Pioneer PDP-428XD or Sony KDL-40W3000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Iv read 2 different model numbers for the Pioneer 42inch, one is the PDP-428XD and the other is the PDP-4280XD?!?! Could someone please tell me what the difference is?

Secondly, will channels with a fixed logo and gaming cause screen burn on the Pioneer, will the Pioneer show a better image when using a Xbox360 than if i had the Xbox360 connected to the Sony kdl-40w3000.

Which tv will be better for using a PS3 with?

Finally, which one is better overall for gaming, watching SD and HD movies and SD television broadcasts?

A

Anonymous

Both Pioneers are best. The 4280 is slightly lower spec than the 428 but comes with a stand, you have to buy one seperately with the 428. Pioneer's website has a comparrison tool. The "0" model is a home edition model. Definitely buy the Pioneer on all counts. Either one.

A

Anonymous

Are there any screen burn issues with the Pioneers as they are plasma?

A

Anonymous

You're sooooo never going to get close unless you leave it on for a week at a time on the same channel with static graphics. You really mustn't worry about it. Unless you plan to have sky sports news on 24hrs a day, in which case I pity you ;-)

A

Anonymous

Will - call me thicky pants, but the Pioneer 428XD and 4280XD both say they are 1080p...but both have a native resolution of 1024x768. How can this be?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

they handle 1080p and re-scale it, very well I might add

stephentroughton

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi There.... sorry for jumping on to this thread but can you tell me how to start a new thread please.

I've looked everywhere for the past hour.... Probably something really obvious

Thanks

Steve

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steve,

From the Forums home-page (the tab at the top here will take you there), click on the relevant Forum (ie Hi-fi etc) and click the "start a new topic' button at the top of the page.

For example, here's the TV landing page with button up top.

A

Anonymous

It depends what you mean by not matter. The Pioneer will accept all current types of video input (including the highest 1080p24) and process the signals to fit the resolution of its screen (1024x768). This is less than twice the resolution of 1080p, but what you have to remember is that resolution is probably the least important thing that makes a difference to image quality.

Unless you are sitting very close to the screen and using only HD sources for viewing, if you mostly watch terrestrial freeview, then using a 1080p native panel may actually reduce the quality of viewing experience compared to a HD ready TV.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Davros - I'm still a little confused though. The pioneer website has 1080p ready sets, but the 428 & 4280 are listed as just HD ready.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They are HD Ready sets capable of handling native 1080p content (at 24fps) - not every HD Ready set can achieve this, and in fact many TVs that carry the Full HD badge (by dint of their resolution) can't handle 1080p at 24fps...

Ah yes, the joy of specifications, standards and logos.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, they're HD-ready, because they're not displaying a native 1080p image in full 1080p resolution. The resolution of the 428XD, as you rightly say, is 1366 x 768, so any 1080p image has to be scaled down to fit the screen.

Confusing, I know, but an HD-ready set has to be able to display 1280 x 720 pixel resolution with 50/60Hz progressive scan (otherwise known as 720p), and at 1920 x 1080 at 50/60Hz interlaced (1080i). Interlaced means the odd and even numbered lines on the screen are scanned alternatively, rather than all at once which is what happens with progressive scan (this giving smoother motion).

'Full HD" sets are designed to handle 1080p (progressive scan) video from Blu-ray and HD DVD players. These display a full 1920 x 1080 resolution image, scanned progressively (not interlaced as in an HD-ready set).

Newer sets such as the Pioneers are officially HD-ready, but can still handle a 1080p image, even if they're not actually showing it in full 1080p resolution. That any clearer?!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks all.....

So - is there any reduction in quality, in the Pioneer 'down scaling' the picture to fit its 1280x720 res? Surely you won't see all the picture?Stooopid question, but why didn't they just make the res 1920x1080?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry to potentially make things more complicated but the native resolution of the Pioneers (both 80XD and 8XD) is not 1368x720, or even 1280x720 but the rather odd 1024x768. For more information on the various sizes try the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

I believe that technically to be able to but HD Ready on it the screen needs to be able to display 720 vertical lines, as well as be able to accept 720p and 1080i as a minimum. Interestingly the Pioneer panels are not 16:9 ratio either as this give the oft quoted 1280x720...

Where the Pioneer kicks is in the quality of images as resolution is rarely the most important factor in this.

There are tradeoffs in making panels all 1080 native, the main one being cost. Viewing distance has a major impact on resolution as the closer you are the more important a higher resolution is. There is also the fact that there are only very limited 1080p sources available. So for SD and even Sky HD (mostly 720p) there will have to be scaling of the image to fit. The more scaling the higher likelihood of introducing imperfections into the picture, bear in mind that the total number of pixels in 1080p is about 4.5 times that in SD and about twice that in 720p. The sets have to fill in all these 'missing' pixels.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, i thought all SKY HD channels were broadcast in 1080 providing "one to one" pixel mapping ?

Axum

A

Anonymous

Afraid not, taken from Sky HD FAQ:

"Sky HD will support both HD formats: 720p and 1080i. Broadcasters and
programme-makers will choose which format is best for their programmes
and your Sky HD box will display the format that best works with your
TV."

I don't think we'll see any 1080p broadcasts for quite some time as this takes up twice the bandwidth of 1080i and 720p. The only 1080p sources at the moment (and likely in the near future in the UK) are HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts