New Sony OLED and Denon AMP setup

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I have just bought a new Sony BRAVIA KD55A85 55" OLED . Is it worth changing my amp for a 4k amp like the Denon 3700, will i notice much difference in a 5.1 setup?

I mainly just watch SKYQ and Netflix

My current setup is the following

Sony BRAVIA KD55A85 55" OLED
Denon AVR-2310
B&W MT30 5.1 setup
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray
SKYQ UHD Box

Since getting the new TV I have connected it directly from the EARC to the SKYQ box and an optical from the SKYQ box to my amp.

Would the Denon 3700 be better at upscaling no HD or non 4K than the TV itself, would the sound be any better getting the new amp and connecting everything through using only HDMI cables?

Any help is appreciated

Your Denon is quite old but I think it supports CEC (and thereby should support ARC). Connect your Sky Q to the Denon and the Denon to your TV's ARC HDMI. You won't need the optical cable and you'll get HD audio if this works. Otherwise, it's best to upgrade your AV receiver for HD audio.

The TV will be the best upscaler for video.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Your Denon is quite old but I think it supports CEC (and thereby should support ARC). Connect your Sky Q to the Denon and the Denon to your TV's ARC HDMI. You won't need the optical cable and you'll get HD audio if this works. Otherwise, it's best to upgrade your AV receiver for HD audio.

The TV will be the best upscaler for video.
Hi Big Boss, the reason I connected my new TV directly to the SKYQ was so that I could watch UHD channels, I presume that connecting it direct to the amp I will no longer be able to watch them?

Tonestar1

That amp won't pass 4k unfortunately so HDMI via tv and sound via optical is your only choice to get UHD pic from Sky Q at the moment. There might be uplift in SQ if you get a new amp as you will be able to take advantage of latest features and better room eq software. Best way to test would be to buy one online or from somewhere with a 30 satisfaction guarantee to do a comparison then return if you aren't impressed.

Hi Big Boss, the reason I connected my new TV directly to the SKYQ was so that I could watch UHD channels, I presume that connecting it direct to the amp I will no longer be able to watch them?
In that case, try Sky Q to TV via HDMI and then HDMI ARC from TV to amp. No need to use ARC port to Sky Q. Make sure you change sound settings on TV to ARC / external speakers. If the amp accepts ARC, this should work without the need for optical cable.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
That amp won't pass 4k unfortunately so HDMI via tv and sound via optical is your only choice to get UHD pic from Sky Q at the moment. There might be uplift in SQ if you get a new amp as you will be able to take advantage of latest features and better room eq software. Best way to test would be to buy one online or from somewhere with a 30 satisfaction guarantee to do a comparison then return if you aren't impressed.
Ok cheers, I will look at getting the 3700 to test

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
In that case, try Sky Q to TV via HDMI and then HDMI ARC from TV to amp. No need to use ARC port to Sky Q. Make sure you change sound settings on TV to ARC / external speakers. If the amp accepts ARC, this should work without the need for optical cable.
Ok cheers Big Boss I will give that a go

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts