Pioneer BDP-LX55

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Yup. We have had them for a while - very good they are too. Nice to see Pioneer improving the build quality over last years model. The 55 is a good solid unit and should be the pick of the bunch at the pricepoint - not that there is much competition! Looks the business as a partner to the SC-LX85 and soundwise the combination is exceptionally strong in all formats with CD having a nice lift over last years pairing.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick,would you still be at the same conclusion,regarding the BDP LX55?I am seriously interested in one,providing they are a good player.Thanks in advance,J.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been waiting for some positive feedback on the pioneer bdp lx55 , However on another av forum there seems to be playback picture issues or sync problems with the latest blu ray films . Nick have you had any issue with blu ray disc or so. I was hoping to purchase one before xmas . Also is the pioneer bdplx55 worth the extra £175 over the panasonic bdt310 in terms of PQ&SQ. Sorry for all the questions but with little online reviews and no time for demo at moment. Thankyou

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
grifz said:
I have been waiting for some positive feedback on the pioneer bdp lx55 , However on another av forum there seems to be playback picture issues or sync problems with the latest blu ray films . Nick have you had any issue with blu ray disc or so. I was hoping to purchase one before xmas . Also is the pioneer bdplx55 worth the extra £175 over the panasonic bdt310 in terms of PQ&SQ. Sorry for all the questions but with little online reviews and no time for demo at moment. Thankyou

I picked up my LX55 on Saturday morning, spent 20 minutes setting it up then that evening watched 2 new Blu-ray releases, one was Rise of the Planet of the Apes and the other was Captain America, I had no problems in terms off picture issues or sync problems with either disc, all in all very pleased with it, great picture and sound, good build quality and very fast loading times.

hope this helps.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thankyou for your positive reply Keiser1. Hopefully i will pop into a local store this week and have a quick demo if they have a pioneer in stock.

clinton333

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
:wave: :wave: Just thought I'd add my lx55 has arrived and is really impressing me

So far... Great picture and sound(hdmi) and just enough menu possibilities to keep me happy...

Worked flawlessly with both 2D and 3D so far; old and new blu rays.

Remote is fine and relatively well layed out and the player seems to be built like a tank!

I have no use for CDs but will no doubt give it a chance with the analogue outputs later...

Picked mine up from RGB with 10% discount... Maybe it's still on? :wave:

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have had no issues with this player although we havent supplied enough yet to give this player the thumbs up for reliability. As for performance we remain very happy and run them through various televisions and projectors with no problems with the picture.

As for the performance versus the Pana 310 the Pioneer has the edge as a package. The build quality alone convinces me it is worth the step up and match to one of the current crop of Pioneer amplifiers I wouldnt even consider the Panasonic. As a stand alone machine I still prefer the Pioneer and the way it produces a picture.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Michael

SACD Dark side of the Moon sounds fantastic to the point i want more SACD but they not cheap.

Lip sync issues zero so far.

Audio drop outs nothing out of the ordinary i.e starting or switching source material/ sound mode.

noisy transport no

as stated in another thread had two disc not play Planet Terror uk / Death Proof USA (multiregion disc) sent to pioneer who have sent back to say yes problem with these discs sent info needed to the engineers in Japan who will look to fix in update.

I believe there may be some type of network issues that need a fix however i don't really use it for this so can't comment on it.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thankyou again for your positive replys towards the pioneer. Well i took the plunge and got myself a pioneer lx-55 for £310 with a bit of price matching(beating). I have put transformers 3 on with no issues although i have only skipped through chapters. I will have to spend a few evenings to tinker through menus- setting -sync. Pleasure and Pain

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
grifz said:
Thankyou again for your positive replys towards the pioneer. Well i took the plunge and got myself a pioneer lx-55 for £310 with a bit of price matching(beating). I have put transformers 3 on with no issues although i have only skipped through chapters. I will have to spend a few evenings to tinker through menus- setting -sync. Pleasure and Pain

Settings are very easy to navigate, if you select function while playing a disc you can navigate through detailed picture settings etc.

Enjoy.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
A little help again please. I set the audio out to BITSTREAM on the blu ray player ,however when i restart turn off and then back on it reverts back to PCM. The setting will not stay on Bitstream , I have pioneer bdplx 55 conected to a pioneer lx72 av receiver. THankyou

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes i have noticed this happening as well with various settings , what i found is change the setting to what you want when you first power on then watch something..... power off.... then when you power on again the setting you set is now the one it's on.

Weird but once your settings are how you want them not an issue.

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
grifz said:
A little help again please. I set the audio out to BITSTREAM on the blu ray player ,however when i restart turn off and then back on it reverts back to PCM. The setting will not stay on Bitstream , I have pioneer bdplx 55 conected to a pioneer lx72 av receiver. THankyou

Are you adjusting the settings in the Home Menu or while a disc is playing, adjusting the setting via the Function button?

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Keiser, I have managed it now, it seems i have to choose Bitstream through the home menu then switch the player off and restart to save my choice of settings

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Had my pioneer bdp-lx55 since christmas week, Problems still presist are -

1. freezing of the BDP ,the only way to get back ON is to unplug at mains.

2. PQLS switches off with a drop in sound after 2mins when playing cds.

3. slight lip-sync. voice sound is heard before picture

4. Display only displays timer with no setting to save change E.G Disc track or chapter

5. Personal preference - to much picture grain at times

On the plus and the reason i want to keep the BDP is v.good picture and detail, superb SQ on movies and especially with cds in stereo with PQLS on (when it works).

Why have pioneer not given WHFI-team a review player? It seems the American version the Pioneer BDP 53FD also has the same faults. I have contacted pioneer about these problems with no reply. I want to keep the player in hope a firmware comes out. however considering others have returned the player for a new one with the same results(faults) i feel i have no choice but get my money back. Anyone else with or without these problems please.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
grifz said:
Had my pioneer bdp-lx55 since christmas week, Problems still presist are -

1. freezing of the BDP ,the only way to get back ON is to unplug at mains.

2. PQLS switches off with a drop in sound after 2mins when playing cds.

3. slight lip-sync. voice sound is heard before picture

4. Display only displays timer with no setting to save change E.G Disc track or chapter

5. Personal preference - to much picture grain at time

/quote]

its interesting that you mention all these - all are the same as the lX54 when new.

I was thinking there is a lot of grain in certain films - Inception for one I watched it yesterday

I was thinking maybe the LX55 with the QDEO would be better for as its supposed to be - obviously its just in the original

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
5. Personal preference - to much picture grain at time

/quote]

I was thinking there is a lot of grain in certain films - Inception for one I watched it yesterday

This is one area i found the LX55 to be better than my old 51fd.

Black swan was really grainy on the 51 but not on the lx55

Just checking Inception not come across anything noticably grainy. Is there a particular scene were it shows ?

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Part of the update was picture quality. Is it just me , But the picture quality really does look more vibrant and cleaner. Less picture noise (grain). More testing later.

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The problems I had with PQLS jitter and sound drop out has stopped which is good news! Picture quality looks fantastic though, I've not had this long enough to be able to say how much it has improved from previous firmware.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I am currently using a Pioneer BDP-LX52 which i am very happy with, but I am interested in trying the LX55

I was just wondering if anyone could say how much (if any) improvement there is over the LX52 in PQ and SQ ?

Anyone have any thoughts ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts