No DTS sound through Pioneer BDP-150K Blu Ray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have a problem which is driving me crazy. I had a DVD player connected to my Yamaha Home Cinema and I got DTS sound with no problems (I had it connected with optical digital audio cable). Now, I have bought a Pioneer BDP-150K and since it doesn't have a digital audio output I had to connect it with HDMI. The problem is I don't get DTS sound (and I've tried to change may options from the set up menu from the Blu Ray Player). Can someone help me, please? Should I get DTS sound with HDMI or not? I tried to force DTS Sound changing inputs mode from the Yamaha Amplifier and I get the legend "DTS" in the AV but I get no sound.

Thanks in advance.

From what I can understand, DTS light is not lighting up on your amplifier. That's because your blu ray player is decoding audio. So you're still getting DTS without the light on the amplifier turning on. If you "bitstream" audio from your blu ray player to your amplifier, then the DTS light will come on.

A

Anonymous

Hello.

I tried to "bitstream" audio before posting here but I didnt get the "DTS" legend on the amplifier. I am worried because if I select "DTS Sound" in the amplifier, I get no sound, so I am not receiving DTS signal. I only receive sound when the amplifier is set to "Analog" instead of "DTS". Any idea?

Thanks.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok so obviously your amp will not support HD audio from the Pioneer BD player. Presumably if you are sending the audio via Optical-Out the player knows this & is set up for it. The player settings if they are similar to my old Pioneer BDP320 may have the option to downmix it to the lower DTS in the home menu.

The Audio can also be down to the Blu-ray disc itself, sometimes you have to go in to the discs audio settings & tell it to output the right audio.

Regards ...

A

Anonymous

Mmm yes, you are right. I must have connected something wrong. I think I connected the HDMI between the TV and the Blu Ray Player and it should be between the Blu Ray and the Yamaha A!V... (and the Amp doesnt have HDMI connection so I will have to use another connection type) I will review the connections.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hello.

I'll have to buy a Digital Coaxial Audio cable and with that cable I'll be able to have DTS sound.

Thank you to everybody!

A

Anonymous

Hello.

I finally managed to solve (partially) the problem. I used a coaxial sound cable and I finally got DTS / Dolby Digital / etc sound :) The cable is a typical Red - White - Yellow cable and I only use one of the three extremes (I have it plugged into the "Digital Audio Coaxial" sound of the AV Amp). I've noticed that I don't get 6.1 sound; I only get 5.1 sound. What would be the best solution so I could get 6.1 sound? Can I get 6.1 with my current amplifier and Blu-Ray? The main problem is that the Blu-Ray doesn't have an Optical output and the AV Amp doesn't have HDMIs inputs. I have read something about plugging into the AV Amplifier 6 analog cables but I don't see where I should plug them to the Blu-Ray.

Thanks!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ListoMefisto said:
I used a coaxial sound cable and I finally got DTS / Dolby Digital / etc sound The cable is a typical Red - White - Yellow cable

That is NOT a digital coaxial cable! it's a standard composite video and stereo RCA cable. It may work but isn't designed for what you're using it for.

I've noticed that I don't get 6.1 sound; I only get 5.1 sound. What would be the best solution so I could get 6.1 sound? Can I get 6.1 with my current amplifier and Blu-Ray?

Does the film you're watching have a 6.1 soundtrack? Did you get 6.1 audio before, does your amp even have 6 channels of amplification (I can't be bothered to check).

The main problem is that the Blu-Ray doesn't have an Optical output and the AV Amp doesn't have HDMIs inputs. I have read something about plugging into the AV Amplifier 6 analog cables but I don't see where I should plug them to the Blu-Ray.

That blu-ray player doesn't have the required analogue outputs, take it back and either buy one with an optical output or with the 6/8 channel analogue outputs (that'll be significantly more expensive though).

A

Anonymous

Can you put a picture or, if posible, a link to a digital coaxial cable? All the shops I visited couldnt help me except one where they told me to use the RCA.

Yes, the film has 6.1 soundtrack and I managed to get 6.1 soundtrack with my old DVD player, using its optical output. And yes, my amp has 6 channels of amplification but the rear center speaker cant be activated now with the blu ray player (my old DVD player activated It using the optical output).

Should I use a coaxial to optical cable? i tried to find one but the shops I visited show me a wrong cable because the supposed coaxial part couldnt fit in the blu ray player. It had a rare end part, like a kind of romb, and It didnt fit at all.

Thanks.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
In the four years that I've been interested in home cinema I don't remember hearing the model number of your Yamaha amplifier quoted anywhere, so I guess it's more than four years old. No surprise then that it can't decode HD audio.

A digital coaxial cable looks like this one, from Richer Sounds

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-interconnects/cambridge-audio/dig300-1m/camb-dig300-1m

I have one of these in each of my rooms. I'm assuming that your Blu-Ray player does have a coaxial digital output connection and that your amplfier does have a coaxial digital input connection? Otherwise, the cable above won't work in your system.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
By the way, I'm curious about the (DVD I notice, not Blu-Ray) disc that has the 6.1 soundtrack. Can you tell us which actual disc it is? Does it say 6.1 surround sound on the DVD cover? I ask because I didn't know that DVDs (not Blu-Rays) had 6.1 sound, but I'm very willing to be educated. I get essentially 6.1 sound, using a single surround back channel, in my ktichen and bedroom, because I've set my Yamaha receivers to the ES/EX option in the sound menu, whereby they generate a single surround back channel from a 5.1 soundtrack, or convert a 7.1 soundtrack down to 6.1. But I didn't know that discs were actually made in 6.1. I thought that discs were either 5.1 or 7.1, but do put me right.

A

Anonymous

Yes, my Yamaha Amp is more than 4 years old, but I am very happy with it. It has great sound and the speakers are made of wooden (people say that wooden speakers sound great and I got excellent sound with my previous DVD player, so I should get excellent sound with my Blu Ray too).

Yes, my Blu-Ray player has a coaxial digital output connection and the amplfier has a coaxial digital input connection. I will try to find that cable. Thanks for the picture and the information. Will I get 6.1 soundtrack with that cable? I read something about only getting 5.1 soundtrack with Optical or Coaxial Audio cables.

The disc with "6.1 soundtrack" is Star Wars episode III. You are right, that disc used ES/EX option with my DVD player but it used the 6 speakers (Left, Center, Right, Rear Left, Rear Center and Rear Right and subwoofer). I didnt manage to explain the situation correctly. I also tried Hulk (Blu-Ray) which uses a 6.1 soundtrack but I only got a 5.1 one in the Pioneer Blu Ray player.

Thank you very much for the information. I will try to find the coaxial audio cable through eBay or similars.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ListoMefisto said:
Yes, my Yamaha Amp is more than 4 years old, but I am very happy with it. It has great sound and the speakers are made of wooden (people say that wooden speakers sound great and I got excellent sound with my previous DVD player, so I should get excellent sound with my Blu Ray too).

Nobody is suggesting that you replace something that you are happy with, but Speakers (wooden or otherwise) on an Amplifier?? Is this an all-in-one unit?

ListoMefisto said:
The disc with "6.1 soundtrack" is Star Wars episode III. You are right, that disc used ES/EX option with my DVD player but it used the 6 speakers (Left, Center, Right, Rear Left, Rear Center and Rear Right and subwoofer). I didnt manage to explain the situation correctly. I also tried Hulk (Blu-Ray

The disc cannot use any sound processing options in your system unless you tell it to. I presume that you (not the disc) chose the ES/EX option. You’ve not told me what the disc cover or label actually says the soundtrack is. Does the disc cover say 6.1?

ListoMefisto said:
Thank you very much for the information. I will try to find the coaxial audio cable through eBay or similars.
I’m assuming therefore that you are not on Britaian? If you are in Britain, get it from Richer Sounds, who have shops all over Britain. Now I must get on with my Christmas cooking.

A

Anonymous

I bought the Amplifier with the Home Theather Speakers. If you mean if it is all of one piece, no, it isnt. The speakers had to be connected.

Yes, I chose the ES/EX option. Star Wars Episode III DVD doesnt cover 6.1. It uses : Dolby Digital 5.1 EX: Spanish (I am from Spain).

No, I am not from Britain. I am from Spain. I will look for a coaxial digital audio cable like the Richer Sounds one :)

Christmas cooking, that sounds good :) By the way, Merry Christmas!

P.S. I would like to buy the Coaxial digital audio cable through eBay but there are some very cheap (Cable Audio Digital Coaxial SHR - 1,5m (RCA-M/M) - SHR type with double UL1394. RCA-Male gold connectors in both extremes : 2,95 euro) and some very expensive (QED Performance 2.0m DIGITAL Audio 75Ω Coaxial Custom Cable - 34,95 £). Would you go for the expensive one? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts