Power cables

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Major once again you project you shortcomings onto me - don't be embarrassed for me save it for yourself you'll need all that embarrassment later....

Fine you go ahead. It's no real skin off my nose. I was just trying to give you some decent advice, because you're out of your depth again and you're making yourself look like a ***.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify the situation re. PSX, allow me to quote myself from the previous page, from a post that appeared mid-way down the page and possibly got missed by most because it appeared twixt an existing conversation:
MajorFubar said:
PSX (on the C2) is a whacking 500VA regulated power supply supported by a quartet of 15,000uf capacitors that feeds just the the power-amp section of the amplifier, increasing the power output from 50WRMS per channel to 70WRMS per channel and allowing the amp to deliver current-swings as big as 60A peak to peak. Difficult speakers get taught a lesson in who's boss. It couldn't be more different to just changing a mains cable.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol......

Let's see how long before you guys start to back peddle.

Drummermans post explains alot the device 'regulates' the mains supply.

To assume a 'boutique' power chord does not do a similar task to give a better performance....

These things are created by R&D carried out by some respected manufacturers.

So some want to stand there bellowing 'they don't make a difference'......if said often enough it becomes the truth. Yet actual devices regulating mains supply are out there bringing am improvement in performance.....c'mon.

Breaking down a PSX figures....it's a glorified power chord.

It does not work in parallel to the standard chord. It replaces it. And it makes an audible difference.

I guarantee nobody will back peddle, because they aren't peddling anything, LOL.

Ok we shall see.....

Lets be clear we are now discussing the relationship between the mains and how it gets to your kit....right?.

Now the PSX is an example in the extreme of a 'mains cable' connecting your kit to the mains.

The psx is not only designed for Cyrus amps. It can be used with their cdplayers too and will bring improvements.

Now you can all start pulling various figures from dark places but the PSX replaces a standard mains lead.

I'd suggest you research the claims of some of these boutique chords and understand what they claim they do to improve the performance of your kit then look into the engineering of these chords.

To be honest I don't use Cyrus and I've never compared the kit with and without a PSX but I can respect how the mains supplied to the back of your kit can be 'regulated' to improve the performance of hifi.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Major once again you project you shortcomings onto me - don't be embarrassed for me save it for yourself you'll need all that embarrassment later....

Fine you go ahead. It's no real skin off my nose. I was just trying to give you some decent advice, because you're out of your depth again and you're making yourself look like a ***.

Once again you break down and start with the name calling.....just argue your case man.

You know the moment will come when the penny will drop..... So please stop trying to detract away from the argument.

I'm only about 50posts away.... :-D

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol......

To assume a 'boutique' power chord does not do a similar task to give a better performance....

So some want to stand there bellowing 'they don't make a difference'......if said often enough it becomes the truth. Yet actual devices regulating mains supply are out there bringing am improvement in performance.....c'mon.

It does not work in parallel to the standard chord. It replaces it. And it makes an audible difference.

I guarantee nobody will back peddle, because they aren't peddling anything, LOL.

Ok we shall see.....

Lets be clear we are now discussing the relationship between the mains and how it gets to your kit....right?.

Now the PSX is an example in the extreme of a 'mains cable' connecting your kit to the mains.

The psx is not only designed for Cyrus amps. It can be used with their cdplayers too and will bring improvements.

Now you can all start pulling various figures from dark places but the PSX replaces a standard mains lead.

I'd suggest you research the claims of some of these boutique chords and understand what they claim they do to improve the performance of your kit then look into the engineering of these chords.

To be honest I don't use Cyrus and I've never compared the kit with and without a PSX but I can respect how the mains supplied to the back of your kit can be 'regulated' to improve the performance of hifi.

It plugs into a different socket and bypasses the whole built-in power supply. If all it did was replace the lead, it would plug into the same socket.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
L,ol......

Ok we shall see.....

It plugs into a different socket and bypasses the whole built-in power supply. If all it did was replace the lead, it would plug into the same socket.

So the amp needs a seperate or its own power chord to operate?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I can respect how the mains supplied to the back of your kit can be 'regulated' to improve the performance of hifi.

No you can't, otherwise you wouldn't have called the PSX 'a glorified mains cable'. I've deliberately so far not even expressed an opinion either way in this thread about mains cables, and mostly I was doing just fine until you came along and started comparing mains cables to a PSX.

We all have the same internet, it's very easy these days to arm yourself with the facts about something (such as a PSX) before you post like a boss, so if you don't want to be slapped right down for it, do your research.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

On the Cyrus 2, only the PSX needs a mains cable, unless you intend to use the phono input. Newer Cyrus amps probably need both the amp and PSX-R connected to drive the displays and logic circutry.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:

On the Cyrus 2, only the PSX needs a mains cable, unless you intend to use the phono input. Newer Cyrus amps probably need both the amp and PSX-R connected to drive the displays and logic circutry.

Then that makes it a glorified mains cable.....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

If your definition of 'a glorified mains cable' is a hulking great 500VA outboard power supply that replaces the one in the amp and allows the amp to deliver over 25% more power and over 30% more current, then by your definition (which no one else agrees with), it's a glorified mains cable. Let us know when you find a mains cable that does the same. We'll be all over it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
As has been said before (by myself and others), the addition of a PSX-R is not to increase power. It is a highly regulated power supply for the Pre-amplification stage of the integrated (or small signal circuitry of other components). It leaves the built-in psu to deal with driving duties.

Wrong. You don't need a wacking great toroid to feed a preamp, so of course it is to increase power. The far bigger caps would also improve the sound by lowering the output impedance.

Output impedance of cyrus power amplifiers are already low enough as to not induce any problems further down the chain.

The PSX does not increase power in the case of the later cyrus integrated amplifiers. It feeds the pre-amplifier and some control circuits. They do/did increase power in some instances with some of the dedicated power amplifiers and older integrateds.

Whether or not you 'need' such a 'large' supply for small signal voltage regulation is probably for the engineers to decide. It clearly works for Cyrus, Naim and others.

Its a 'one size fits all' solution. PSX-R's are the same no matter for what purpose they're used unlike Naim's. Cyrus clearly thought that the size is universally adequate.

I also question your argument about price. A cyrus supply cost around 500 quid. You can use this for an amplifier, cd player and other components.

In my book that makes a PSX-R a rather versatile and good investment.

Some of these supplies are relatively small by 'audiophile' standards. Look at some of AVIDS Turntable supply regulators, just to name one.

Of course, TrevC knows better, as usual :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not really wishing to take part here but the PSX is an upgraded and more powerful power supply. It is very possible that such a device might improve the sound. How is this a power cable??? Confused :-(

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Not really wishing to take part here but the PSX is an upgraded and more powerful power supply. It is very possible that such a device might improve the sound. How is this a power cable??? Confused :-(

Who says it is a 'power cable'?

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
RobinKidderminster said:

ThomsonUXB wrote "Now the PSX is an example in the extreme of a 'mains cable' "

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

If your definition of 'a glorified mains cable' is a hulking great 500VA outboard power supply that replaces the one in the amp and allows the amp to deliver over 25% more power and over 30% more current, then by your definition (which no one else agrees with), it's a glorified mains cable. Let us know when you find a mains cable that does the same. We'll be all over it.

And there is my point Major.....

The PSX delivers power from the mains to the standard amp the mains chord is replaced by it.

Refer to my previous entrys......

Point I'm trying to make is why some are so dismissive about power chords.

Cyrus's example shows they utilise the mains into their kit to bring improvements so why can't boutique power chord manufacturers do the same - not as extravagantly, but hey.

This is not exclusively about Cyrus..... Let's be clear.

Dom

Usually power cable adverts claim improved sonics.

I have a vibrating toothbrush (Not to be confused with an electric toothbrush). To clean my teeth better.

I talked to Russ Andrews about The Silencer plug, he said "more feel than hear".

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

The PSX delivers power from the mains to the standard amp the mains chord is replaced by it.

Cyrus's example shows they utilise the mains into their kit to bring improvements so why can't boutique power chord manufacturers do the same - not as extravagantly, but hey.

No. The amplifier retains its mains connection as does the PSX. They work independantly, splitting the PSU duties.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
drummerman said:
RobinKidderminster said:

ThomsonUXB wrote "Now the PSX is an example in the extreme of a 'mains cable' "

Thanks for highlighting that - some may notice the 'mains cable'.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Thompsonuxb said:
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

No. The amplifier retains its mains connection as does the PSX. They work independantly, splitting the PSU duties.

So both are connected to the mains?

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I'm missing an important point here but isn't a Cyrus PSX a bloody great box of electronics such as transformer, capacitors etc?

Whereas a power cable is a piece of wire with a male plug on one end and a female plug on the other?

Assuming that is correct, how the hell can they possibly do the same thing to the voltage/current arriving at the amp?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
drummerman said:
Thompsonuxb said:
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
?

So both are connected to the mains?

Yes.

The PSX is connected to it's counterpart via a proprietary umbilical cord.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Sorry if I'm missing an important point here but isn't a Cyrus PSX a bloody great box of electronics such as transformer, capacitors etc?

Whereas a power cable is a piece of wire with a male plug on one end and a female plug on the other?

Assuming that is correct, how the hell can they possibly do the same thing to the voltage/current arriving at the amp?

+1 This really is a silly, pointless argument

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

No, they utilise separate power supplies to feed different parts of their components' circuitry to (theoretically) improve performance, sometimes with increased measurable power and currect delivery (certainly on the old C2). Replacing one perfectly adequate bit of mains wire with another perfectly adequate bit of mains wire isn't the same thing. EDIT: Note I'm not saying changing mains cables doesn't and can't change the sound, I'm purposefully keeping out of that one, it's an old debate and I've repeated my opinion elsewhere like a stuck record, I'm just saying your analogy with the PSX was fundamentally flawed.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gaz37 said:

Yup that's it summed up. But this is UXB world.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts