Pre Amp...Power Amp...Phonostage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

It will be fine, just don't expect fireworks on this budget ok. Just to put things into perspective fireworks start at about £1K per item, and even this price point isn't considered hi-fi. (mid-fi only).

DougK said:
It will be fine, just don't expect fireworks on this budget ok. Just to put things into perspective fireworks start at about £1K per item, and even this price point isn't considered hi-fi. (mid-fi only).

Thank You! I know how good the quality can get when you have no spending limit but I do! Can I expect to have a small room filled with a decent sound quality, similar to the capabilities of a mac computer (if you know their capabilities)

D

Deleted member 108165

Brent Wheeldon said:
Thank You! I know how good the quality can get when you have no spending limit but I do! Can I expect to have a small room filled with a decent sound quality, similar to the capabilities of a mac computer (if you know their capabilities)

Yes!

Are you sure you're ready for vinyl playback with all it's snap, crackle and pops *smile*? It's is nothing like playing a CD!

Look, at least you've come on here to ask advice about a reasonable starter set-up, if you had said that you were interested in a Crosley turntable then you would have been chased-off a long time ago. So full credit where it's due to you.

Just be careful not to turn the volume too high otherwise you will be looking for new speakers.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Brent Wheeldon said:
Although it may not seem like a good idea to most, I am trying to get a cheap setup going, cause I don't have a huge amount of money to spend

I don't think most people here have (or would) criticised you for trying to get the best setup for the money you have available. I think people are trying to help you get the best setup you can for the money you have available.

However, online advice can only go so far. The one thing I would really recommend, and I imagine most people would, is to audition the components you are considering before buying. If at all possible, go along to your nearest hi-fi dealer, tell them what your budget is and what you're looking for in a system, and ask to hear them. It's far more foolproof than asking people on a forum; because your ears will tell you whether or not you're going to get what you want.

I know you said you'd prefer or want new equipment but your £550 will go a lot further in the second hand market, although you won't get guarantees, today's gear is pretty well put together and most of the stuff sold on eBay is from people who look after there stuff and only buy from peeps with 100%feed back. These sellers value there rep and to some it's how they make a living. That's where my 550 quid would be spent for sure. Also maybe put the thought of those wee wharferdales to the back of your mind, they're so inefficient for budget speakers and the choices are huge.

DougK said:
Yes!

Are you sure you're ready for vinyl playback with all it's snap, crackle and pops *smile*? It's is nothing like playing a CD!

Look, at least you've come on here to ask advice about a reasonable starter set-up, if you had said that you were interested in a Crosley turntable then you would have been chased-off a long time ago. So full credit where it's due to you.

Just be careful not to turn the volume too high otherwise you will be looking for new speakers.

Everything about vinyl makes me want it even more! To be fair I did have a brief look a Crosely but I knew it wasn't nearly what I wanted.

Will the speakers blow out?

thescarletpronster said:
I don't think most people here have (or would) criticised you for trying to get the best setup for the money you have available. I think people are trying to help you get the best setup you can for the money you have available.

However, online advice can only go so far. The one thing I would really recommend, and I imagine most people would, is to audition the components you are considering before buying. If at all possible, go along to your nearest hi-fi dealer, tell them what your budget is and what you're looking for in a system, and ask to hear them. It's far more foolproof than asking people on a forum; because your ears will tell you whether or not you're going to get what you want.

A problem I have is I am new to this and I'm Still getting my head around what works well with what. As has been stated, apparently what I was planning to get won't have much volume (something to do with specs I don't understand). I'll definitely be having a look around getting a listen where I can but will probably need to save a while before I buy it all

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I know you said you'd prefer or want new equipment but your £550 will go a lot further in the second hand market, although you won't get guarantees, today's gear is pretty well put together and most of the stuff sold on eBay is from people who look after there stuff and only buy from peeps with 100%feed back. These sellers value there rep and to some it's how they make a living. That's where my 550 quid would be spent for sure. Also maybe put the thought of those wee wharferdales to the back of your mind, they're so inefficient for budget speakers and the choices are huge.

What would you recommend over the Wharfedales? From what I've read they're the best low cost speakers and cheaper alternatives aren't actually much cheaper. Either way I'd like a good pair of bookshelf speakers whether I get into vinyl or not; but what else would you say?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Brent Wheeldon said:
Vladimir said:
BTW what are your favorite music artists?

Quite a range actually! From The Beatles and Oasis to The Foo Fighters and AC/DC

Ah. No heavy hiphop or EDM then. You shouldn't have much issues going reasonably loud with the budget Pio A10. For few quids more you might consider the A20, A30 or this Denon PMA720AE. It has a phono (MM) and Pre-Out. You can use it to hook up a power amp or a sub if you want to later on.

Vladimir said:
Ah. No heavy hiphop or EDM then. You shouldn't have much issues going reasonably loud with the budget Pio A10. For few quids more you might consider the A20, A30 or this Denon PMA720AE. It has a phono (MM) and Pre-Out. You can use it to hook up a power amp or a sub if you want to later on.

Now that you mention it, it is likely Disclosure, The Prodigy and Public Enemy will be a part of the collection at some point in the future. What are the noticeable benifits of upgrading to the A20 or A30?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Brent Wheeldon said:
Vladimir said:

Now that you mention it, it is likely Disclosure, The Prodigy and Public Enemy will be a part of the collection at some point in the future. What are the noticeable benifits of upgrading to the A20 or A30?

A bit more power. The price hike to a better model is so small, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Brent Wheeldon said:
Vladimir said:
A bit more power. The price hike to a better model is so small, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it.

So my choices are the A30 or the 720, both are roughly £180, so what will work better with the Wharfedales? (Or other recommended speakers)

If I had to nitpick I'd go for the Denon. Slightly better built under the hood I think. It has a good price here.

iMark

Vladimir said:
Brent Wheeldon said:
Vladimir said:

So my choices are the A30 or the 720, both are roughly £180, so what will work better with the Wharfedales? (Or other recommended speakers)

If I had to nitpick I'd go for the Denon. Slightly better built under the hood I think. It has a good price here.

At that price, the Denon is an unbeatable proposition.

iMark said:
Vladimir said:
Brent Wheeldon said:
Vladimir said:

Yep, I would agree, and their is not much wrong with the speaker choice.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
What size is your room Brent? (length x width) - and where do you intend to place the speakers - on stands, shelves, a desk?

You will also need cables to connect your turntable to your amplifier and speaker cables.

jonathanRD said:
What size is your room Brent? (length x width) - and where do you intend to place the speakers - on stands, shelves, a desk?

You will also need cables to connect your turntable to your amplifier and speaker cables.

Do cables not come with any of the components? They will hopefully be going on a small shelf (It is about 70 x 30cm), though I realise they may not all fit.

iMark said:
Vladimir said:
Brent Wheeldon said:
Vladimir said:

Okay I'll probably go for that, thanks for the help

jonathanRD said:

Thanks for bringing this up. I have an 85 x 35 shelf which I originally inteneded to use, but having looked into it, this obviously isn't great for the sound. How else could I arrange speakers? If they are across the room how do you deal with the wires? Could a single speaker be put nearer the turntable, and is there anything that can be done about the vibrations?

Al ears said:
I don't think anything is going to fit on that shelf. If the speakers went there they would not be far enough apart and too close to the wall.

Best to keep speakers on the same side of room as the amp.

I dont have many good places to put speakers in my room, are wall mounted ones suitable? Or could I have a single speaker rather than two

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
First of all - think of a triangle in terms of speaker placement and your listening position. For example the speakers should be positioned at your ear height (or angled to face your ears) and say six feet apart with you sat about 6 - 7 feet away. In between the speakers is the best place for the amp and turntable. The speaker cables are best kept to the same length (to each speaker) and could run along the wall each way from the amp. The turntable could sit next to the amp, but to avoid vibration, the speakers should be placed on a different surface to the turntable. As others have advised, the best solution is to put the speakers on stands. (Maybe have a look for some 2nd hand stands). That's a basic description to start with. Have a think about where they can all be placed to follow the above and where you will sit to listen.

I asked what the size of your room was just to give us an idea of what will work or not. And a description of the room in terms of what type of room, floor type, furnishings etc will help us advise further. Cables are easy to sort out and you can get quite cheap stuff but if you do buy from a shop they very often will give you some free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts