PM6005 - speaker choice: BX2, BX5 or Zensor 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nobru

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir, those certainly look wonderful - even I know about Sonus faber. And while I am waiting for a few more votes on my proposed four, I'll take the opportunity to learn something and ask you why you think these woud be better. After a quick trawl through online reviews, the consensus seems to be that Concertinos need a powerful and high(er)-fi amplifier; I doubt that my modest Marantz fits those categories?

Thanks

Bruno

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
For me it's a toss-up between the BX5 and Dynaudios.

Based on your amp, room size and the speaker spec I'd go with the BX5's.

The Dynaudios are probably more capable ref future upgrades but the BX's are no slouches ether.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nobru said:
Vladimir, those certainly look wonderful - even I know about Sonus faber. And while I am waiting for a few more votes on my proposed four, I'll take the opportunity to learn something and ask you why you think these woud be better. After a quick trawl through online reviews, the consensus seems to be that Concertinos need a powerful and high(er)-fi amplifier; I doubt that my modest Marantz fits those categories?

Thanks

Bruno

Why is a 1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello better than a 2014 Honda Accord?

All small speakers require a powerfull amp or a small listening room to achieve deep bass extention. You can't get big sound from a small box with a small driver on few watts, in an average or large room. If a small bookshelf speaker doesn't suck the life out of an amp, it means it was designed not to produce bass very deep, thus be gentle to amplifiers, or to be used in very small rooms. Bass frequencies are where 80% of the power is used. Monitor Audios are bass light and will work better with weaker amps, in a smaller room.

Monitor Audio BX - sane choice.

Dynaudio DM2/6 - aspirational.

Sonus Faber Concertino - audiophilia exotica.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
For my 81dB 8ohms speakers to push desired 85dB SPL at 2m listener distance, with ampifier headroom of 12dB, I need 159Wpc in 8ohms amplifier.

Here is how I used to think of amps and speakers "Hey, my speakers are 86dB efficient, I just need 1W to play 86dB SPL at 1m and just 2W at 2m. All good then!" Well, not really. Here is how it's calculated.

dBW = Lreq - Lsens + 20 * Log (D2/Dref) + HR

W = 10 to the power of (dBW / 10)

Where:

Lreq = required SPL at listener

Lsens = loudspeaker sensitivity (1W/1M)

D2 = loudspeaker-to-listener distance

Dref = reference distance

HR = desired amplifier headroom

dBW = ratio of power referenced to 1 watt

W = power required

This spl calculator is quite useful

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

dannyfloyd

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday i thoroughly enjoyed this long post... I'm buying the marantz pm6005 amp so today I blind auditioned it with 3 speakers: zensor 3 vs. Bx2 vs. Q acoustics concept 20.

Beforehand the salesman stated his preference for the bx2 'warm tones', but ended up changing his mind - we both agreed The zensor 3 won a clean fight - bags of bass, balanced perfectly with detailed middle and incredible range up to the high trebbles. It's such a fun sound.

Before testing id read this post and other reviews and I became worried this sound would be a bit overbearing for daily listening, but instead it was exciting stuff.

The bx2 s and the concept 20s did an admirable job: came close, but couldn't clinch it on my blind test. Just not as much get-up-and-go, nor clean differentiation between sounds.

In second place (for sound only) was concept 20. However given the great quality of the bx2 id buy these before the concept 20 as they are £150 cheaper.

Placing my order for the amp plus zensor 3s tomorrow. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts