Power Amplifier Gone ... Which Amplifier for ProAc Tablettes ?

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi and Merry Christmas to all!!!

I am in a position right now that your expertise/insight would help me (hopefully) to get out...

First of all,in my country the so called few dealers carry only leaflets, so auditioning is out of the question!

My Stereo system comprised of :

Cambridge Audio Sonata NP30 - mainly for Internet radio and streaming

Pioneer CLD-D580 (Old) CD Player

Laptop with Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Sound card and M-Audio AV40 active speakers

Cambridge Audio Azur 840E Pre-amplifier

Classe CA-100 Power Amplifier

ProAc Tablette Reference Eight Signature

Interconnects Gradas, Atlas Elements, QED and Audioquest USB.

Last week the Classe had to depart leaving me with a beautiful system with no sound except for the Av40s....

Now I am at a loss as to what to do

(1) Budget is very tight to replace the Classe with another Power amplifier ... What to look for ? Used (ebay) is rathr hard due to transportation etc...

(2) Option 2 is to sell the CA Pre and purchase an integrated to use with the ProAcs... Suggestions?

(3) Final option is keep only the sources and sell the CA Pre and the ProAcs and purchase a matching Integrated / Speakers combo from scratch....

What would you suggest?

My experience with the CA Pre/Classe/ProAcs combination was that they sounded detailed, composed albeir rather flat on lower (bass) frequencies and sometimes uninspiring ...Imagine the AV40s sometimes sounded more ... alive / loud.. BTW, the ProAcs had to be placed near the back wall abou 5-6ft apart... (room limitations - The AV40s are on the desk in front of me and the Stereo / Speakers 4-5 ft behind me!

Thanks for your kind assistance, your thoughts could help me take a decision/route !

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

to be honest I tend to try to sell CA Azur 840E Preamplifier and then to find an integrated matching my ProAcs in the sub - £ 750 range...

As my purchase would probably be by mail-order and auditioning is out if the question ( leaflets only !!!), I would appreciate your experience / opinions on Arcam FMJ A19, Roksan K2, Rotel etc with the ProAcs. I listen mostly to classical, Jazz, Electronica, New Age .

Thanks Again,

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Claudio Since I love the Tablettes, I agree with you that getting an integrated is probably best, though I'm not familiar with those that you have short-listed. I used to drive my ProAc Tablette Anniversary with Naim amps (they work well) and sometimes with Sugden amps (they work even better). Perhaps try one of these - if either is beyond your budget, maybe secondhand?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Possibly the best sound I heard at the last Bristol show was Proac Response 2s driven by a Naim Nait XS and CD player. If you can't stretch to the XS try the new lower end integrated.

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot.!

Naim 5si may be a good proposotion (Though stretching my budget) but I am a bit confused as to its inputs: Can it handle my required 4 sets of inputs (CD, CA Sonata NP30, PC and turntable)? I have browsed its manuals but I cannot figure out...

Do you think somehow more modest amplifiers like the Roksan Kandy II ir Arcam FMJ A19 would do injustice to the ProAcs Tablettes?

Thanks.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
According to the pictures on Naim's website the 5si has four inputs but none of these are for a turntable, you would need to add an external phono stage at additional cost.

hope this helps.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Creek Evolution 50 would be on my integrated short list.

Musical Fidelity reduced the price of their M1 PWR power amp fairly recently from £800 to £500. I think this may well suit. This also offers the upgrade path should you want to at some point in the future of adding a second M1 PWR and converting them into mono blocks.

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

I Have a basic phonostage that I use (in times of memorabilia ...)

So Naim Nait 5si has four RCA inputs ... It's in the list (wishing for a price drop ...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The best cheap power amplifier I know of is the PMC DS 001 mono blocks. It would be a direct replacement for your Classe and quite possibly a worthwhile upgrade.

Loads of power, produced in a totally bling free case so fantastic value. Around £1300 pair.

Personally I would be reluctant to partner a speaker as fine (and as difficult) as the ProAcs with any sub £1000 integrated, I think only disapointment will be the result. Don't take this the wrong way, a Creek will probably sound very nice, but will only give you a fraction of what these speakers are capable of.

Edit: Link

ClaudioC

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
HI and Happy 2014 !!!

CA 840E has gone (sold) and I now I am looking for an integrated in the~ £ 500 / €600 price bracket to fit my Proac Tablettes and CA NP30 streaming. After some reserach I found dealers for the Japanese brands (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Rotel) plus Cambridge Audio, Cyrus, Naim (?). I already have a good offer for CA 651A... What do you think guys? Have you any experience with these brands with the Tablettes? Should I stick with my Denon RCD-M33 micro until ( and IF) my budget allows something better? But life is short ... Decisions... Decisions ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts