Philips Blu-Ray Players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently noticed that Philips have brought out two blu-ray players; the Philips BDP-3000 and the Philips BDP-7300

Does anyone know what the differences are between these two players and also if they are any good?

Also, while I'm on the subject of BD Players; Is the Panasonic BMP-BD80 better or worse than the new Sony BDP-S360?

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
hi andyb1984,

looking at the Philips website, the BDP-3000 doesn't have any multichannel analogue outputs, and it also doesn't look like it can handle DTS-HD Master Audio. Having said that, the Philips website isn't particularly clear.

We have a BDP-3000 here for testing so we'll let you know as soon as it's unboxed and up and running.

As for the Panasonic v Sony - we recently featured both players in a Supertest in our September issue. The five-star Sony knocked the 'BD80 down to 4-stars. We felt that the Sony sounded more exciting and that picture quality was smoother. The 'BD80 is still a very good player and it's worth bearing in mind that the machine also has a set of multichannel analogue outputs for owners of older home cinema receivers that can't decode high-definition audio formats.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
How would the Philips player you reviewed compare to the Sony 550?

please tell me its not better......my friend at work would crucify me!!
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

Ok great, thank you. Do you know how the philips and the sony compare against the new Pioneer BDP-120? Will you be carrying out a review of the Pioneer anytime soon?

Kind Regards

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I could be wrong here but was pretty sure I remember reading somewhere in all the hubbub over the Philips 21:9 tv that the forthcoming BDP-7300 was supposed to have a mode that when used with the television ensures that subtitles are re-formatted to ensure they never get cut off of the screen when viewing in 21:9.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
You are correct, that was mentioned in the WHF review of that TV

Though its probably Philips talking rubbish.....just so you waste over £4000 on a TV then buy their player if not given free with the TV

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I reckon that with the rise in popularity of 2.41:1 scope lens systems for projectors we should be seeing quite a few players hit the market with a subtitle re-formatting feature built into them. Everywhere you go to read about these scope projection systems, the subtitle cut-off seems to be a constant gripe and higher-end players must be looking to address this as a standard feature.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I agree

Though a TV with a aspect ratio sized like that has a long way yo come for the normal consumer to adapt to it or even just afford it.

I have seen it in the flesh, and its beautiful (hard for me to admit something positive towards Philips) but I would ratehr buy a projector for that price

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Garth Man:
I have seen it in the flesh, and its beautiful (hard for me to admit something positive towards Philips) but I would ratehr buy a projector for that price

Couldn't agree with you more.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Garth Man:
You are correct, that was mentioned in the WHF review of that TV

Nope - as it clearly says in our 21:9 review, it's the forthcoming Philips BDP-1900 that offers subtitle-shift. We haven't had it in for review yet, but i've heard there are a few in the market.

Garth Man:

Though its probably Philips talking rubbish.....just so you waste
over £4000 on a TV then buy their player if not given free with the TV

Bizarre it may be to release the TV before the Blu-ray player, but that's a dismissively harsh statement. Why have you such a downer on Philips?

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I have had bad experiences with their dvd/recorders etc, and TV's. Every thing I have bought of theres has broken. Maybe I have been unlucky

Even my local retailer and loads of other reatilers in Tottenham Court road advise not to buy their stuff, due to loads of costumer returns

A

Anonymous

Garth Man:

I have had bad experiences with their dvd/recorders etc, and TV's. Every thing I have bought of theres has broken. Maybe I have been unlucky

Even my local retailer and loads of other reatilers in Tottenham Court road advise not to buy their stuff, due to loads of costumer returns

Same here

I am from the netherlands, but i don't buy Philips anymore.

Everything broke very soon, exept lihgtbulbs and razors.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Clare Newsome:Why have you such a downer on Philips?

Frightened by a woman in large yellow wooden shoes as a child, perhaps...?

simonehoeve.jpg

" There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch." - Nigel Powers

ent_austinpowerscar13,0.jpg

A

Anonymous

So will you be testing the Pioneer BDP-120 any time soon? Would be interested to see how that fairs against the Sony.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our Pioneer BDP-120 Blu-ray player review should be in the next issue (the next we produce, that is, not the issue that will be with subscribers from this Friday - that's got the Pioneer BDP-LX52 review), as we've been promised one shortly. Will create a new thread when I get exact date details.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts