Power ratings on Speakers.

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help on a techinical question.... If I have a new amp rated at 115w into 8 ohms....and I if on a compnies blurb it says that for the speaker they advice and amp between........says 30-150w.....and the speaker has a nominal impedance of say 6 ohms....is the amp power suggestion based on the 8ohm or 6ohm? my current speakers suggest between 10 - 150......what worries me is that my new amp....is rated at 185w into 4ohm...... am I worrying for nothing?

A

Anonymous

Worry about nothing except cranking the volume up way too loud.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Blainetoner"]If I have a new amp rated at 115w into 8 ohms....and I if on a compnies blurb it says that for the speaker they advice and amp between........says 30-150w.....and the speaker has a nominal impedance of say 6 ohms....is the amp power suggestion based on the 8ohm or 6ohm?[/quote]

Which simply means at a certain frequency (or range) they are capable of delivering 115 watts into a load of 8Ohms. That doesn't mean they cannot handle 6 Ohms load. Or 12 Ohms loads, for that matter. That is just a way to put it, mostly because speakers have a nominal impedance of 8 Ohms most commonly.
That also doesn't mean they cannot pump out more or less than 115 watts. They can, if asked for. If less is asked, they will happily give. If more is asked, they will still give, albeit with a higher than rated distortion.
Wrt to speaker load, they would be able to put more power into speakers will lower impedance, less power into speakers will higher impedance. A perfect amp would be capable of putting double power into half load and half power into double load.

[quote user="Blainetoner"]my current speakers suggest between 10 - 150......what worries me is that my new amp....is rated at 185w into 4ohm......

am I worrying for nothing?[/quote]
Yes.

That gyaan looks good on paper, and feels great to understand. But they don't mean a thing if your hi-fi doesn't sound good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts