power and speaker sensitivity

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Maybe someone can help me with a question. To play loud on insensitive speakers (e.g. 86dB) we are all agreed a powerful amplifier is needed (e.g. 100W and above). However, when playing at low volume, is there an advantage in a high power amplifier, all other things being equal? In other words, if I use a higher power amplifier of equal quality, will I likely get a better sound at low volumes from my speakers, or is the only point of the high wattage to allow me to play loud?

Thanks in advance!

T

the record spot

You can get an 8w valve amp turning out some serious volume on the right kind of speakers all things being equal - the power of an amp on its' own isn't a true guide in isolation. If the speaker is accommodating enough it can work well.

A

Anonymous

thanks, that's very helpful. To put it in context, I have a 40W valve amp (Jadis orchestra) and 86dB standmounts (Sonus faber concertino). I was wondering if these speakers are too tough a drive for the amp and whther I would (at least theoretically) get better results from more sensitive speakers (I was considering the Proac studio 140 which rate 91dB I think). I don't see many other speakers in this range. At no stage will I want to play particularly loud. Does anyone know of other speakers that are reccomended for lowish wattge valve amps?

A

Anonymous

Yes but loudness isn't what I want, just quality. My question really is, at low volume would a high wattage amp better control the signal into a low sensitivity speaker than an otherwise identical low wattage amp.

A

Anonymous

ProAc Studio 140 (according to the spec) can drop to 4 ohms - it may require high current feed at that impedance level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts