Position of Sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning. Quick bit of help please, I'm about to install my new TV room and I'm trying to find out where to put my sub. I've got a Q-AV system and have had the TV wall set up to wall mount the sub, on the bottom left as I face the wall. I'm trying to find out if the sub is directional and if it matters tha the port hole is facing a wall about 6 inches away. Or do I need to have the port hole facing me, and therefore have to mount the sub on a side wall. Help appreciated.
Cheers, Nick

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The subs are not directional, i.e. (and that is if not set too loud) you cannot tell which direction the sound is coming from.

However, the sound of bass (i.e. its loudness and behaviour) is quite sensitive to where you are in the room in relation to the sub (or equally where the sub is in relation to you). This is because as the sound waves travel within the room they mix with reflections in certain patterns at each frequency and you can get spots of high and low bass throughout the room (standing waves).

To determine where to put your sub, try putting it first at your listening position. Play a track with repetative bassline and walk around the room. You will notice that the depth of bass changes (and that includes vertical). Note the spots where the bass level is higher and put the sub in one of these spots.

Also, setting up the level and roll-off of the sub is quite important. See the thread in my signature for how I did it.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:

The subs are not directional, i.e. (and that is if not set too loud) you cannot tell which direction the sound is coming from.

Is that not also dependant on it being a down firing sub?

Regards...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
No. It is not related to type of sub, only to frequency. The human brain is not good at telling the directin of sound at low frequencies and can only do it at higher frequencies.

A

Anonymous

I did the same, put the RSW12 on my sofa, which almost broke under the weight.. LOL

But I crawled, and found beside my sofa and rear wall was the best, and I can never hear were its coming from, unless the bass is really intense.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Am I right in saying that I pop my sub on my sofa then should I Crawl or Walk around the room until I hear the best sound? Then once I have found that spot place my sub there?

Thanks

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
canada16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M&feature=related

Yes, and it works

Great video, I may have ago at that is a couple days, just hope no one sees me or they think I have gone mad.
emotion-8.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts