Primare I30 vs. Kandy K2 integrated

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to demo either one of these integrateds especially with the Kandy being so new. I also know the Primare has given up it's first place status here in the expensive integrated amp category. The Primare is twice as expensive as the Kandy, but if I (or you) had the chance to purchase a used Primare at the same price as a new Kandy, what would you do? Is the Primare I30 that much better? Regards.

Steve

A

Anonymous

If you have the chance of having it at the same price of the kandy...(and it is in perfect conditions) for sure, get the Primare.If buying new (i mean both new), I would get the roksan.

The Primare i30 plays in another league. It's a full balanced dual mono design and it has superb built quality and marvellous design.

The only con about the Primare (my personal opinion) is that you have to turn the volume up to more than the half of the its range for it to start show it's real sound.

John Duncan

stevo238:I haven't had a chance to demo either one of these integrateds especially with the Kandy being so new. I also know the Primare has given up it's first place status here in the expensive integrated amp category. The Primare is twice as expensive as the Kandy, but if I (or you) had the chance to purchase a used Primare at the same price as a new Kandy, what would you do? Is the Primare I30 that much better? Regards.

Steve

Is this a trick question?

A

Anonymous

I'd be surprised if the Primare wasn't 'that much better' to be honest. Having said that it's about synergy so there may be a reason you prefer the Kandy. Would be bloody surprised though...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i haven't heard the new kandy range so can't compare. the i30 is much better then the kandy amp i have, better controlled bass, cleaner, more transparent, better soundstaging. just don't partner it with a kandy cdp, the treble will have your ears off!

A

Anonymous

Not a trick question. I live in the USA. The Primare's are listed on Audiogon.com very often but they don't seem to sell. I think that's because it's considered European and people are unfamiliar with the brand.

I can buy an 8 month old unit in flawless shape with remaining warranty for 1/2 the price of a new one. No joke. Is the Primare twice as good as the Roksan or is the Roksan a completely different animal? With regard to the volume control, I've also read that you have to be at 40+ to make the amp boogie.

John Duncan

stevo238:Not a trick question.

My apologies - as a Primare Fanboy© I must confess a certain prejudice.

stevo238:Is the Primare twice as good as the Roksan

Impossible to quantify 'twice', but the Primare is unquestionably the best integrated amp I've heard. If they're the same price, and the Primare is in good condition, there is simply no contest.

A

Anonymous

Employing the rule of diminishing returns with each at their respective new price points, I agree that it's hard to quantify as twice as good. I'm starting to realize though that the Primare must be one special beast. Thanks for the input.

A

Anonymous

Objectively, the I30 is built beautifully and should last for years and years. On this alone it makes it a worthy purchase over the Kandy, even though the Kandy is pretty good too. Many hail the I30 as the best integrated amp under £2k but others say the same about the Musical Fidelity A5.5.

It does rather sound like you can take advantage of people's lack of understanding of the product. A rare opportunity but one to be investigated. Can you audition them both?

A

Anonymous

Yes. I can get a Kandy unit for 30 days on loan. I'd almost feel obligated to buying it though. The Primare would be a 2 and a 1/2 hour drive to a dealer. The unit I'm interested in is a private sale on Audiogon.com. Decisions......decisions.

A

Anonymous

2 1/2 hours in the car very well spent.

I tried Roksan,Quad 900 series , Densen and Primare.
12 months on it's still a real delight to get home and get a listening session started.I had the 130 at home for 6 weeks but managed to russle up another few hundred quid and bought the pre and power without even hearing them,that's how confident I was of the Primare standard.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for the Primare without a shadow of doubt.

Does it matter how far the volume control has to be turned? My old A400 only went up to 10 on a clock before being totally too loud but my Arcam has a spinner that has to go round fully before getting loud at all. But it goes round another twice before getting too loud.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Mohawk, what was your feeling on the current Quad stuff?

my possitive feelings were VERY brief.
the power amp packed up after 2 tracks,dead as a dodo.
I then went through 3 cdp's in a week,none of them was able to read more than 1 disc in every 4.
to this day neither myself or my retailer has had any explanation.
it sounded ok but I can't really give an informed opinion as I was always waiting for the bloody things to fail.
not a relaxing situation.not really a relaxing sound from what I remember.

A

Anonymous

I've had the Kandy LIII Amplifier and very recently upgraded to the Primare I30. This amp is simply in a different league. While the Kandy was a good amp, it cannot match the Primare

At the price you've been quoted, it's no contest - the Primare it is! About the volume knob, yes it's true - the difference is it is never harsh, no matter how much you turn it up to. Try that with the Kandy and you will know what I mean.

A

Anonymous

Thanks EvilWolf. This last post has crystalized to me what I've been waiting to here, that it's in a class by itself. Time to demo the Primare and demo it soon.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Oh to have an audiogon.co.uk

ÿ

You don't say...my first audiophile experience was through Audiogon. Let's just say that I enjoyed listening to an amplifier that was stolen (no warranty, obviously) and speakers that were modified rather freely (upside-down tweeters, anyone?). Never again, I would say.

Anyways, I've had Roksan Kandy MKIII and for me it was nothing speical. Lean and powerful comes to mind.

Primare has always been providing more sophisticated machines, and I still kick myself for the time when I could've traded in the Roksan for just a few hundred dollars. Go for it!

A

Anonymous

You'd be wiser listenign to the Cyrus 8vs2 as it whips these two into fits.

A

Anonymous

Rev:You'd be wiser listenign to the Cyrus 8vs2 as it whips these two into fits.
This guy has a great sense of humour...

A

Anonymous

He's been banging away at that accoustic guitar for far too long
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

You did mate -

''I'd go for the Primare without a shadow of doubt''.
emotion-19.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
evilwolf, what do you think of the primare cdp? is it the ideal partner for the amp?

although it didn't match my cdp, the i30 i demo'ed, has gotten under my skin a bit and i'm wondering what would be a good match for it. having heard an exposure 3010 cdp through the i30, i now know the unpleasant edge to the treble was coming from my kandy cdp. i wasn't blown away by the exposure though.

has anyone any thoughts on cd6se and i30?

A

Anonymous

That edge is the reason I got rid of my Kandy CDP. Drove me up the wall. The MF XRay 8 is much better and it's £500 at the mo. The Primare I30 when I heard it on the matching amp was excellent, a smooth and open combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts