PRAISE a YouTube dem

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
jBL speakers best I have heard drum sound from a speaker ....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EUcXKWQFqgY

That's back in 2011 when he recorded with a poopy mic. Sounds so bad compared to his new videos.
I tell you what a lot of those old speakers puts modern speakers to shame I understand that modern stuff is meant to be better but the Yamaha and the JBLs sound so good even though YouTube

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
poopy mic but you can still tell that would be very good - can we get our hands on that track?

Most used test disc ever. The Sheffield Lab: Drum & Track Disc

I know it by heart, which is why I commented on the bad recording.

MI0002953413.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have got myself an improved setup for producing much better recordings, for my channel

I need to get some monitoring cans - becasue the cheap Sennheisers I am using are no good.

The new mics are far more sensitive to bass - they are picking it up to the point its overloading the recording but I cant hear it at the time. Its not until I listen after and it means starting all over again.

I was looking at the Pioneer HRM5 - any experience? Seem perfect, easy to drive and good isolation.

I was originally looking at the Senn HD280Pro - they seem a staple for this, but they are harder to drive so might need an amp. I want to just use the Tascam Recorder as the amp for them.

Looking forward to feedback from this new batch

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont want to sped that much mate, def under a ton.

I was looking at the £40 AKG 271 brown and gold then saw the advert for the Pioneer HRM5, thought they looked sweet.

Why the Sony's?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Pioneer DJ HRM-5 = $99

Sony MDR-V6 = $76, used by pros in studios, TV and radio a lot. Come up in recommendations often. Extremely easy to drive, no need for amp.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats the old setup vlad but thanks for nice comment.

New setup much better. Recorded lots yesterday more to do today/ tomorrow.

Good stuff to come.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats a difficult song to record lindsay mate because there is so much bass. Its a challenge to capture at a high enough level to get the full sound but not compress the recordings dynamic range.

Please wait until you hear a latest version. All I have been doing up to now is finding my feet with this. Baby steps.

Those later videos has more full sound but for me sound too compressed compared to the original.

I need one more thing which hopefully I will get today to be able to monitor recordings much better

The issue I have now is recording and filming at the same time. The mic rig is too big and I dont want to give my usp away :)

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I for one enjoy watching these videos,it's not just about the play back quality,it's good to see ,what other people's system are like ,terry is very enthusiastic about hifi and his home cinema,he has said he's new to making these videos and it's a learning curve for him,if that jimmy sax video is anything to go by ,I think he is doing a bloody good job ,keep those vids coming mate.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Dave.

I have some really good stuff coming. All new stuff this end means taking me longer to make them. Please bear with me

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Thats a difficult song to record lindsay mate because there is so much bass. Its a challenge to capture at a high enough level to get the full sound but not compress the recordings dynamic range.

Please wait until you hear a latest version. All I have been doing up to now is finding my feet with this. Baby steps.

Those later videos has more full sound but for me sound too compressed compared to the original.

I need one more thing which hopefully I will get today to be able to monitor recordings much better

The issue I have now is recording and filming at the same time. The mic rig is too big and I dont want to give my usp away :)
How about something from Lyle Lovett's I Love Everybody then? A tonally neutral, clear, dynamic recording with a lot of acoustic instruments.

Surely you're recording digitally, with a (claimed) dynamic range of 96 dbs, giving you plenty of headroom to play with? Or is it technical limitations with your microphone?

Anyway, thanks for posting the videos.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Edited.

I have changed settings when creating the video - this one sounds quite a bit better

Let me know thoughts - more coming soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts