Pre-amp for Classe CA-100 & ProAcs Tablette 8 Reference Signature

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I Got the Classe CA-100 and ProAcs Tablette 8 Reference Signature used and I am trying to match them with the 'most suitable' pre-amp. Auditioning in my country is out of the question;also most brands are not available... I tried to find a used Classe pre-amp unsuccesfully, so I have to get a new pre-amp + a CD player or streaming device. Which in your opinion is the best in my case, bearing in mind that:

(1) My budget for a pre-amp and CD player or streaming device is less than £1500

(2) I listen mostly to lounge, instrumental, electronic & classical music.

(3) I can use my CA DacMagic (connected between my PC & M-Audio AV40 actives) in the setup.

The pre-amps I found in my initial investigation (in ascending price order) are:

Rotel RC-1550

Audiolab 8200Q

ATC CA/2

Rotel RC-1580

Audiolab 8200CDQ

Cambridge Audio 840E

Your advice would be mostly appreciated as I am no expert in this field.

Thanks a lot!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Are you trying to keep a similar tone with the pre to your Classe power amp? The 8200CDQ will be an obvious choice, as this gives you a CD player, a high quality DAC, and leaves you spare cash for a streaming device which will allow 24/96 streaming. Quality-wise, the ATC pre-amp would be a good choice, and maybe keep an eye out for a used Bryston pre-amplifier, as they're not too dissimilar to Classe in build, quality, and tone.

ClaudioC said:
I Got the Classe CA-100 and ProAcs Tablette 8 Reference Signature used and I am trying to match them with the 'most suitable' pre-amp. Auditioning in my country is out of the question;also most brands are not available... I tried to find a used Classe pre-amp unsuccesfully, so I have to get a new pre-amp + a CD player or streaming device. Which in your opinion is the best in my case, bearing in mind that:

(1) My budget for a pre-amp and CD player or streaming device is less than £1500

(2) I listen mostly to lounge, instrumental, electronic & classical music.

(3) I can use my CA DacMagic (connected between my PC & M-Audio AV40 actives) in the setup.

The pre-amps I found in my initial investigation (in ascending price order) are:

Rotel RC-1550

Audiolab 8200Q

ATC CA/2

Rotel RC-1580

Audiolab 8200CDQ

Cambridge Audio 840E

Your advice would be mostly appreciated as I am no expert in this field.

Thanks a lot!

Hi ClaudioC

I have heard/used Classe products since Absolute Sounds started to import them into the UK around 1989/1990 and i also used to own a CA-401 power amplifier for many years.

Over the years i found their power amps to be fussy about the pre amplifier quality. After having tried many designs i found their power amps to be happiest with pre amps such as the NAD C160, Rotel Michi RHC10 and Classe CP60, ATC SCA2.

I'll recommend that you hold on to the DacMagic for the time being and instead try and find a CP60 as imo it is the finest overall pre amp Classe have produced to date. Failing this then try a NAD C160. Both of these pre amps will help energize your CA-100 which in turn help the amp to add some zest to your speakers without tipping the overall tonal balance over the edge.

Btw, if you feel that a new/current production pre amp is the route for you then again hold on to the DacMagic and consider Densen's Beat B-200 Plus.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts