Pro-ject Debut III owners - need quick answer to question

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Quick question for all Debut III owners, need a response asap.

I just picked one up. All set up right I think and sounds fine. I noticed the occassional mechanical clunking sound (best description i can think off) that you can hear as the record goes round on a couple of tracks (also sound comes through amp).

Trying to figure out what it might be - I noticed there is extremely little clearance between the cartridge and the record, half a mm or less. The part of the cartridge that is supposed to be flat and parallel to the record, there is a little bit that sticks out about half way along from a sort of silvery bit on the underside of the cartridge (I apologise for this truely terrible description but I have no technical knowledge of such things). It is this part that is extremely close to the record and i think might cause this noise if it touches the record??? So is the cartridge duff or is this the design?? Looking at it, it looks as though it is virtually touching the record (and presumably damaging it).

Thanks in advance

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
http://www.blackpointmusic.cz/shop/images/covers/DKSOMB5E.jpg

if you take a look at that picture you can see the silver bit I'm referring to. On my cartridge it's almost touching the record and times and definitely sticks out a little compared to the black shell surrounding it.

A

Anonymous

If that part is touching the record, the tracking weight may be set too high. I've the same setup and have not had a problem. Could also be that the cartridge suspension has gone, amongst other things, but loosen of the tracking weight first to see if it helps.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Get the instructions out and start from scratch (sorry) with the whole set-up procedure especially the balancing of the arm to establish zero tracking force before setting zero on the calibrated scale and dialling in the recommended amount again. (1.75gms I think)

If you don't have instructions here they are.....

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_debut.pdf

Failing that, put 'Henley Please Help' in the title of your thread and Henley Designs (a contributor here on WHF and UK distributor for Project) may notice your plight and help.

Good luck.

PS the tracking force for your OM5E cartridge is 1.75 grams...

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/product.asp?shop=0&ProductID=2

Regrettably that Henley designs link above shows two recommended tracking force ranges and two different recommended tracking forces! So that's not confusing eh?

(1.25gms and 1.75gms)

Try both.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Cheers for the replies guys.

I just got it yesterday, and took my time with the setup to make sure it was done right and then double checked it all.

If i can elaborate on my description a bit more. When a record is playing, obviously the stylus sticks out at the end, and the cartridge has a flat bit that lies parallel to the record. Where the square silver bit is (as in the link to the image i posted), it also sticks out towards the record and either has a tiny tiny clearance and at times looks as if it is as good as touching the record. I had a genie II before - and i remember there being good clearance between the cartridge and the record.

Away to try reducing the tracking force a little. Thanks for the responses so far.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Oh, and for what it's worth. It sounds as though there is too much tracking force or that the suspension on the cartridge has collapsed. Either way, we can advise accordingly.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Tried reducing the tracking force as suggested - no change. I'm 95% sure it's setup okay, spent a long time looking for instructions on the internet that make some sense, as opposed to the manual that was provided. Followed all the steps carefully.

Double checked all this - set the counterweight back to 0, made sure the arm was floating horizontally - and set the correct tracking force again. Looking along the record I'd say the gap between this bit sticking out on the cartridge and the record is about half a millimeter, at times it looks as though it is touching.

TT was bought brand new. Very disappointed. Had a genie II prior to this which, rather bizarrely, had a spindle which was too large for 90% of records to fit over.

A

Anonymous

At this point, I'd take the deck back to your dealer. If it is the suspension, you'll need a new needle.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
As I've always said, call us or talk to your dealer. It's what we're here for!!

Considering the many thousands of turntables made, there will always be a very small proportion that do not meet our expectations and we will always do whatever we can to resolve the issue as promptly as possible.

A

Anonymous

I have exactly the same issue as you and it is driving me mad. I'm going to return my turntable today I think, and exchange for another.

However, looking at the Henley link, could the difference be that some of the cartridges are P-Mount and others are 1/2 inch, which have different weights and thus require different tracking forces?

If this is the case, then the instruction manual hasn't been updated.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris,

I tried adjusting the tracking force but to no avail.

As for the instruction manual - not only does it contradict itself at points it generally makes no sense.

Two duff pro-ject turntables in a row... and some damage to the records no doubt. Very disappointing.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough! I'm not a Debut fan, by the way, far too much background noise for my liking, but never had the problem that you've had. The entry level Regas are so much better.

A

Anonymous

Took mine in today and the guy was a little suspect with what I was saying, for some reason. He said he wanted to test it and the shop was due to close shortly, so he's going to test it in the morning and give me a ring.

There's no way I'm going to let him talk me into thinking it is okay. Something is definitely wrong with the stylus.

I hope the replacement is ok, otherwise it looks like I will be turntable shopping again!

What kind of damage will this have done to my poor records?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts