Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaning machine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Nemo said:
I have owned a VC-S since earlier this year, and in that time have cleaned hundreds of LP’s.

previously, I used a spin clean, which washed well enough, from the clag I would find in the bottom of the trough, but of course, it did not dry the record.

it was good enough, but tedious to use, if cleaning a lot of records. Did not like the drying cloths provided.

i would say that the VH-S cleans as well as a manual cleaner. It’s party trick is drying a record. It surely goes without saying that a fresh inner liner should be used. From taking a record out of its sleeve to putting it washed and dried into a new sleeve, takes two minutes.

My concern is the build quality. If you have ever played the board game “ Scattergories” the spinner motor sounds as clockwork as that. It does the job, but how long will it last? The vacuum is, obviously noisy. Go figure. Does that matter? It does the job. The cleaning fluid is mixed with de ionised water and leaves no residue. Don’t be tempted to make it stronger for dirtier records, just wash for longer.

All in all a good machine at the price. Build quality is fair at the price, although the labelling will curl and fall off. Anyone who owns one might like to remove the inspection panel from underneath to see what’s what inside, no harm can be done if you do, and you will see where all those five litre plastic containers for screen wash that you see on the garage forecourt end up when empty.

I own about 2,000 albums, and counting, I like to buy job lots at car boots and pass on the unwanted ones to charity shops. Too much time on my hands since semi retirement.

Would recommend to anyone that finds hand washing tedious. I also wash new vinyl before playing too.

Thanks for your input Nemo. It's a good appraisal.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Nemo said:
I have owned a VC-S since earlier this year, and in that time have cleaned hundreds of LP’s.

previously, I used a spin clean, which washed well enough, from the clag I would find in the bottom of the trough, but of course, it did not dry the record.

it was good enough, but tedious to use, if cleaning a lot of records. Did not like the drying cloths provided.

i would say that the VH-S cleans as well as a manual cleaner. It’s party trick is drying a record. It surely goes without saying that a fresh inner liner should be used. From taking a record out of its sleeve to putting it washed and dried into a new sleeve, takes two minutes.

My concern is the build quality. If you have ever played the board game “ Scattergories” the spinner motor sounds as clockwork as that. It does the job, but how long will it last? The vacuum is, obviously noisy. Go figure. Does that matter? It does the job. The cleaning fluid is mixed with de ionised water and leaves no residue. Don’t be tempted to make it stronger for dirtier records, just wash for longer.

All in all a good machine at the price. Build quality is fair at the price, although the labelling will curl and fall off. Anyone who owns one might like to remove the inspection panel from underneath to see what’s what inside, no harm can be done if you do, and you will see where all those five litre plastic containers for screen wash that you see on the garage forecourt end up when empty.

I own about 2,000 albums, and counting, I like to buy job lots at car boots and pass on the unwanted ones to charity shops. Too much time on my hands since semi retirement.

Would recommend to anyone that finds hand washing tedious. I also wash new vinyl before playing too.

Thanks for your input Nemo. It's a good appraisal.

It's a spot on appraisal.

We did listen (to both customers and the units !) and fed this back to Pro-Ject.

All the UK stock here is the MKII - with the negative points addressed.

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/cms/content/news/329

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Next time I’ll try L’art du son which I still got 90% in the bottle and compare with the Pro-ject own liquid solution.

Ah, the holy grail of cleaning fluid refined from the tears of unicorns sacfrificed on the first full moon in alternate months of the year !

Often been tempted. Never bought any yet...

brownz said:
iceman16 said:
Next time I’ll try L’art du son which I still got 90% in the bottle and compare with the Pro-ject own liquid solution.

Ah, the holy grail of cleaning fluid refined from the tears of unicorns sacfrificed on the first full moon in alternate months of the year !

Often been tempted. Never bought any yet...

Some people swear by it, others simply curse at the price. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts