Pioneer LX81 now been away for repair for three Months!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a Pioneer SC-LX81 last year which had a fault where the sound will drop out intermittently when a device is connected via HDMI. It also had a flickering front panel display which was also faulty from purchase.
I took it back to the shop, who took it for repair. They had it for over eight weeks and when it came back, the sound fault was still there. They replaced the display but I could still see the display flicker dimly when in darkness(and the display set to Off). The repairer also scratched the casing, which the shop did actually replace for me. It is now back with them again and has been for another four weeks now. When I phoned them last week they told me the repairers are waiting for a part from Pioneer but 'didn't ask' what part this is, nor could they tell me how much longer it would take. The shop said they are not happy with the repairers but Pioneer will not let another repairer look at it but that someone from Pioneer was going to 'oversee' the repair. It is now past the guarantee period(expired 8 Jan 2010) even though it was well within when I first returned it.

I think I have been patient and understanding for longer than enough and I would now like a replacement, although this model has now been superseded with the LX82 and the new model is more money. Am i entitled to a replacement and if so should I get the newer model? From what I can gather, if something is not satisfactorily repaired within a reasonable time, usually construed to be 28 days, that I am entitled to replacement or refund. I'm nervous as to how best to go about asking for this. The manager of the shop frankly is not very approachable and seems to take a demeaning attitude to my previous complaints, talking me down and generally having a dismissive attitude. I paid £1300 for the receiver, from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Exeter.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
As it was faulty beginning I think you are entitled to a refund. The amp clearly wasn't fit for purpose.

Don't take any more nonsense from trhe retailer, demand your money back, if they wont refund you, take them to the small claims court. It is very easy. Claim under the Sale of Goods Act

A

Anonymous

chudleighpaul:

As it was faulty beginning I think you are entitled to a refund. The amp clearly wasn't fit for purpose.

Don't take any more nonsense from trhe retailer, demand your money back, if they wont refund you, take them to the small claims court. It is very easy. Claim under the Sale of Goods Act

110% agree totally unacceptable

I imagine still under guarantee so quote the Sale of goods act , not fit for purpose either replace or refund

A

Anonymous

Well, I finally have an update. Last week I phoned them back again asking what was happening. The manager phoned Pioneer, and the repairers. Pioneer told him that the repairers are not waiting for any parts like they told us previously but that they had found the problem and it only needs some components which they already have! He could not get hold of the repairers but asked if I could be patient for just a couple more days. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and said I'd give them that time, but after sleeping on it I decided this really wasn't good enough and that I wouldn't trust any repairs that were claimed to have been made anyway. So I phoned back Sevenoaks and told them I was not going to accept a repair, only a refund or replacement. They spoke to Pioneer yesterday and phoned me back today saying I could either have the LX72 or the LX82, but that I have to pay the difference between what I paid and the current LX82 price, which I think is £100. I complained that if they were replacing it, and for all the headaches I've had with it, that I shouldn't have to pay any more.

The manager said he was going to dig out my receipt to see what I paid and phone me back. To my mind, Sevenoaks should be paying any difference. I know the LX82 used to be £1900, but that's not really the point, is it. They will be getting a refund of whatever they paid Pioneer for it, but that would still have left them with some profit. Surely an extra £100 is minor to them compared with having a disgruntled customer who has been without his receiver for over three months. Give me the 82 and i will be pretty happy and probably go back to Sevenoaks again. If I have to fork out extra, I don't think I will be shopping there again, and I have spent a small fortune with them in the past!

A

Anonymous

Finally! A satisfactory result from Sevenoaks in the end. They delivered my brand new LX82 last night! A result in the end but quite right too, considering all the hasstle I've had.

Just about managed to get everything back and connected but not had chance to try it out properly yet.Over the 81, the MCACC interface is a bit slicker now and gives you pretty graphs of standing waves etc. There is also an 'upscale' indicator on the front panel, which I presume is upsampling the audio, which wasn't a feature of the 81. That's about all the difference I've noticed at the moment apart obviously from the additional HDMI on the front. I will be having a proper play in the next few days so I'll post my findings then.

D

Deleted member 2457

Glad to hear you have sorted it out
emotion-21.gif
and don't forget to update your signature.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts