Suitable Blu Ray Player to partner Panasonic TH-37PX80B....Judder free... Pioneer LX52?

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I own the panasonic TH-37PX80B plasma which although not full HD accepts native 24fps and is 100hz. I had a sony bdp 360 which ran with it fine until I gave it to my parents. I borrowed a panasonic BD65 and the sound was vastly improved over the sony and I'm happy with that aspect of the player - I run it through 2 channel hi-fi though. However on panning shots the judder is appalling. I didn't notice this at all on the sony 360 with the same PX80B TV.

Can anyone please recommend a blu ray player that will partner the PX80 and;

1) Be judder free

2) Sound good through a 2 channel set up?

I was considering the Pioneer LX52 as they are £250 and my 10 year old Pioneer DVD player was, and still is, fantastic. However having read a thread about a pioneer player (320) not partnering with a panasonic plasma and causing judder etc I was concerned. Also will the audio of the LX52 be ok through 2 channel?

Many thanks for your help.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I owned a Panasonic DMP-BD80 BD player which has recently stopped working. On my 720p PJ it too showed judder, this was improved by manually setting 'Film' in the picture setting of the 'Picture' section of 'Display' on the remote.

Recently purchased a Sony BDP-S370 and this has massively improved my projector viewing. The extra grain and Panny motion concerns are massively improved. Recommend you use the shortest HDMI cable you can though, and try a couple of different ones if you have them as i have seen large differences in motion control with HDMI leads.

24p can cause some panning shot issues in itself, as can downscaling images to 720p ( always found sending 1080p from player best) but as in my case all can be improved. I paid ???90 for Sony player and cannot see any reason why it would need upgrading in the future.

May'be look at a Marantz if you want for Hi-Fi needs too. But much more expensive, you may as well get a new tv.

Oh' and recalibrate with THX disc, over edged colours, excessive sharpness and excessive contrast can all contribute to motion blur.

Bit wordy but hope it helps.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. If I had a home cinema set up and wasn't connecting the BDP to my hifi I would get the sony 370. The 360 did not have any judder issues - unfortunately it sounded pants through my 2 channel hifi. The Panosonic 65 sounds much better but as the picture does not work with my PX80B it's pointless.

I managed to borrow the Pioneer LX52 today - finally tracked one down. I am not using a large portion of its technology sound wise. However the picture is much more natural than either my old Sony 360 or the Panasonic 65. The sound is better quality than the panasonic but I found the 'dialogue enhancer' feature very useful on the panasonic for my 2 channel set up and dialogue is easier to hear than the pioneer. Motion handling is superior on the Pioneer. There is still a little judder but it is more like the sort you see at the cinema - which as you mentioned is a result of technology used to film i.e. 24ps.

I feel the real culprit here is my T.V. or new blu ray players depending on how you look at the issue. My TV handled the sony 360 fine and my friends identical TV has a sony play station that plays blu ray fine through it. Seems like the new gen of blu ray players has made my TV obsolete via poor motion handling. That's marketing for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts