Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As suggested by Dandy Cobalt in this thread, here's a place where vinyl fans can rate their new purchases.

Is the record good, bad or indifferent?

Worth the money?

Better/worse than previous versions or CD/download equivalent?

Rant or rave away.... I'll be joining in later this week, when I receive a new vinyl boxset i've ordered :)

Paul.

The nicest vinyl I ever bought (before selling my tt, still have most of the vinyl). Was the 7" single of Park Lake Speakers by Ella Guru. You can buy it new on amazon for £1.50 at the mo :)

It sounds so much warmer than the cd, it's like a blanket. Will have a tt again one day when I have the space for an AV system and a HiFi :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I bought a Hot Chip remix 12" last year which must have had serious pressing issues as in places it was massively distorted and jumped all over the place, really annoying. I also bought Eli "Paperboy" Reed's first album a couple of years back and was annoyed to hear distortion on the vocals, so I bought the CD. And heard the same distortion on the vocals...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Bought a re-issue of ac/dc 'dirty deeds done dirt cheap', coloured vinyl recently, the sound is a bit lean so does not have the 'BIG BALLS' as one of the tracks titled 'BIG BALLS'. I will be trying my new cartridge on it soon though! I still love the tracks and the timing is excellent :)

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I got Florence & The Machine : Ceremonials

This is a great album & the quality of the pressing is superb, but for £22 I would really quite like: an MP3 download code & antistatic inner sleeves rather than the stiff card ones which will inevitably lead to my lovely 180g vinyl getting scratched!

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here 2011 reissue 180g.

Again a fantastic pressing, but again in tight fitting card inner sleeves!!!!!!! At least it came with a download code.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Haven't heard it on CD/MP3 so can't compare, but very good all the same - 45 rpm always helps :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
rob998 said:
I got Florence & The Machine : Ceremonials

This is a great album & the quality of the pressing is superb, but for £22 I would really quite like: an MP3 download code & antistatic inner sleeves rather than the stiff card ones which will inevitably lead to my lovely 180g vinyl getting scratched!

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here 2011 reissue 180g.

Again a fantastic pressing, but again in tight fitting card inner sleeves!!!!!!! At least it came with a download code.

Buy some plastic inner sleeves off the web, cost about £15 for a 100, loads of places sell them.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Oh, I've got Nagaoka ones, but it would be nice if I didn't have to buy extra stuff. I have Nice Price pressings from the 80's that came with poly lined inner sleeves. Those LPs cost about £3.99 each iirc, so I don't think it's asking too much that a £20+ "audiophile quality" LP comes with them.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
margetti said:

Haven't heard it on CD/MP3 so can't compare, but very good all the same - 45 rpm always helps :)

Trust me you don't want to listen to the CD, it's a shocker by comparison.

NHL said:
The drums are so much better than on cd.

[/unquote]

I know EXACTLY what you mean, the CD is like being slapped with a wet fish compared to the vinyl feeling like a punch in the chest from Mike Tyson. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it side by side witht the CD.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
drichardb said:
margetti said:

Trust me you don't want to listen to the CD, it's a shocker by comparison.

NHL said:
The drums are so much better than on cd.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, the CD is like being slapped with a wet fish compared to the vinyl feeling like a punch in the chest from Mike Tyson. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it side by side witht the CD.

Hello!

Sorry for asking, and I certainly do not want to question anyone's ability to hear such differences or indeed to assemble a proper system in the first place, however are you sure it's always the CD and not the CDP?

The reason I'm wondering is that, whilst I've generally always been happy with both CD and record playback on my setup, I recently visited a friend of mine to test a scratched CD that skipped on my player, first in his certainly not-too-bad-on-paper mid-class Sony SACD player, then on his Philips BD 9500. I was _shocked_ at how thin and sterile the Sony sounded and how very evidently better the Philips BDP played - warm, three-dimensional, effortless. I could certainly understand the CD opponents' opinion of this format if it was based on such performances as the Sony's...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Just purchased and listened to reissue of:

1. Smashing Pumpkins-The Siamese Dream on 180 gm

2. Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks 30th Anniversary.

Both sounds very bold and and full of body. The shrieking guitar of Billy Corgan and Chamberlain's drum on Today and Cherub Rock reminds me of my youth.

Anarchy in the UK sounds as classic as it should be. Another gem LP that I found.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Pat Metheny, "what's it all about", 180 g pressing, side A, have such shallow grooves on the first song that the needle can not track them all. Might be the antiskating but no other LP has this problem. :rockout:

georgecostanza

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Better then the cd
roxy%2Bmusic%2Bfor%2Byour%2Bpleasure%2Bfront%2B%26%2Bback%2Bcover.JPG

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been cheating on myself over the past couple of weeks . . . listening to a lot of Spotify:O laziness and working out how best to use the new computer set up?

However, last night I got out the 180gr., copy of Robert Plant and Alison Krouss 'Raising Sand' . . . I'm just about to have a vinyl session before dinner, how could I have left it alone for so long . . . Waiting for my 180gr copy of Jennifer Warnes 'the Hunter' to arrive . . . :bounce:

I have both of the above on CD, Raising Sand is very good on CD but, it just cant quite give that vinyl touch, what is the 'vinyl touch'? . . . I wish I new, but we like the vinyl jut that bit more. The Hunter is so good on CD, thats why I have ordered the vinyl, not easy to get hold of, it seems, but Audio Affair have it . . . at £32!!!!:O

One vinyl a month at that price . . . or a few pm from boot sale/charity shops . . . looking forward to the B/S summer season. Hears hoping Hazel will be well enough, she goes into Hospital on the 29th March, everything X . . . :cheers:

CJSF

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I don't have the funds for multi purchases like I used to (before the kids!) so have to be choosey.

The outstanding releases for me were

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here (Excellent recording anyway but the re-release is quite simply immense)

Noel Gallager's high flying birds - A welcome return from this great song writer. Completely blows his brother's band out of the water with this great sounding LP. Very strong song list as well as a great recording. Ignore the Gallagher hype and BS. Buy this record.

Graham Nash & David Crosby - Another stoney night. (Incredible LP captures them live and acoustic in 72 in front of a very appreciative crowd. The harmonies are hair raising as is the performance even though Crosby appears happy to accept the accusation from Nash that he was maybe a little high! Absolutely stunning LP. A must have in my opinion.)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
PRAISE: The vinyl version of last year's release by Jonathan Wilson "Gentle Spirit".

He's a very well respected and connected musician who is also a fan of analogue recording. This really shows in the quality of this double-LP vinyl with free download too (though you need to email barcodes etc to the record company Bella Union to get the mp3s - still, they've made an effort.)

The sound quality of the vinyl is excellent. One of the best new releases I've heard.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Paul Clarke said:
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here (Excellent recording anyway but the re-release is quite simply immense)

Just bought this today (and pre-ordered The Wall) to replace my aging copies and, although a bit sceptical, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality so roll on the 27th! :rockout: :grin:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Buy loads of vinyl, but rarely risk newly released stuff. Very pleased with Old Ideas, the new LP by Leonard Cohen. Great pressing on 180g and sounds truly engaging. Comes with CD too.

Thanks Charlie for the heads-up on the new Leonard Cohen - it is on my list to buy.
I'm hoping Diverse Vinyl will have it at the Tonbridge AudioJumble this Sunday (I have a long list :)

http://www.audiojumble.co.uk/Next%20Event.htm

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Buy loads of vinyl, but rarely risk newly released stuff. Very pleased with Old Ideas, the new LP by Leonard Cohen. Great pressing on 180g and sounds truly engaging. Comes with CD too.

Thanks Charlie for the heads-up on the new Leonard Cohen - it is on my list to buy.
I'm hoping Diverse Vinyl will have it at the Tonbridge AudioJumble this Sunday (I have a long list :)

http://www.audiojumble.co.uk/Next%20Event.htm

Good luck with the search for Leonard's new one and any other gems currently out there, DC. Let us know if anything gets ticked off your long list.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Charlie's recommendation of the new Leonard Cohen - superb production and excellent quality vinyl.

I bought this on Sunday from Diverse Vinyl, along with the Dawes 2009 "North Hills" - produced by aforementioned Jonathan Wilson at same place as he did his own "Gentle Spirit". I was very surprised to find that it is actually 45rpm double album, comes with a CD too, and sounds great.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
+1 for Charlie's recommendation of the new Leonard Cohen - superb production and excellent quality vinyl.

I bought this on Sunday from Diverse Vinyl, along with the Dawes 2009 "North Hills" - produced by aforementioned Jonathan Wilson at same place as he did his own "Gentle Spirit". I was very surprised to find that it is actually 45rpm double album, comes with a CD too, and sounds great.

Nice one DC.

I've been tempted by the Jonathan Wilson LP - read all the reviews/hype and like the influences he draws on, but haven't bought it yet. Tempted by your quality assurance comments.

The last Radiohead and My Morning Jacket LPs played at 45rpm over two discs too. Cool.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

Been listening to 'Old Ideas' on Spotify, sorry, wash mouth out with soap . . . :O I will have to track it down on Vinyl, although the Spotify version is good, at the same time I will be looking for his 'Live in London' vinyl album . . . ?

My biggest problem at the moment is a reliable vinyl supplyer. I have been after Jennifer Warnes 'the Hunter', ordered from two outlets on line, both say 'in stock', take your money, then when it does not arive and I chase it up . . . give all sorts of **** and bull stories why they have not actualy got it in stock . . . I'm feeling very ripped off at the moment!

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts