Pre Amp...Power Amp...Phonostage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
jonathanRD said:
First of all - think of a triangle in terms of speaker placement and your listening position. For example the speakers should be positioned at your ear height (or angled to face your ears) and say six feet apart with you sat about 6 - 7 feet away. In between the speakers is the best place for the amp and turntable. The speaker cables are best kept to the same length (to each speaker) and could run along the wall each way from the amp. The turntable could sit next to the amp, but to avoid vibration, the speakers should be placed on a different surface to the turntable. As others have advised, the best solution is to put the speakers on stands. (Maybe have a look for some 2nd hand stands). That's a basic description to start with. Have a think about where they can all be placed to follow the above and where you will sit to listen.

I asked what the size of your room was just to give us an idea of what will work or not. And a description of the room in terms of what type of room, floor type, furnishings etc will help us advise further. Cables are easy to sort out and you can get quite cheap stuff but if you do buy from a shop they very often will give you some free.

Room is a 3.6 x 3.6m square

One side is cupboards from end to end, with a space between the cupboards and door where some shelves are (mentioned above). Side adjacent has the door and a desk with a computer. Side opposite the cupbards has a double bed extending into the room and a side table. Side opposite desk is windows. Floor is carpeted.

There isn't really a suitable triangle except either side of the desk, yet the turntable couldn't be in the middle as that is where the computer is.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Brent W said:
Al ears said:
I don't think anything is going to fit on that shelf. If the speakers went there they would not be far enough apart and too close to the wall.

Best to keep speakers on the same side of room as the amp.

I dont have many good places to put speakers in my room, are wall mounted ones suitable? Or could I have a single speaker rather than two

You can get speaker stands for as low as 40-50 quid for the pair. You can also improvise with some bar stools from Ikea. You can also buy sorbothane feet or angled foam pads to put under the speakers if they have to go on the shelf. The turntable however, must be on a separate surface so it desn't suffer from the vibrations.

Brent W said:
Al ears said:
I don't think anything is going to fit on that shelf. If the speakers went there they would not be far enough apart and too close to the wall.

I dont have many good places to put speakers in my room, are wall mounted ones suitable? Or could I have a single speaker rather than two

You'll need a pair for stereo. Most speakers are only sold in pairs.

You could get some wall brackets to mount them possibly.

Vladimir said:
Brent W said:
Al ears said:

You can get speaker stands for as low as 40-50 quid for the pair. You can also improvise with some bar stools from Ikea. You can also buy sorbothane feet or angled foam pads to put under the speakers if they have to go on the shelf. The turntable however, must be on a separate surface so it desn't suffer from the vibrations.

+1

Brent W said:
jonathanRD said:
First of all - think of a triangle in terms of speaker placement and your listening position. For example the speakers should be positioned at your ear height (or angled to face your ears) and say six feet apart with you sat about 6 - 7 feet away. In between the speakers is the best place for the amp and turntable. The speaker cables are best kept to the same length (to each speaker) and could run along the wall each way from the amp. The turntable could sit next to the amp, but to avoid vibration, the speakers should be placed on a different surface to the turntable. As others have advised, the best solution is to put the speakers on stands. (Maybe have a look for some 2nd hand stands). That's a basic description to start with. Have a think about where they can all be placed to follow the above and where you will sit to listen.

I asked what the size of your room was just to give us an idea of what will work or not. And a description of the room in terms of what type of room, floor type, furnishings etc will help us advise further. Cables are easy to sort out and you can get quite cheap stuff but if you do buy from a shop they very often will give you some free.

Room is a 3.6 x 3.6m square

One side is cupboards from end to end, with a space between the cupboards and door where some shelves are (mentioned above). Side adjacent has the door and a desk with a computer. Side opposite the cupbards has a double bed extending into the room and a side table. Side opposite desk is windows. Floor is carpeted.

There isn't really a suitable triangle except either side of the desk, yet the turntable couldn't be in the middle as that is where the computer is.

The amp and turntable don't need to be in the middle you could place them anywhere suitable. Speakers either side of desk sounds a good idea.

A bit leftfield but have you considered headphones?

Vladimir said:
Brent W said:
Al ears said:

The speaker stand seem a good idea, could the speakers be on the same surface as the turntable if speakers and the turntable were on foam to absorb the vibrations?

Al ears said:
The amp and turntable don't need to be in the middle you could place them anywhere suitable. Speakers either side of desk sounds a good idea.

A bit leftfield but have you considered headphones?

So I could have the amp and turntable on the shelf with speakers either side of the desk? I may want to use headphones if that is possible with the setup, but I need proper speakers, don't want to have headphones as the sole output. Can you usually listen to the vinyl through the integrated amp using headphones? Also how could I play through the speakers using AUX? It says the Denon has no MP3 input but could I buy converter cables to use the speakers with an iPod lets say?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Brent W said:
Vladimir said:
Brent W said:
Al ears said:

The speaker stand seem a good idea, could the speakers be on the same surface as the turntable if speakers and the turntable were on foam to absorb the vibrations?

Common vibrating hard surface is just the worst case scenario. Bass spreads in spherical fashion not just through the shelf surface, but also through air and will have a microphonic effect on the TT.

Low budget TTs don't have amazing vibration dampening, since the cost cutting has to go in every aspect of the deck. IMO when funds are limited best to have the TT on a wall shelf, raised above the woofers. Wall shelves are cheap.

D

Deleted member 108165

Brent W said:
Do cables not come with any of the components? They will hopefully be going on a small shelf (It is about 70 x 30cm), though I realise they may not all fit.

All connecting cables will come with their component parts. The only cable you will need is speaker cable, both Maplin and Wickes sell white 79 strand OFC speaker cable at reasonable prices, don't let any dealer try to sell you anything exotic/expensive, Van Damme Blue is excellent and is available off ebay.

As for speaker mounting possibilties, wall mount is another option with these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-Tech-BT77-Ultragrip-Clamping-Loudspeaker/dp/B004DCAOHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452440632&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+wall+brackets

D

Deleted member 108165

Brent W said:
So I could have the amp and turntable on the shelf with speakers either side of the desk? I may want to use headphones if that is possible with the setup, but I need proper speakers, don't want to have headphones as the sole output. Can you usually listen to the vinyl through the integrated amp using headphones? Also how could I play through the speakers using AUX? It says the Denon has no MP3 input but could I buy converter cables to use the speakers with an iPod lets say?

The Denon has a headphone socket on the front so you're good for heaphone connection. A converter cable for your iPod plugged into the AUX phono sockets on the rear of the Denon will enable you to output through speakers.

I guess what you want is music in your room, but if you want to hear the wonderful sound of stereo imaging then speaker placement is crucial, read here: http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

The turntable will have connecting cables from the tonearm but bear in mind these are usually less than a metre long so TT is going to have to be close to amp.

Speaker cables can be had relatively cheaply so just work out how far your speakers are going to be from the amp and buy accordingly.

I think the way I will do it all is have both speakers on either wall mounts or vertical stands either side of the desk, then wired along to a shelf where I'll have the turntable and amp situated. I'll buy the cable and maybe run that along the wall to behind the desk from the amp and hopefully that will produce some decent music!!

Al ears said:
The turntable will have connecting cables from the tonearm but bear in mind these are usually less than a metre long so TT is going to have to be close to amp.

Speaker cables can be had relatively cheaply so just work out how far your speakers are going to be from the amp and buy accordingly.

How to I split the cable so it goes out to both speakers from the amp? Is it two cables that I need to buy or is one wired to the other?

Brent W said:
Al ears said:

How to I split the cable so it goes out to both speakers from the amp? Is it two cables that I need to buy or is one wired to the other?

Two separate cable pairs for left and right channel are required to connect speakers to the four terminals on back of amp.

You should really visit a dealer to ensure correct set-up.

D

Deleted member 108165

Brent W said:
What Hi-Fi rates the ONKYO A9010 above the Denon, is it work the extra £30?

You pay your money and you take your choice. We are all just punters on here so no one is going to have all the answers to your questions. The What Hi-Fi star system isn't the be all and end all of reviews. Personally, I've got an amp that WHF gave 4 stars to but I couldn't be more content with it. In the end it's your cash to spend how you please, if in doubt then go to a store for an audition.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Brent W said:
I think the way I will do it all is have both speakers on either wall mounts or vertical stands either side of the desk, then wired along to a shelf where I'll have the turntable and amp situated. I'll buy the cable and maybe run that along the wall to behind the desk from the amp and hopefully that will produce some decent music!!

That sounds like a good plan - you are begining to know what you are talking about! *good*

Now that you have a better idea of what is required, it's still a very good idea to drop into your local hifi store if you have one, it's worth the effort and they should be able to put a system together within your budget.

jonathanRD said:
Brent W said:

That sounds like a good plan - you are begining to know what you are talking about! *good*

Now that you have a better idea of what is required, it's still a very good idea to drop into your local hifi store if you have one, it's worth the effort and they should be able to put a system together within your budget.

The OP will need to think this through again. He's not going to fit amp or turntable on a 35mm wide shelf.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
jonathanRD said:
Brent W said:

The OP will need to think this through again. He's not going to fit amp or turntable on a 35mm wide shelf.

Oh Al ears - that's just a minor detail!

Brent - you need a bigger shelf mate (sorry cant get the smileys to work?)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
d579526d11616106d804e1807c24365a.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts