PRAISE a YouTube dem

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Terry this Vanessa Fernandez track is very good indeed your best so far I think, the sound for a recording of a system is realy top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1CUJZikXrw

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers electro mate, appreciate it. Glad my investment in recording equipment is paying off

It was your feedback made me get it, Vlads as well.

Cheers Dude

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
2 Latest Videos are really good if anyone is interested - its very typical hifi music.

Video 1 - 2 songs on that one

Video 2 - Dave Brubeck Take 5

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
2 Latest Videos are really good if anyone is interested - its very typical hifi music.

Video 1 - 2 songs on that one

Video 2 - Dave Brubeck Take 5
WOW WOW WOW... Really impressed with your system walk through. Nice system, nice job. *good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Video 1 - 2 songs on that one

Video 2 - Dave Brubeck Take 5

Hi

Been watching your videos.

Really like the look of the bryston power amp inside.

I have a question regards the sub settings.

Why do you set the cross over to 150 hz?

And at what frequency are the main monitors set at?

Surely you would not want too much overlap?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew, cheers for watching the videos

There are 2 reasons why I set the subs that high - I would probably set them a bit higher but 150hz is the max in the Meridian.

The technical reason (Pre Dirac) I was able to use the subwoofers to fill a freq null from the main

speakers and also use the sub volume and eq on the sub to set the House Curve how I wanted it. I could tailor the sound how I think it sounds correct .

That was pretty effective but not perfect - Since I have had Dirac integration has got a lot better and I possibly dont need to do it like this as you can control the output much easier with Dirac. - However that leads me onto the personal side and something else.

For Movies having a high crossover gives the system a lot of clout and tactile response - I really like that, so that was a personal reason for setting it like that as well. I could have it set different for music and movies but I dont for the reason above - helps fill a freq null. I dont have anywhere to move the speakers to improve the speaker freq response.

I have the Arcam P49 at the minute - I didnt think it would be that good, but its really surprised me. I thought the Bryston would take some beating but its been an interesting one. The P49 is very good and it tracks the bass much cleaner than my Bryston, its more articulate.

Now the crossover from speaker to sub sounds even better integrated.

There is no overlap though - its all done in an AV Preamp so you get correct crossovers through the freq.

I will be doing sound recordings of the P49 and a review of it soon. I have just today got the new JCat USB Card. I want to really do the recordings with that in because its likely to a better example of the P49 sound quality. I need to get it installed and put some hours on it.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Hi Andrew, cheers for watching the videos

There are 2 reasons why I set the subs that high - I would probably set them a bit higher but 150hz is the max in the Meridian.

The technical reason (Pre Dirac) I was able to use the subwoofers to fill a freq null from the main

speakers and also use the sub volume and eq on the sub to set the House Curve how I wanted it.  I could tailor the sound how I think it sounds correct .

That was pretty effective but not perfect - Since I have had Dirac integration has got a lot better and I possibly dont need to do it like this as you can control the output much easier with Dirac. - However that leads me onto the personal side and something else.

For Movies having a high crossover gives the system a lot of clout and tactile response - I really like that, so that was a personal reason for setting it like that as well.  I could have it set different for music and movies but I dont for the reason above - helps fill a freq null.  I dont have anywhere to move the speakers to improve the speaker freq response.

I have the Arcam P49 at the minute - I didnt think it would be that good, but its really surprised me.  I thought the Bryston would take some beating but its been an interesting one.  The P49 is very good and it tracks the bass much cleaner than my Bryston, its more articulate.

Now the crossover from speaker to sub sounds even better integrated.

There is no overlap though - its all done in an AV Preamp so you get correct crossovers through the freq.

I will be doing sound recordings of the P49 and a review of it soon.  I have just today got the new JCat USB Card.  I want to really do the recordings with that in because its likely to a better example of the P49 sound quality.  I need to get it installed and put some hours on it.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I saw you had the p49 power amp.

Next question: whats made you audition the p49?

I mean that bryston is very well made/built. But something must have triggered you to look at a new amp and i want to ask what was it.

Ps try and keep your hand steady when filming haha

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Lol the camera I am using is turd and when you speed the footage up its like being on the titanic in its last few hours, sorry about that. I am looking to improve everything - but one thing at a time. I wanted to get decent sound demos first. I have invested in better lighting as well but it all adds up in terms of cost.

I am planning to test a series of power amps out - to find the best one.

I just happened to be suggested the P49 so I thought great place to start.

I wondered if a stereo power amp would be better than a multi channel - I also really want to try out valve amps. Thats hugely of interest to me and I think others as well.

Thats the purpose of the sound recorded demos - you will be able to cross reference the videos ans hear the differences as things change.

Not the same as hearing it directly obviously but it should be representative.

For example if I recorded the Diana Krall track with the P49 - you would hear clearly how her vocal sounds very different on the P49 to the Bryston.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Lol the camera I am using is turd and when you speed the footage up its like being on the titanic in its last few hours, sorry about that. I am looking to improve everything - but one thing at a time. I wanted to get decent sound demos first. I have invested in better lighting as well but it all adds up in terms of cost.

I wondered if a stereo power amp would be better than a multi channel - I also really want to try out valve amps. Thats hugely of interest to me and I think others as well.

Thats the purpose of the sound recorded demos - you will be able to cross reference the videos ans hear the differences as things change.

For example if I recorded the Diana Krall track with the P49 - you would hear clearly how her vocal sounds very different on the P49 to the Bryston.

I can lend you an Electrocompaniet AW120 DMB power amp for comparison, it had an upgraded power supply fitted when I had it serviced but apart from that it is standard.

It has a 1300 kva power supply and 100 amps of peak current .

My only request is that I can hear it in your system if you decide to take up the offer.*biggrin*

AW120%20DMB_zpszoni18pu.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You cant see from that the size of the torodial - its huge the biggest one I have seen.

Its about 6 inchs wide and tall -its how tall it is that surprised me

The amp itself is taller - its quite a bit bigger than my bryston

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You cant see from that the size of the torodial - its huge the biggest one I have seen.

Its about 6 inchs wide and tall -its how tall it is that surprised me

The amp itself is taller - its quite a bit bigger than my bryston

Torroid is 5" and the whole amp is 18kg. Seems more or less same as my old HK6900, only with less heatsink area, probably lower biased.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
How do you know the size? I didnt measure I just guestimated - its about the same size as my phone

If by lower biased you might need to turn it up more - thats def true

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
How do you know the size? I didnt measure I just guestimated - its about the same size as my phone

If by lower biased you might need to turn it up more - thats def true

I used the pic. Case is 433mm wide, torroid measures 125-130mm so in the 5" range.

Biasing affects how much a Class AB amp runs in Class A. High current, low NFB designs keep it warmer than most. It's the Matti Otala concept for low TIM (Transient Intermodulation Distortion) implemented by both Harman and Electrocompaniet.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont want to say too much - it will spoil the review....

It does run pretty cool - very cool compared to the Bryston - no surprise there. But you do need to turn the pre amp up more to get the same perceived loudness.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I dont want to say too much - it will spoil the review....

It does run pretty cool - very cool compared to the Bryston - no surprise there. But you do need to turn the pre amp up more to get the same perceived loudness.

That has nothing to do with the biasing. Arcam is a rare manufacturer that designs proper input sensitivity on its amps. They don't make their amps sound louder early on the volume dial. This also means volume pots get used in their less noisy and more balanced area at 9-3 o'clock. It's just good design.

Electrocompaniet have tossed analogue pots ages ago. Even better.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Lol the camera I am using is turd and when you speed the footage up its like being on the titanic in its last few hours, sorry about that.  I am looking to improve everything - but one thing at a time.  I wanted to get decent sound demos first.  I have invested in better lighting as well but it all adds up in terms of cost.

I wondered if a stereo power amp would be better than a multi channel - I also really want to try out valve amps.  Thats hugely of interest to me and I think others as well.

Ive watched them all i think
Very cool man

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts