Pioneer BDP-320 Firmware Updates To Solve Pulp Fiction Blu Ray Problem?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi all

Just bought Pulp Fiction on Blu Ray and it will not load on my Pioneer BDP-320 or my bedroom Sony

I'm hoping that a firmware update might solve this problem, but, the Pioneer was made multi-region for DVD by Sevenoaks, and I'm worried that any firmware updates might remove this multi-region capability.

Also, because of my reluctance to update the firmware, I seem to have missed 4 firmware updates, 3 of which now seem unavailable.

So questions are:

1. Will the firmware updates solve the Pulp Fiction playback problem?

2. Will the firmware updates remove my multi-region capability?

3. Can I still dowload ver.3.69a / ver.3.70 / ver.3.71 firmware updates from somewhere?

Also, as I mentioned, the PF Blu-Ray won't play on my Sony BDP-S360, so would firmware updates solve this too?

My priority is the Pioneer, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm also well out of date on the firmware updates for the Sony, so any help getting the older updates would be appreciated too.

My player has 006, Sony website has 011.

Thanks

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I've always thought that these "latest" updates include previous ones, so if you do an update now it should include everything.

On my Sony the update file always seems to be about the same size everytime so I assume it overwrites everything everytime.

My player hasn't lost it's multiregion capability despite 3-4 updates. Of course, that's no guarantee in your case. But again, if you don't update, you won't be able to play some newer discs.

You can always contact Sevenoaks again to make it multiregion for you. They're usually very good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thank you both for your help.

I haven't been brave enough to try updating the Pioneer yet, but have tried the Sony and I get VUP NG message on the front screen a few minutes into the update. I understand this is some kind of error message, but as I've now tried two update discs, I'm a bit reluctant to keep trying.

I read on a forum that Sony will send an update disc if you request one, so I think I'll try that, and maybe ring Pioneer too.

Thanks again for your help

nads

i dont understand why people dont use the internet connection for the updates. even if you have to run a long cable for the time it takes.

never had an issue with any discs not playing.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Seems like the best way to do it, but I've only got a short ethernet cable, which would mean disconnecting the blu ray player from the tv/amp. Would this still be ok?

Or would you advise getting a long enough ethernet cable to reach both blu ray players without disconnecting from the tv/amp?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Seems like the best way to do it, but I've only got a short ethernet cable, which would mean disconnecting the blu ray player from the tv/amp. Would this still be ok?

Or would you advise getting a long enough ethernet cable to reach both blu ray players without disconnecting from the tv/amp?

I have always updated via the internet/ethernet cable and never yet had a problem. Think my cable is about 5 metres long which I have buried under the carpet out of the way. You can also get sockets to connect two or more cables together.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've sorted the Sony, ethernet is definitely the best, and easiest way, so thanks for the advice.

Pulp Fuction now plays, though it's still quite slow loading.

Will try the Pioneer once the wife has stopped watching X Factor, fingers crossed all will go well

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

All working for the Pioneer, multi region is still working, but PF Blu Ray froze 40 seconds in (could have been worse), so it will be going on a journey back to the Amazon.

Tried Terminator 2 Skynet on the Pioneer, which is notoriously slow, and whilst still slow, was quicker than before.

Good result, so thanks to all.......

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bigboss said:
Just for the purpose of firmware update, I would buy a long cheap Ethernet cable from eBay or Amazon. You can disconnect it after the update & put it away when not in use.

Was too impatient to wait, so managed to get a 10 metre Hyundai cable from Poundstretcher for £5.99.

Is there anything Hyundai don't make?

Maplins, Currys, PC World etc wanted silly money.

Worked well, so happy. Thanks

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have made the updates to my oppo via USB pen, having downloaded to my PC and validated the content. There is always the possibility that the network might fail during the download ( mine drops out about once a week) and although the player should survive this, I see no benefit in taking the risk. A friend of mine had a laptop bcome catatonic when his company IT department try to update the software remotely and the network dropped out.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bigboss said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Is it the same Hyundai who makes cars? Or just another company with a similar name?

It says on the packaging Licensed by Hyundai Corporation Korea, so pretty sure it's the same company.

They make all kinds of electrical items, cookers, microwaves, electric fires and heaters, power tools etc.

I suppose Yamaha makes motorbikes and av gear, which is a weird combination, so sometimes it's good to diversify.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
bigboss said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Is it the same Hyundai who makes cars? Or just another company with a similar name?

It says on the packaging Licensed by Hyundai Corporation Korea, so pretty sure it's the same company.

They make all kinds of electrical items, cookers, microwaves, electric fires and heaters, power tools etc.

Hyundai pretty much make everything, including (I believe), the cargo ships their products are shipped on, the cranes that load the cargo ships, the towns that the workers live in, the schools their children go to... so in answer to your question

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'd say, no, probably not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts