Pioneer 2011

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
johnjay said:
does the twin HDMI output on the BDP-LX55 mean we can bitstream HD audio to an AVR HDMI 1.3 & picture to the 3DTV?That would be great after spending £1000+ on an AVR 15mths ago....
Anybody?...

Yes, as far as I'm aware. I would certainly be buying one with that in mind.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
johnjay said:
johnjay said:
does the twin HDMI output on the BDP-LX55 mean we can bitstream HD audio to an AVR HDMI 1.3 & picture to the 3DTV?That would be great after spending £1000+ on an AVR 15mths ago....
Anybody?...

I know this is off topic a bit,but its the closest & most recent post...Gel,you got a 46 hx803 right?How do you find the pioneer/sony bluray performance?Also,whats it like for a good action/adventure 3D movie?I just offed a 46 w5500 (best picture i ever had) for this TV in a bundle incl. 2 specs & transmitter.Apparently the 2D picture is best in class,as this is what we all watch most IMO,cable TV-Upscaled DVD & Bluray.So i would like a hands-on opinion,thanks. Cheers gel!

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
gel said:
johnjay said:
johnjay said:
Anybody?...

I know this is off topic a bit,but its the closest & most recent post...Gel,you got a 46 hx803 right?How do you find the pioneer/sony bluray performance?Also,whats it like for a good action/adventure 3D movie?I just offed a 46 w5500 (best picture i ever had) for this TV in a bundle incl. 2 specs & transmitter.Apparently the 2D picture is best in class,as this is what we all watch most IMO,cable TV-Upscaled DVD & Bluray.So i would like a hands-on opinion,thanks. Cheers gel!

Hi Johnjay

Yep, I certainly do, the Pioneer Blu-ray performance is quite a bit better to be honest, I've hardly watched a Blu-ray on the Sony since I've had it. I've not seen much of the 3D performance, I had a couple of demos in John Lewis and the Sony shop and to me it look really good. The 2D performance on the Sony is very good, and at the price it is at the moment in my opinion you really can't do better.

The tuner on the Sony is fantastic as well, and this Sony does have the black panel technology so blacks do look quite black. I mean if my stand could of took the weight of the 9th series, I would have liked that, but the price was double what I ended up paying, and to me that didn't make much finanical sense either. Also I did read a review the other day, and that said they didn't think the price gap warrant it as well.

The motion on the Sony is great, and watching tennis and football is fantastic.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
johnjay said:
gel said:
johnjay said:
johnjay said:
Anybody?...

Hi Johnjay

Yep, I certainly do, the Pioneer Blu-ray performance is quite a bit better to be honest, I've hardly watched a Blu-ray on the Sony since I've had it. I've not seen much of the 3D performance, I had a couple of demos in John Lewis and the Sony shop and to me it look really good. The 2D performance on the Sony is very good, and at the price it is at the moment in my opinion you really can't do better.

The tuner on the Sony is fantastic as well, and this Sony does have the black panel technology so blacks do look quite black. I mean if my stand could of took the weight of the 9th series, I would have liked that, but the price was double what I ended up paying, and to me that didn't make much finanical sense either. Also I did read a review the other day, and that said they didn't think the price gap warrant it as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Thanks man...Its probably the way i phrased the question.To put it another way:Would you reckon IYO,there is a performance improvement from a LCD backlit TV compared to the LED lit hx803 using your pioneer BD player?As ive said i had the 46w5500 (&w4500!) & the contrast esp. with the likes of Avatar BD,really was excellent,& also the detail.Im not looking for a drastic improvement,but with the dynamic edge lit screen instead of a ccfl backlight,i am hoping for a difference.I seen the 40" version at a local elec. store and the picture just looked more dynamic,with more realistic colour,even though it was probably shop-set.But they didn't change to LED backlights for nothing & its there to be seen on most TVs.Just getting it right for myself is the trick.Thanks gel for your input,& if you have any more regarding this post....much appreciated.JJ

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
gel said:
johnjay said:
gel said:
johnjay said:
johnjay said:
Anybody?...

Hi Johnjay

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Thanks man...Its probably the way i phrased the question.To put it another way:Would you reckon IYO,there is a performance improvement from a LCD backlit TV compared to the LED lit hx803 using your pioneer BD player?As ive said i had the 46w5500 (&w4500!) & the contrast esp. with the likes of Avatar BD,really was excellent,& also the detail.Im not looking for a drastic improvement,but with the dynamic edge lit screen instead of a ccfl backlight,i am hoping for a difference.I seen the 40" version at a local elec. store and the picture just looked more dynamic,with more realistic colour,even though it was probably shop-set.But they didn't change to LED backlights for nothing & its there to be seen on most TVs.Just getting it right for myself is the trick.Thanks gel for your input,& if you have any more regarding this post....much appreciated.JJ

Hi Johnjay

I really don't know to be honest without seeing the two, the best thing you could do would be to demo and then demo again, comparing the Blu-ray picture you've got, with the one at the shop. I take my own Blu-rays with me, and ask can I have demo with them, that way you a more likely to see if there is much of a difference.

You could always start a new thread asking the WHF team and the members what they think, especially with the technology question, other than that I would just demo. The new Sony Blu-ray players are really good too, so should give you a good marker.

Cheers

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks gel for your time & effort.I went into a local sony ctr to have a look at the TV in the flesh.It was in a demo-room with about 5 other TVs up to 60"s.The internet pictures dont do the HX803 any justice.Its a classic design,with an overall smaller bezel (as u know)but the thin black gloss frame sits nicely atop the lightly brushed bottom of frame.Minumal but a fairly nice looker that holds its own even against the newer 720/820 models.The 60" 903 looked amazing in 3D.I think the bigger the better as far as 3D goes...It,the 46hx803 was in some sort of demo/shop mode,but not eyeball searing mode.The dynamic edge-led clearly has a more natural & vibrant look to its picture.The demo was flashing different features without any clouding,there was a little bit of tiny bright patches in 3D,but you would really have to be looking for it but doesn't affect normal 3D viewing pleasure IMO.About the 40" in this dept. & WHFs review,id say go look for yourself as i didn't look at this model.I suppose the Sony tv/Pioneer bdp match should be on par as a Sony brand match as the BDP-LX52 retained 5stars throughout.But i must say the BDP-LX55 seems like a way out for people like myself without an HDMI 1.4v AVR.If i can get a good 3D picture with the likes of DTS-HDMA il be a happy man!But the hx803 as a regular 2D TV looks absolutely beautiful & this is where it counts most IMO.The sales asst. said Sony were going to discontinue the 803 but when they started the bundle deals it just "took off in sales" in his words,but then again he never heard of a Sony lcd TV with backlight clouding which told me to take what he said with a pinch of salt as they say.Anyway for now it seems like a good deal for anybody looking for an affordable LED/3D TV.Thanks again gel.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The US equivalent 85 info avaliable...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-57

Product sheet equivalent 75 + 85 (55/57)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-57_Single%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-55_Single%20Sheet.pdf

Ref new Pioneer BDP's came across these couple of quote's apparently from

Chris Walker Director of Product Planning Pioneer Electronics (US)

First one.....

"I think you will be very pleased with the sound quality of the new Amps. Our resident speaker guru (Andrew Jones) was very pleased. We even have the SC-55 connected to a pair of TAD Reference ones ($70,000 a pair) that we will be listening to tomorrow.

As far as a matching Blu-ray player we have those coming as well (The are very nice, and for your reference I use an OPPO BDP-93 right now, but will soon be replacing it with our new high end model). "

Second one....

"All of the new BD players are our own. No sharp involvement at all...

Lots of features people were asking for...... "

From an SC55/57 forum thread.

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
Thanks gel for your time & effort.I went into a local sony ctr to have a look at the TV in the flesh.It was in a demo-room with about 5 other TVs up to 60"s.The internet pictures dont do the HX803 any justice.Its a classic design,with an overall smaller bezel (as u know)but the thin black gloss frame sits nicely atop the lightly brushed bottom of frame.Minumal but a fairly nice looker that holds its own even against the newer 720/820 models.The 60" 903 looked amazing in 3D.I think the bigger the better as far as 3D goes...It,the 46hx803 was in some sort of demo/shop mode,but not eyeball searing mode.The dynamic edge-led clearly has a more natural & vibrant look to its picture.The demo was flashing different features without any clouding,there was a little bit of tiny bright patches in 3D,but you would really have to be looking for it but doesn't affect normal 3D viewing pleasure IMO.About the 40" in this dept. & WHFs review,id say go look for yourself as i didn't look at this model.I suppose the Sony tv/Pioneer bdp match should be on par as a Sony brand match as the BDP-LX52 retained 5stars throughout.But i must say the BDP-LX55 seems like a way out for people like myself without an HDMI 1.4v AVR.If i can get a good 3D picture with the likes of DTS-HDMA il be a happy man!But the hx803 as a regular 2D TV looks absolutely beautiful & this is where it counts most IMO.The sales asst. said Sony were going to discontinue the 803 but when they started the bundle deals it just "took off in sales" in his words,but then again he never heard of a Sony lcd TV with backlight clouding which told me to take what he said with a pinch of salt as they say.Anyway for now it seems like a good deal for anybody looking for an affordable LED/3D TV.Thanks again gel.

Hi

No probs, I don't have a 1.4 amp either just 1.3a but the Pioneer BDP-LX55 should have two HDMI, one for the picture and one for the sound. So it will be compatible for 3D I believe, so you will be okay at least that is my understanding. Yeah, I definitely think I got it right when I bought my Sony TV - a very solid 2D performer.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

v1c said:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-57_Single%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SC-55_Single%20Sheet.pdf

First one.....

"I think you will be very pleased with the sound quality of the new Amps. Our resident speaker guru (Andrew Jones) was very pleased. We even have the SC-55 connected to a pair of TAD Reference ones ($70,000 a pair) that we will be listening to tomorrow.

As far as a matching Blu-ray player we have those coming as well (The are very nice, and for your reference I use an OPPO BDP-93 right now, but will soon be replacing it with our new high end model). "

Second one....

Good work :) I did notice a few shops take away the details and spec of the Pioneer BDP-LX55 about a week back, so I emailed one of them and the reason was Pioneer Japan wants it to be a secret. :shhh:

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi gel.Yea i got the 46hx803 just before last week,and im very happy with it.No clouding like the 40" review unit had 3D or not.There is minor,& i mean you would only barely notice it in a dark room,flashlighting.But nothing to rear up about & i think this is par for the course with edge-lit sets.But its everything & more than i expected IMO.It has about the same contrast as my previous W5500,which was great in that dept.The SD picture is always gonna be only as good as the source,but upscaled DVDs look really nice,with great edge definition & detail,then Bluray....WOW.I was overwhelmed with the 2D bluray picture,absolutely stunning,especially when calibrated.I wasn't really worried about the 3D aspect but at first i had a look at a couple of demos on the PS3 incl:Bolt-Avatar-Grand canyon-deep sea & g-force etc. all impressed esp. avatar & were in side by side mode.But then i said to myself stuff it,il go & get a proper bluray 3D movie,oddly the only 1 my local xtravision had was Saw3D,I only watched the first 15 mins or so because il watch the previous ones again (as bad as 1 or 2 of them are),then il catch the 3D one.From what i seen this movie picturewise in 3D was really beautiful,colorful & detailed,while churning out great 3D effects also on the PS3(Can only imagine what they look like on the incoming BDP-LX55).Absolutely zero crosstalk,no patchy backlight but very minimal flickering as it was in daytime in a fairly bright room.Apart from a small delay in choosing inputs,stations & menus thats all that has bothered me about this tv.TBH i remember looking at an earlier post from yourself & i seen in your sig. you had an HX803 and i said to myself,lucky sod LOL.Thanks to your input and a few others i now have it myself.Owner forums can be helpful,the forum here is good as you dont get people posting about meaningless flaws.Anyway before i use up any more of this page i'l say Thank you as your help along with sonycentres was invaluable to me.Fair play Gel.:cheers:

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
v1c said:

First one.....

Second one....

Good work :) I did notice a few shops take away the details and spec of the Pioneer BDP-LX55 about a week back, so I emailed one of them and the reason was Pioneer Japan wants it to be a secret. :shhh:
If they take away the extra HDMI out,i'l be really disappointed.If they do im sticking to what i have and use PCM,until im in a position to get a new reciever.But it wouldn't surprise me if they're looking to sell more new AV recievers.These Co's IMO didn't really care when they introduced 3D as far as customers who bought DTS-HDMA & DolbyTrueHD equipped AVRs.Especially now as Bluray3D uses these formats,obviously.Last year people were paying a lot of money for a good AVR,but they now need a player like the LX55:pray: to avail of the best soundtracks.Its typical of these giants TBH.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@v1c,Thanks a lot for the info.But believe it or not i got a BNIB VSX-LX70 this time last year,end of july 2010.It was still holding a good price then,plus i saved a few hundred on it,so im not looking to offload it anytime soon if i can help it.So the BDP-LX55 looks to be a decent enough match,with the HD audio being split towards the AVR.Hopefully it will do the job,but thanks again for digging up this info
smiley-wink.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
Hi gel.Yea i got the 46hx803 just before last week,and im very happy with it.No clouding like the 40" review unit had 3D or not.There is minor,& i mean you would only barely notice it in a dark room,flashlighting.But nothing to rear up about & i think this is par for the course with edge-lit sets.But its everything & more than i expected IMO.It has about the same contrast as my previous W5500,which was great in that dept.The SD picture is always gonna be only as good as the source,but upscaled DVDs look really nice,with great edge definition & detail,then Bluray....WOW.I was overwhelmed with the 2D bluray picture,absolutely stunning,especially when calibrated.I wasn't really worried about the 3D aspect but at first i had a look at a couple of demos on the PS3 incl:Bolt-Avatar-Grand canyon-deep sea & g-force etc. all impressed esp. avatar & were in side by side mode.But then i said to myself stuff it,il go & get a proper bluray 3D movie,oddly the only 1 my local xtravision had was Saw3D,I only watched the first 15 mins or so because il watch the previous ones again (as bad as 1 or 2 of them are),then il catch the 3D one.From what i seen this movie picturewise in 3D was really beautiful,colorful & detailed,while churning out great 3D effects also on the PS3(Can only imagine what they look like on the incoming BDP-LX55).Absolutely zero crosstalk,no patchy backlight but very minimal flickering as it was in daytime in a fairly bright room.Apart from a small delay in choosing inputs,stations & menus thats all that has bothered me about this tv.TBH i remember looking at an earlier post from yourself & i seen in your sig. you had an HX803 and i said to myself,lucky sod LOL.Thanks to your input and a few others i now have it myself.Owner forums can be helpful,the forum here is good as you dont get people posting about meaningless flaws.Anyway before i use up any more of this page i'l say Thank you as your help along with sonycentres was invaluable to me.Fair play Gel.:cheers:

Hi Johnjay

No probs and congrats on your new TV - nice one. Yeah I'm still very happy with it and congrats on your Pioneer LX70 amp, that is a quality amp. Yeah I hope the Pioneer 55 Blu-ray player will be good as well.

Cheers

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
v1c said:

Hi

Just seen the BDP-LX55 on there too:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/8050

I would like to know how much this thing weighs.

Yes i'm just waiting for the official info realease. Shouldn't be to much longer i hope. Have high expectations for this so hope Pioneer deliver the goods on this one.
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

The SC-LX85 and SC-LX75 have been published on the dutch Pioneer site here. The specs look good for the LX85, if only they would set up a trade-in programme and I'd be really happy

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

Pioneer Elite BDP-53FD (LX55) referred to as "Flagship"

New Networked Media players NP-M30/50

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello gel,hows things? so can we assume the bdp-lx55 wil send DTS-MA & TRUEhd to an HDMI hd audio equipped AVR & the 3D picture to 3D tv,using the two HDMI outs? If anybody knows for sure,can they please elaborate? Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 2457

johnjay said:
Hello gel,hows things? so can we assume the bdp-lx55 wil send DTS-MA & TRUEhd to an HDMI hd audio equipped AVR & the 3D picture to 3D tv,using the two HDMI outs? If anybody knows for sure,can they please elaborate? Thanks in advance!

Hi Johnjay

Yeah good thanks, how about you? With the 3D and the audio this is pretty good at explaining it all:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/3d/connection/index.html

I saw a brief clip on the Pioneer BDP-LX55 from the show currently going on, and it looks quite well built (well as much as you can tell from the clip), I have a local shop where I can demo it when it comes out - so it should be interesting to see how good it is.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi Johnjay,

From the pioneer.eu website -news:

The BDP-LX55 features dual HDMI outputs for additional flexibility: the HDMI main out can be dedicated to video output to connect to a TV monitor or projector, while the HDMI sub out is optimised for audio output to connect to an audio component such as an AV receiver, in order to realise a superb video and audio experience.

NB: pioneer.eu posts product info in advance of uk version

michael hoy

v1c said:
EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

Looking at the picture Gel has posted it does not look "Flagship" to me.

No SACD only optical out no coax, I think Pioneer could do better unless they plan a higher spec model to match the Oppo or Denon 2012.

michael hoy

v1c said:

Looking at the picture Gel has posted it does not look "Flagship" to me.

No SACD only optical out no coax, I think Pioneer could do better unless they plan a higher spec model to match the Oppo or Denon 2012.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts