Power amps with exceptional clarity??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

podknocker

As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters.

Now can we get back to a serious discussion of the product, or is that beyond you too?

DG…
HIFI discussion on any forum shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's a hobby for most people, not something to obsess over. People on here should try to add their opinions with a more lighthearted approach. We are lucky we can take part really, considering the plight of many out there. We're less than 1500 miles away from a country being blown to bits by an autocratic, warmongering barbarian. I bet they'd love to have their homes back and chat about overpriced HIFI. I've been on this forum nearly 3 years and I've noticed there are a few miserable sods with no sense of humour, who perhaps need to get out a bit more.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
HIFI discussion on any forum shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's a hobby for most people, not something to obsess over. People on here should try to add their opinions with a more lighthearted approach. We are lucky we can take part really, considering the plight of many out there. We're less than 1500 miles away from a country being blown to bits by an autocratic, warmongering barbarian. I bet they'd love to have their homes back and chat about overpriced HIFI. I've been on this forum nearly 3 years and I've noticed there are a few miserable sods with no sense of humour, who perhaps need to get out a bit more.
Some of us like to have serious discussions about Hi-Fi without all this rubbish.

Bringing politics and war into a Hi-Fi forum isn’t relevant, but whatever floats your boat, knock yourself out.

Meanwhile back to the Hi-Fi discussion.

DG….

podknocker

Some of us like to have serious discussions about Hi-Fi without all this rubbish.

Bringing politics and war into a Hi-Fi forum isn’t relevant, but whatever floats your boat, knock yourself out.

Meanwhile back to the Hi-Fi discussion.

DG….
If we were all as serious as you appear to be and we all agreed on the same ideas about discussing HIFI, or anything else, it would be a very grey and dull forum. I can and do have serious arguments about HIFI, as it's something I'm really passionate about, but it does no harm bringing a bit of humour and joviality to this, or any other platform. We are human after all, not HIFI fixated AI chatbots.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDL and DougK1

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
If we were all as serious as you appear to be and we all agreed on the same ideas about discussing HIFI, or anything else, it would be a very grey and dull forum. I can and do have serious arguments about HIFI, but it does no harm bringing a bit of humour and joviality to this, or any other platform. We are human after all, not HIFI fixated AI chatbots.
Dull maybe to you, but interesting to some.

What is a “AI Chatbot”, for some reason you think I’m one.

What strange thoughts you have.

DG…

podknocker

I've always enjoyed music. I find HIFI interesting and will always seek advice about realistic and practical improvements, but at the end of the day, we will all die and spending your life taking music reproduction so seriously can't be healthy. Life is all about balance and I think people who always want what they can't have, end up being very unhappy. You will probably never be able to afford a £100k Linn system and why would you want one, if you could afford it? I doubt there's anyone out there reading this post who does actually have the means to buy this sort of product and if they could, they would probably be seeking other ways of spending their wealth and don't care about overpriced, elitist HIFI equipment. I work in IT and many of my colleagues over the last 25 years became obsessed with technology and they changed so much. Becoming obsessed with HIFI, cars, computer games, or football is never good and it's good to find some sort of perspective, with everything in life. I spend ages on this forum, while I work from my flat. If I didn't need to earn a living, I wouldn't be here and I'd be doing something more productive. Getting worked up over HIFI you will never own is pointless. It's just bits of metal and plastic and in the grand scheme of things, isn't really important, (edited by moderation)

Last edited by a moderator:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I've always enjoyed music. I find HIFI interesting and will always seek advice about realistic and practical improvements, but at the end of the day, we will all die and spending your life taking music reproduction so seriously can't be healthy. Life is all about balance and I think people who always want what they can't have, end up being very unhappy. You will probably never be able to afford a £100k Linn system and why would you want one, if you could afford it? I doubt there's anyone out there reading this post who does actually have the means to buy this sort of product. They will probably be seeking other ways of spending their wealth and don't care about overpriced, elitist HIFI equipment. I work in IT and many of my colleagues over the last 25 years became obsessed with technology and they changed so much. Becoming obsessed with HIFI, cars, computer games, or football is never good and it's good to find some sort of perspective, with everything in life. I spend ages on this forum, while I work from my flat. If I didn't need to earn a living, I wouldn't be here and I'd be doing something more productive. Getting worked up over HIFI you will never own is pointless. It's just bits of metal and plastic and in the grand scheme of things, isn't really important, hence my need to mention the people being blown to bits by Putin. It's not politics, it's just a recogniton of the state of humanity and seeing their situation as dire, compared to your situation, or mine. People being bombed and killed is more important than a £100k of Linn nonsense you will never own.
I think that you’re the one getting worked up.

Perspective is one thing, slagging off Hi-Fi producers and other Forum members because they have a different opinion from you is a completely different thing.

I’m sure that they’re not the phrases What HiFi would use when reviewing products.

As you keep making assumptions about me, albeit incorrect, allow me to update you.

I like Linn products and have done since the 1980s, when I got my LP12. However, after many upgrades it has now been moved on.

I like the Klimax Solo 800 power amps and the LP12-50. Whether I want to buy them or not is academic. What I do like is that the investment, engineering, time, etc. that Linn has put into these projects trickles down into their other products. Therefore we see this innovation and technology appearing in their other more affordable, if you like, products over the foreseeable future.

Additionally, it is good to a British company employing many employees and putting money into the economy

I’ll let you decide if I’m a “miserable old git” or “AI Chatbot” as you describe.

DG…

Reactions: Oxfordian

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Indeed so but, not wanting to take things so seriously is not wrong, just different. Vive la différence, as the French say.
Different is good as none of us are the same.

Slagging off someone who has a different opinion is a different matter.

Not sure bringing war and Putin helps the situation either.

DG…

Oxfordian

I like Linn products and have done since the 1980s, when I got my LP12. However, after many upgrades it has now been moved on.

I like the Klimax Solo 800 power amps and the LP12-50. Whether I want to buy them or not is academic. What I do like is that the investment, engineering, time, etc. that Linn has put into these projects trickles down into their other products. Therefore we see this innovation and technology appearing in their other more affordable, if you like, products over the foreseeable future.

Additionally, it is good to a British company employing many employees and putting money into the economy

I’ll let you decide if I’m a “miserable old git” or “AI Chatbot” as you describe.

DG…
If I had as much money as I could ever want or need then I would definitely be looking at kit that comes in the ‘if you have to ask the price then you can’t afford it’ category.

So yes, I’m in, the right 6 lottery numbers drop in on a rollover week and I'll have the local store drop some gear off for me to listen too.

Sure this gear is expensive but as you say what Linn learn from this will become trickle down technology in years to come. And being proudly Scottish they do contribute to the economy so all credit to then for the launch.

Changing the subject slightly, Naim also launched a rather expensive one box item today, a Uniti Nova PE with the oomph to drive most speakers, so for one box aficionados this could be of interest.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Changing the subject slightly, Naim also launched a rather expensive one box item today, a Uniti Nova PE with the oomph to drive most speakers, so for one box aficionados this could be of interest.
Yes. Saw that and looks interesting. On the Naim Forum, it’s receiving mixed reviews and there is no actual info whether it is Class A/B or Class D amplification.

I’ll keep with my one box solution of the Selekt DSM; Edition Hub as we really like it.

DG…

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
I can be serious. I bought speakers that I cannot pick up. I thought I cannot wait untill I am on my death bed to avail myself of a larger house, a faster car, a finer stereo. These thing are not the sort of stuff to pass on to the living family, when I'm gone .So I want to satisfy my self with what I want, while I'm here.
I had a theory, that the cost of decent music is thus; The cost of all the units, is equal the cost of the speakers.
I may be right or wrong, but it served me well up until now. I drink too much.

Oxfordian

perhaps, but you missed my point.
Is overall sound going to be down to the power amps or whatever they are connected to in the way of a preamp?
Can power amps influence the source? Not in my experience.....
Maybe Linn would expect them to be used within their Klimax system and perceive that front end is more than good enough hence their statement?

If someone cannot get this thread back on track I shall ask it be locked.
Many thanks.
However dreadful the situation in Ukraine is, it's both off topic and political.

And I'll flag up here that forum rules forbid belittling or insulting. Suggesting things are 'beyond' other users is the former. Moderation isn't acting at this point in the hope that the breaches end here.

Back on topic, I find it hard to see that a power amp (even one as ludicrously priced as the one in question) can have a significant effect on the character of the music - not in comparison with other links in the chain anyway.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Class D from what I’ve read.
I had a feeling it was. There are some good Class D amps out there.

Linn have been using Class D for a while and these are very good. Plus, in my office system , I have a SMSL SA300 amplifier which is Class D and, for the money is very good SQ wise and good value.

DG…

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts