Power amps with exceptional clarity??

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxfordian

I like what Linn and others are doing with high end hifi, sure it is expensive but then so are plenty of other things when they are launched, the effect of these high end launches will become more obvious in future developments as the technology gets into updated products at lower price points.

If we don't have these new products then we cease to move forward and that would be detrimental to the whole industry.

You cannot price every product so that it is available to everyone, life doesn't work like that, there are price tiers in just about everything in life, from basic shopping through to house buying, technology is no different.

The question is whether the subject of the OP's question can do what the marketing blurb claims, and I believe that it can if only through the tech that is built into it. We are moving away from pre-determined set-ups that have been the standard for many years and into a new era, this launch could well be the first of what is to follow.

We could well be at the start of a shift in the whole hifi world, intelligent hifi adapting its output as it plays, far fetched? Maybe, maybe not.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I like what Linn and others are doing with high end hifi, sure it is expensive but then so are plenty of other things when they are launched, the effect of these high end launches will become more obvious in future developments as the technology gets into updated products at lower price points.

If we don't have these new products then we cease to move forward and that would be detrimental to the whole industry.

You cannot price every product so that it is available to everyone, life doesn't work like that, there are price tiers in just about everything in life, from basic shopping through to house buying, technology is no different.

The question is whether the subject of the OP's question can do what the marketing blurb claims, and I believe that it can if only through the tech that is built into it. We are moving away from pre-determined set-ups that have been the standard for many years and into a new era, this launch could well be the first of what is to follow.

We could well be at the start of a shift in the whole hifi world, intelligent hifi adapting its output as it plays, far fetched? Maybe, maybe not.
I agree.

With Linn their existing Klimax amps are in both mono and stereo.

Is this going to be a future development with the Klimax 800s, a stereo version in the same size box.

Linn certainly are innovating intelligent hifi with their streamers and speakers so it would seem logical to follow this through with their new amps.

I must admit that I like where they’re going with this as the technology will filter down from the Klimax range into their more affordable ranges, Selekt and Majik.

That’s one of the other things with Linn, is the levels and options of kit that they offer, something for everyone.

I will go and listen to the Linn Klimax Solo 800 amps if and when a local dealer holds a demo day of these.

DG…

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

I agree.

With Linn their existing Klimax amps are in both mono and stereo.

Is this going to be a future development with the Klimax 800s, a stereo version in the same size box.

Linn certainly are innovating intelligent hifi with their streamers and speakers so it would seem logical to follow this through with their new amps.

I must admit that I like where they’re going with this as the technology will filter down from the Klimax range into their more affordable ranges, Selekt and Majik.

That’s one of the other things with Linn, is the levels and options of kit that they offer, something for everyone.

I will go and listen to the Linn Klimax Solo 800 amps if and when a local dealer holds a demo day of these.

DG…
I have to say that I am getting sucked in to the Linn message more and more, I'm not into streaming but recognise that it is something that I need to investigate so a Majik system would give me that, and allow me to connect my TT and CDT, I also sense that the product will stand the test of time and should the worst happen I will be able to get it repaired.

If the system lacks anything it is the ability to rip a CD bit perfect which I believe that the Naim Uniti Core can do, but the Core cannot do what the Majik can.

What Linn are doing at the moment is impressive, sure price wise they are not exactly bargain basement but they do allow access at various price points, seeing a Company have the confidence to introduce this new amplifier is great and bodes well for the future when that technology will start to appear in products further down the range.

Looking at the website for my local store they don't appear to be a stockist for the Klimax range but I am going to ask the question about the new Solo 800's when I meet them later this week, and find out a lot more about this Majik system.

Reactions: nopiano

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I have to say that I am getting sucked in to the Linn message more and more, I'm not into streaming but recognise that it is something that I need to investigate so a Majik system would give me that, and allow me to connect my TT and CDT, I also sense that the product will stand the test of time and should the worst happen I will be able to get it repaired.

If the system lacks anything it is the ability to rip a CD bit perfect which I believe that the Naim Uniti Core can do, but the Core cannot do what the Majik can.

What Linn are doing at the moment is impressive, sure price wise they are not exactly bargain basement but they do allow access at various price points, seeing a Company have the confidence to introduce this new amplifier is great and bodes well for the future when that technology will start to appear in products further down the range.

Looking at the website for my local store they don't appear to be a stockist for the Klimax range but I am going to ask the question about the new Solo 800's when I meet them later this week, and find out a lot more about this Majik system.
If you’re going to look at the Linn DSMs, take a look at the Selekt range, they are a nice step up from the Majik.

I have the Selekt DSM; Edition Hub, but they do have the Classic hub, which is about half the cost.

The Majik is £3380, whereas the Selekt Classic Hub is £4900, so not miles away , plus it is very modular.

Something to consider, along with part exchanging your existing kit.

Don’t know where you’re based but Cymbiosis in Leicester is a good dealer to start with.

DG…

Oxfordian

If you’re going to look at the Linn DSMs, take a look at the Selekt range, they are a nice step up from the Majik.

I have the Selekt DSM; Edition Hub, but they do have the Classic hub, which is about half the cost.

The Majik is £3380, whereas the Selekt Classic Hub is £4900, so not miles away , plus it is very modular.

Something to consider, along with part exchanging your existing kit.

Don’t know where you’re based but Cymbiosis in Leicester is a good dealer to start with.

DG…
I have spoken to that nice man in Leicester re a LP12 but it is a two day trip to see him, so whilst he is very very good at what he does, I will probably stick with my local dealer here in the south west.

Priority is a new TT then later this year review amplification giving me plenty of time to contemplate options and what her ladyship will allow me to spend. :LOL:

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
perhaps, but you missed my point.
Is overall sound going to be down to the power amps or whatever they are connected to in the way of a preamp?
Can power amps influence the source? Not in my experience.....
Well the source no way, the pre amp well yes in so far as the output from the pre amp to the gain of the power amp in regards to getting the best useable range and stereo tracking on the volume pot.

Fandango Andy

I have to agree with Pod, all this mega-expensive kit is just ridiculous. It is only for the elite class not your average Joe Bloggs, therefore, is it not elitist if it is aimed purely at the elite class?
I agree, even if I could easily afford it I could not imagine spending that kind of money on a hifi.

However, there is another side to this. The huge cost isn't about the cost of making an individual unit, but the research and development that went into the project, and that elements of what they discover will trickle down to more affordable products in future.

I agree, even if I could easily afford it I could not imagine spending that kind of money on a hifi.

However, there is another side to this. The huge cost isn't about the cost of making an individual unit, but the research and development that went into the project, and that elements of what they discover will trickle down to more affordable products in future.
My question wasn't to do with the items cost it was whether or not a power amplifier can influence the overall sound as they profess it can.....
Most seem to have successfully avoided answering this and have taken this thread way off track.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
My question wasn't to do with the items cost it was whether or not a power amplifier can influence the overall sound as they profess it can.....
Most seem to have successfully avoided answering this and have taken this thread way off track.
Well as the power amp has to supply the speakers with the current they demand to reproduce the music then yes they can.

gasolin

Try this amp https://www.galion-audio.com/pages/ts-a75
DSC_4691.jpg

Fandango Andy

That is a really question to answer: Yes.

The harder question to answer is by how much, and under what circumstances?

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
As it was very much a closed question, then the answer would be, yes.

Were you just expecting a number of "yes” answers.

Don't most threads go a bit off course on here? Although Michael Jordan's sweaty trainers is probably a first.

:oops: Guess I'm part of the problem so apologies
Noted, thanks.
And, yes, most people don't tend to respond to the initial post but simply defer to responding to more recent posts which is where it all goes awry and makes most forums a nonsense unless adequately moderated.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
However dreadful the situation in Ukraine is, it's both off topic and political.

And I'll flag up here that forum rules forbid belittling or insulting. Suggesting things are 'beyond' other users is the former. Moderation isn't acting at this point in the hope that the breaches end here.

Back on topic, I find it hard to see that a power amp (even one as ludicrously priced as the one in question) can have a significant effect on the character of the music - not in comparison with other links in the chain anyway.
Yeah ...me too. I mean any half decent amp should be amplifying with clarity surely..... Perhaps I'm missing the point though who knows. Maybe I'll find out for sure when I've moved into the league of Audio Enthusiasts who can spend multiples of ten thousand on a sound system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS