de ionised water and leaves no residue. Don’t be tempted to make it stronger for dirtier records, just wash for longer.

All in all a good machine at the price. Build quality is fair at the price, although the labelling will curl and fall off. Anyone who owns one might like to remove the inspection panel from underneath to see what’s what inside, no harm can be done if you do, and you will see where all those five litre plastic containers for screen wash that you see on the garage forecourt end up when empty.

I own about 2,000 albums, and counting, I like to buy job lots at car boots and pass on the unwanted ones to charity shops. Too much time on my hands since semi retirement.

Would recommend to anyone that finds hand washing tedious. I also wash new vinyl before playing too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts