Powerline adapters - How successful or reliable?

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Not Wi-Fi as such, but related.

We've found Wi-Fi to be a bit flakey in the far reaches of our home. Certainly not reliable enough for video streaming etc.

I'm considering using Powerline adapters, but would like to know how successful these are, particularly when being used on different ring mains.

In this house there are 4 different ring main circuits for wall sockets etc, so with the only connection between them being at the consumer unit, behind the isolator switches and RCD protection, will the signal be significantly attenuated or even blocked ?

A

Anonymous

i run 4 all round the house, superb performance, i bought an extra one due to the speed being higher with these than a 15m cat 5 , i got the devolo a/v 200,s, 2 minutes to set up but make sure its direct to mains & not through an extension.

A

Anonymous

From a personal point of view and with experience I would say the Powerline adaptors are a great thing. I currently have a set up of Devolo AV 200 running around my house which I find brilliant. My house has got solid internal brick walls which can prove a nightmare if using wifi. My Devolos are around 3-4 years old and have never let me down. The speeds are lightning fast (just about the same speed as comes into the house). Since I bought mine things have advanced further with Devolo Wireless extenders and multi output adaptors which might be even better for your setup.There's other good manufacturers as well so it might be worth checking Netgear,Advent,etc. Hope this helps.

Regards

Tartan Man

rwrazen

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I have been using Netgear's HD 200 Mbps for few years now and never had a problem. I have five all over the house and all equipments talk with each over - Slingbox, Sling catcher, network drives, TV, BlueRay, PC, satelite box.

You can get wifi signal extender as part of the setup as well if you have a problem

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far.

My main concern is using them across different electrical circuits. As I said in my original post, there are 4 separate ring circuits for the sockets. I'm looking to send from a socket on one circuit, to another on a separate circuit at the other end of the house, up two floors (attic bedroom in an extension).

There is no electrical connection between the different circuits, except back through the consumer unit. Can they work effectively across the divide, if at all?

If I go ahead, I'll be getting Devolo units. The 550 Mbps range of adapters has now been expanded, however the 200 Mbps range does include a wireless N repeater complete with 3 ethernet ports. Mix and match is likely.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a pair and they work really well, but you need to be aware they need to be in a wall socket on their own if you put them in and extension block with other kit they do not work.

Edit - Mine are used across two separate rings in the house and only connected via the consumer unit, they still work well.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
There is no electrical connection between the different circuits, except back through the consumer unit. Can they work effectively across the divide, if at all?

If I go ahead, I'll be getting Devolo units. The 550 Mbps range of adapters has now been expanded, however the 200 Mbps range does include a wireless N repeater complete with 3 ethernet ports. Mix and match is likely.

Mine do, and they are the devolo AV200+ with the integral sockets. Getting about 150 to 160 Mb. Use for streaming audio and online gaming. as have concrete walls and floors and wifi is rubbish ouside of the lounge where my router is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts