Pimp the Home Cinema System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System: Arcam DV35, Arcam AVR 280, KEF 2005.3

My system is for playing music and watching films. I have set up my system with the DVD and AVR in a walk in cupboard and the Speakers and TV in the adjacent sitting room.

1) This menas that I need a wireless and universal remote of some sort so I don't have to go to the cupboard.

2) I also want to get a PC or something equivilent so I can download and play music and films through that too. I also want something that you can flick through the albums / films on the remote and looks relatively cool.

Can you help me pimp my system?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You don't mention budget so:

1. Something like the Logitech Harmony 895 remote will do this for you - basically it uses an RF extender to allow you to control hidden AV kit. A bit on the pricey side (though can be found for a lot less than the quoted £230 price now) - there may be cheaper alternatives but you can't go far wrong with Logitech's all in one remotes (I have the 555 personally).

2. Well, I would think the ideal tool here is PC / Mac with iTunes and an iPod Touch or iPhone as the remote (using Apple's Remote app). You'll need a wireless network for this, but there are even further pimping options for this system (external DAC, Airport Express units for music in multiple room scenarios etc. etc.) which you might enjoy. You could also add an Apple TV to further enhance the experience.

Alternatively there is the new Sonos BU250 system as reviewed on page 14 of the new mag (more details here) or you could look at the new High End Entertainment Ultimate Guide which has a section on Digital Media Players including the gorgeous but ridiculously expensive Meridian Sooloos!

I have the Keene system to operate my equipments inside a cupboard by pointing my Harmony One remote to the TV.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-ir-distribution-amp-kit-(inc-irpmr)/IRBKITPB.html

The Harmony One remote is currently available from play.com for £69.95 when using the code: HARMONY42

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5890825/Logitech-Harmony-One-Advanced-Universal-Remote-Control/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0

Total cost: £65 + 70 = £135.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It is not a cheap option but a Philips Pronto with a Kaleidescape is excatly what you aksed for. The Kaleidescape will keep all your movies and music ready for ultra quick access and easy navigation. The Pronto will sync with the Kaleidescape so you can browse on the remote or the screen. It is very cool and works everytime.

A cheaper alternative is to use a Media PC - something like the I-US Technologies XPC - with a Nevo remote control.

Cutting the price again, Apple TV and a logitech remote is a good starting point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts