Please Help A Newbie With New Hifi Setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

Im new here and really new to "High End Audio".

I am currently saving and looking into getting a decent hifi system together, circa the £750 - £1000 range.

After having a pair of Alessandro MS1's and now a pair of Grado SR325i's w/ G Cushion Pads, Im hooked and in need of having a high quality set-up.

A friend of mine has this set-up:

Tannoy Mercury V4's

Yamaha AS500

And i believe his system is bi-wired using QED Silver cables.

Now, This is more or less the same system i want, however i need your guys opinions on a few things:

1, Yamaha AS500 vs Marantz PM6004?

2, Whats the difference with speaker performance between both amplifiers?

3, Would your recommend using different cables?

4, Are there any other products you would recommend instead? With this budget what system would you go with and why?

Thanks, hope some people on here can help me out.

Liam

mantazu

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello Supervillain,

I am exactly moving from Tannou Fussion 4 (now they are caller Mercury 4) speakers and NAD receiver to much higher level and I have made my mind to go to stereo only (for music) and to use second hand oldies.

A

Anonymous

Hi omnibeard,

i'd prefer new but i am willing to second hand if a good deal arises.

what did you have in mind?

A

Anonymous

Why is bi-wiring not worth it?

Also, what makes you pair the marantz over the yamaha?

The reasons im edging more to the AS500 is the added power, and the sub port.

As i havn't heard the PM6004, does the extra £80 really justify over the AS500?

Supervillain said:
Why is bi-wiring not worth it?

Also, what makes you pair the marantz over the yamaha?

The reasons im edging more to the AS500 is the added power, and the sub port.

As i havn't heard the PM6004, does the extra £80 really justify over the AS500?

Because you will not hear any difference.

If the sub port is a 'must have' then go for it. Whatever you do audition it first, preferably in your own home, and don't just buy it because your mates sounded good.

I have heard both amps, but not with the Tannoy's, and I know which I would go for :)

It will also depend on what you intend as a source.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

Thats why i posted on here. i've been looking into this for about the last 2 months. But alot of the information ive found hasn't really been all that helpful to my final decision.

If i can help it, i don't want to have the same equipment as my friend. But i want to know whatever my decision is, that it rivals the same sound quality that his system produces.

A

Anonymous

My main source atm is my laptop playing FLAC and CD rip/WAV files. The soundcard is intergrated and doesnt sound all that great, but i am looking at getting the Fiio E17 to bypass my soundcard and use as my dedicated headphone amp/DAC.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For that budget, you really owe it to yourself to hear the AVI ADM9. If you're anywhere close to Gloucestershire get over to AVI and have a listen. The new RS model are £1250 which might be stretching it a bit.

Bartletts (on Amazn) will sell the previous 9s for £100o.

If you have a look at the AVI forum pairs come up for high hundreds.

A

Anonymous

Ok, after reading up a little about the AVI ADM9's, im very interested in these now.

What can you tell me about these, pro's/con's?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Pros...

Compact system, less boxes.

Superb sound quality, lack of distortion, flat(ish) frequency response.

Cons...

Sound presentation might initially seem bass light, but this is more to do with the way active speakers portray bass than any defficiency. They supposedly have more bass than my BM5As and they sound fine to me.

The deserve a listen, if only to discount them.

jjbomber

So you've got a £1,000 total budget and the suggestion is that you spend it all on a second hand pair of speakers. Presumably you are going to look at them for the next couple of years as your budget is blown and you haven't got a front end, amp or wires. So the pros is that you have something nice to look at; the cons is that you have nothing to listen to. You need a budget of around £2,500 to justify £1,000 on a pair of AVIs.

The best reply so far is actually in your question. You are very happy with your friend's system, si start there as a reference point. Try the Marantz in a dealers listening room. If it is better, then great. If not, go with what your friend has. He will be thrilled that you have endorsed his choice and you'll have a friend for life.

Ultimately it is your own ears that will make the choice, not how many stars it got at review time. It's your system, so do what's best for you.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
So you've got a £1,000 total budget and the suggestion is that you spend it all on a second hand pair of speakers. Presumably you are going to look at them for the next couple of years as your budget is blown and you haven't got a front end, amp or wires. So the pros is that you have something nice to look at; the cons is that you have nothing to listen to. You need a budget of around £2,500 to justify £1,000 on a pair of AVIs.

Erm, THESE are active speakers, with built in DAC and preamp, but you knew that already, right?

A

Anonymous

thats it, the ADM9's are all ill need though.

I like things very minimalist as is.

These will be breaking my budget, but they seem perfect to what i want. I am just abit wary of people saying they can be too revealing.

My friends set up is nice, but i don't want the same system as him if i can help it. He's my best mate anyway, and we spend alot of time comparing our music and equipment.

I want a system that is going to give me a similar sound experience as my Grados do.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:

Er, say what now?

Overdose said:
jjbomber said:

Erm, THESE are active speakers, with built in DAC and preamp, but you knew that already, right?

Aren't thet more 'powered' rather than truely 'active'? OK I'm being pedantic and no I don't think he knew that.:)

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Supervillain said:
thats it, the ADM9's are all ill need though.

I like things very minimalist as is.

These will be breaking my budget, but they seem perfect to what i want. I am just abit wary of people saying they can be too revealing.

My friends set up is nice, but i don't want the same system as him if i can help it. He's my best mate anyway, and we spend alot of time comparing our music and equipment.

I want a system that is going to give me a similar sound experience as my Grados do.

Whoah there big horse - the ADM9s are great, but there are cheaper active speakers that people on here are very happy with indeed.

Don't go rushing into anything - do plenty of research. There's a lot to take into consideration - room size, what music you listen to, what volume you listen at, blah blah blah.

Pro audio equipment might be a good bet for you - go and have a look at the various active speakers at somewhere like dv247.com - then google anything you're interested in for reviews and opinions.

Second hand wise it's all about research and waiting - I've seen Mission 752 speakers go for £31 on ebay recently, these are awesome speakers, I would imagine comfortably better than the Tannoys you mention. Pioneer A400s go for less than £100 if you look around. There's a Sansui AU217 on gumtree at the moment for £5!!!!!!

For what it's worth, I am listening to a pair of Monopulse Model As right now on the end of a cheap but very cheerful Pioneer A400 and to my ears they sound way better than the ADM9s I have heard. And cost less.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
Overdose said:
jjbomber said:

Aren't thet more 'powered' rather than truely 'active'? OK I'm being pedantic and no I don't think he knew that.:)

Truly active.

A

Anonymous

The problem i have got, is i don't have enough experience with high end audio equipment to know what's a good deal or not.

But whatever the final purchase is, i want it to be a system ill be happy with for years.

My friends system, is the only real high end system i've listened to. I'd say it sounds amazing, and more or less what i want, but this is why im asking for your guys help, because i don't know what anything else sounds like.

Im researching all different makes and models, but ultimately this isnt getting me anywhere.

My music tastes varies, i have quite an eclectic music taste. My favourite artists are prodcuers like, J dilla, Madlib, Flying Lotus just to name a few.

That is all very well but I doubt it is an arena that a newbie whats to get involved in. Buying kit of the vintage nature you are suggesting is a minefield for a newbie loaded with more duds than good 'uns.

Rewiews are one thing but at the end of the day they are only one persons opinion. He has to actually get out and listen to some stuff, it's the only way. He may find what he wants in the long run.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Supervillain said:
The problem i have got, is i don't have enough experience with high end audio equipment to know what's a good deal or not.

But whatever the final purchase is, i want it to be a system ill be happy with for years.

There are endless different sound presentations from the equipment on offer, both new and used. The downside to buying used, is not being able to demo the kit, but the plus is that your outlay for similar quality against new, will be much less. In fact, if you buy with a bit of patience and knowledge you might not lose anything if you want to sell on.

If however, you want new, then demos are a must, but to do this in your own home might be difficult.

Pro audio actives might give you what you want, but you would need a DAC/Preamp of some description, as most actives are only speaker/poweramp combinations. For info and as a guide, my system cost me around £550 (less the Mac), used, but in mint condition.

I could recommend various actives, but you still really need to hear them for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou,

Ill try my best to be patient.

This is originally what i was looking at:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/marantz_pm6004_with_tannoy_mercury_v4.shtml

It seems to be a fair deal new, plus ill have a little left over for a dedicated DAC and possibly a CD player

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Supervillian,

If you love your Grado head-fi then you will definitely like the AVI ADM 9 ACTIVE speakers. You will forget all about cables and various other things, they came with all the cables you need and [as has been said] for your money you get: DAC, PRE and dedicated POWER amps together with remote control.

As to longevity and satisfaction, there are numerous people who have swapped multi-thousand pound systems for ADM 9s and have no interest in upgrading or tweaking. Listen to and then buy the ADM 9s or buy them blind like I did, you will not be disappointed and you won't waste money in the future on supposed upgrades.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts