Plinius combo dear Clare

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello again Clare. I like to know what speakers did you use for your review and which other speakers would you advice me demo with the combo.Hears the list of speakers i like to try;B&W 805s,Wilson sq one,Pro ac D2,Monitor audio plat pl100.Which one of these would sound the best with the combo?. And also regarding the Leema combo which one of the combo's do you think is better(prefer) sound wise. And which one of the speakers above do you think would the Leema and Plinius combo's give the best sound. Please can you give me your first choice and second choice speakers.Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We used our reference ATC SCM 50 speakers (about £8K worth), plus some price-comparable options (Wilson Benesch Square 2s, I believe), and I personally gave them an extensive, rewarding run with Mordaunt Short Performance 6s (£3500). We also hooked up the Monitor Audio Platinum PL100s (£5000) we were testing at the same time.

But i'm afraid i'm not going to give you a simple one/two answer on speakers - hi-fi at this level deserves to be heard and explored in full, with a wealth of options open to you depending on your room size and musical preference.

What I will say is that you'll be underselling the power and potential of the Plinius' if you pair them with £1500 speakers along the lines of the B&W and WB speakers you mention: yes, they're excellent speakers, but you should be thinking of higher-end still to hear what these exceptional electronics are capable of.

So, if you've a massive room, hear them with the Monitor Audio Platinums; if you like an ultra-real sound try the Mordaunt Shorts (though this combo could sound a little edgy in a bare room); for an all-round sound the WB Square Twos would be great. Others to try? Pro-Ac Response D28. Some Focal Be-range and Dali Helicons are worth mentioning, too - again, it'll depend so much on your musical preferences and room set-up.

Don't forget decent cable, either - we found the Plinius pair thrived on high-end leads.

And finally, do I think the Plinius pair is better than the Leema pair? Yes - but then it should be for £1000 extra!

If you really are thinking of buying a £10K+ set-up like this, i'd enjoy every minute of the testing and listening involved - not only will it be fun, but it's an investment in your enjoyment future. I'm jealous - we really didn't want to wave goodbye to the Plinius kit.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
I would also have a listen to Krell 400Xi as it sound very similar to Plinus and a lot cheaper too.
[/quote]

... perhaps also test drive a BMW 3 series, its lovely

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
We used our reference ATC SCM 50 speakers (about £8K worth), plus some price-comparable options (Wilson Benesch Square 2s, I believe), and I personally gave them an extensive, rewarding run with Mordaunt Short Performance 6s (£3500). We also hooked up the Monitor Audio Platinum PL100s (£5000) we were testing at the same time.

But i'm afraid i'm not going to give you a simple one/two answer on speakers - hi-fi at this level deserves to be heard and explored in full, with a wealth of options open to you depending on your room size and musical preference.

What I will say is that you'll be underselling the power and potential of the Plinius' if you pair them with £1500 speakers along the lines of the B&W and WB speakers you mention: yes, they're excellent speakers, but you should be thinking of higher-end still to hear what these exceptional electronics are capable of.

So, if you've a massive room, hear them with the Monitor Audio Platinums; if you like an ultra-real sound try the Mordaunt Shorts (though this combo could sound a little edgy in a bare room); for an all-round sound the WB Square Twos would be great. Others to try? Pro-Ac Response D28. Some Focal Be-range and Dali Helicons are worth mentioning, too - again, it'll depend so much on your musical preferences and room set-up.

Don't forget decent cable, either - we found the Plinius pair thrived on high-end leads.

And finally, do I think the Plinius pair is better than the Leema pair? Yes - but then it should be for £1000 extra!

If you really are thinking of buying a £10K+ set-up like this, i'd enjoy every minute of the testing and listening involved - not only will it be fun, but it's an investment in your enjoyment future. I'm jealous - we really didn't want to wave goodbye to the Plinius kit.

[/quote]
Hi Clare.
unfortunately due to the size of my room i have to cut my choice to some quality £1500-2300 standmounters instead.I listen to every type of music except Techno.My room size is 3.5-4.5.And i have listened to most of the kit except Plinius.
Have to try them in different combinations.Now that you have a better idea of my requirements i,ll start again.
If i choose a budget system it's going to be AVI,COPLAND 823,B&W 805s or WB ONE or PRO AC D TWO vs Primare i30,Copland 823,B&W 805s,PRO AC D TWO(which combi and speakers will sound best).Now if i choose to spend more then it'll be between £6000 Plinius kit,with above speakers or the £2300 Monitor Audio PL100 vs £5500 Leema kit with above speakers or the £2300 Monitor Audio pl-100 which combi and speakers will sound best.Now that you know i,m interested in the MA PL-100 not the £5000 PL-300 and there is just £500 difference between the Leema and Plinius and how would they fair individually, i mean CD vs CD /AMP vs AMP and also which one of these would give me a more neutral sound similar to AVI or a warmer sound like the Primare.Lastly i,m also interested in the £2500 Marantz SA-11S2 any idea how it sounds like?
THANKS BYE.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I wish!

My limited experience in this price bracket would suggest the WB Square 2s as they sounded much better than anything at the WHFSAV show, better than the Cyrus room, better than the Dali room, better than the Naim room which were all very similar in quality.

I also have some ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures and if the Response D28s are anything like as good as these pro rata then they will be very special speakers indeed, with a sheer verve and foot tapping musicality.

invite me round for a test drive, I'll pop over in my 3 Series (estate).

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Iam from Canada and have a cyrus set up Cd 8X with psx Pre Xvs with psx, two smart powers running in mono with cardas golden cross and golden reference cables. My room is 11.5 feet wide by 12 long and 9 foot ceilings. I did have the Proac Studio 110's but really wasnt happy with them, they were good but just not what i was looking for, so i ordered the proac D28's (loving my other proac's I have had in the past). I do have wide french doors that open behind me and lay against the back wall making the room longer, are these in your opinion going to be to big and load up? Iam a rock fan but not a volume junkie by any means, I dont think any of my speakers woofers have ever moved from sheer volume. I know you guys gave these glowing reviews, what about with the cyrus kit, thanks Mike

A

Anonymous

Also have a listen to the Kudos C10, it's a stunning high resolution standmounter that would suit the Plinus well, wire it up with some Kondos copper cables, or if your feeling even flusher Acoustic Revive SPC-PA4 cables, that should keep you happy and skint for a short while.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
American cables are half or almost half of what you pay over seas, cd 8x here is about 3 grand without the psx add 1000-1100 for that piece alone. pre Xvs was 3000 itself as well and so on, so no my cables are not worth more than my electronics
What about the D28's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts