Power amp recommendation for Stream Magic 6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. Playing it though my ancient Copland amp and Sonus Faber speakers.

Sounds fabulous, but the Copland is on its way out.

Looking for a replacement amp. I understand the Stream Magic is a pre amp, so I am looking for a suitable power amp.

Any recommendations please?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your budget. Is the Copland a valve amp? If yes, are you looking for another valve amp or would you be willing to try something else? My suggestion would be Sugden's power amp ( pure class A ) or one of Musical Fiedlity's power amps, from its M6, M8 or even AMS ranges.. If budget is a consideration, then perhaps wait for the matching CA power amp. When the company released its 851 range last year, it said it was working on a matching pre power combo, so that might be worth exploring when it happens, provided your Copland can hang on until then. Good luck!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if you can go from Copeland tube amps to solid state amps, I know I'm not ever going to get solid state amplification again. It might be worth checking out Cayin's range of tube amplifiers too. Your Sonos Fabers should be efficient so I think something like a Cayin a-55t or a-100t or funds permitting even a a-300t would sound amazing. Might be worth a look, in my opinion they are great bang the buck, well made, reliable and sound wonderful.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[Unpublished - trading]

Stephenm22 said:
I recently bought a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. Playing it though my ancient Copland amp and Sonus Faber speakers.

Looking for a replacement amp. I understand the Stream Magic is a pre amp, so I am looking for a suitable power amp.

What model copland is it and what is wrong with it?

I may be interested in taking it off you for repair.

regards

Stephenm22 said:

If you are in the UK, I would get your dealer (or the importers, Absolute Sounds) to see what can be done to the Copland. Their only poweramp in the recent pricelist is the CTA506 at £4500 and I guess you might feel that is a bit steep?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts