Power cables

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Thompsonuxb said:
drummerman said:
Thompsonuxb said:
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

Then that makes it a glorified mains cable.....

If your definition of 'a glorified mains cable' is a hulking great 500VA outboard power supply that replaces the one in the amp and allows the amp to deliver over 25% more power and over 30% more current, then by your definition (which no one else agrees with), it's a glorified mains cable. Let us know when you find a mains cable that does the same. We'll be all over it.

And there is my point Major.....

The PSX delivers power from the mains to the standard amp the mains chord is replaced by it.

Refer to my previous entrys......

Point I'm trying to make is why some are so dismissive about power chords.

Cyrus's example shows they utilise the mains into their kit to bring improvements so why can't boutique power chord manufacturers do the same - not as extravagantly, but hey.

This is not exclusively about Cyrus..... Let's be clear.

No. The amplifier retains its mains connection as does the PSX. They work independantly, splitting the PSU duties.

So both are connected to the mains?

Yes.

The PSX is connected to it's counterpart via a proprietary umbilical cord.

So the PSU in the main amp still drives the main amp but fully supplies the main unit while the PSX drives the pre amp.....they double usable power.

So for example if the main amp say has a 300watt operating power consumption with the PSX added it could be boosted to 600watts?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
So how do they utilise it on their cdplayers?

On the PCM II it feeds the DAC and analogue circuitry, leaving the internal power supply to work the servos, motors and the logic circuits. I can't say for the newer models.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know, a power chord is something guitarists play. Thompson must be getting even more mixed up than usual. A power cord on the other hand could well be another name for a mains cable/lead. Astonishing stuff from the unexploded one, as usual. Nobody could be so dumb - he must be winding you all up.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
drummerman said:
Thompsonuxb said:
drummerman said:
Thompsonuxb said:
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

Then that makes it a glorified mains cable.....

If your definition of 'a glorified mains cable' is a hulking great 500VA outboard power supply that replaces the one in the amp and allows the amp to deliver over 25% more power and over 30% more current, then by your definition (which no one else agrees with), it's a glorified mains cable. Let us know when you find a mains cable that does the same. We'll be all over it.

And there is my point Major.....

The PSX delivers power from the mains to the standard amp the mains chord is replaced by it.

Refer to my previous entrys......

Point I'm trying to make is why some are so dismissive about power chords.

Cyrus's example shows they utilise the mains into their kit to bring improvements so why can't boutique power chord manufacturers do the same - not as extravagantly, but hey.

This is not exclusively about Cyrus..... Let's be clear.

No. The amplifier retains its mains connection as does the PSX. They work independantly, splitting the PSU duties.

So both are connected to the mains?

Yes.

The PSX is connected to it's counterpart via a proprietary umbilical cord.

So the PSU in the main amp still drives the main amp but fully supplies the main unit while the PSX drives the pre amp.....they double usable power.

So for example if the main amp say has a 300watt operating power consumption with the PSX added it could be boosted to 600watts?

No.

You really need to read back in this thread (and punish yourself in the process) :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe that you're all letting Thompsonuxb wind you up, he knows exactly what the difference is between a power cord and an external power supply, he is playing you like a fiddle .*ROFL*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
I can't believe that you're all letting Thompsonuxb wind you up, he knows exactly what the difference is between a power cord and an external power supply, he is playing you like a fiddle .*ROFL*

Mmmh, his questions specifically related to cyrus PSU's.

I hope you're not right.

It would be very poor form.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
kukulec said:
Hello,

Could you please help what advantages would a system get with high quality power cables? How it would affect the sound quality? I am thinking to get an IsoTek EVO3 or something similar in this price range, if it brings an audible upgrade.

When current is actually generated. It has strong memories of this childhood. It remembers the path it took in those broad cables of the electric company, and the sceneries of those majestuous mountains and valleys it crosses. When current comes to your home. It's pressed in little and thin cables, and it makes the current unhappy. He feel depressed, and he will not be able to perform at full potential in your amplifier. But, due to the thicker power cables, he will experience positive memories of his childhood and be happy again before reaching your elko's, and will give you sweet and magnificent sound.

Please, respect this theory. It's not stupider that every other theory about paranormal behaving current cables.

Dom

NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
kukulec said:
Hello,

Could you please help what advantages would a system get with high quality power cables? How it would affect the sound quality? I am thinking to get an IsoTek EVO3 or something similar in this price range, if it brings an audible upgrade.

When current is actually generated. It has strong memories of this childhood. It remembers the path it took in those broad cables of the electric company, and the sceneries of those majestuous mountains and valleys it crosses. When current comes to your home. It's pressed in little and thin cables, and it makes the current unhappy. He feel depressed, and he will not be able to perform at full potential in your amplifier. But, due to the thicker power cables, he will experience positive memories of his childhood and be happy again before reaching your elko's, and will give you sweet and magnificent sound.

Please, respect this theory. It's not stupider that every other theory about paranormal behaving current cables.

Seriously, the least scientific explantion ever.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
kukulec said:
Hello,

Like it lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts