PHILIPS AMBILIGHT PATENT EXPIRY

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi...
It has been a while now since we saw the first Ambilight from Philips.
Does anyone know when their patent expires and all manufacturers can start using the technology?

I guess that will be the end of Philips, as their TV's have often been hit and miss and always too expensive.

Thanks

K

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I am only referring to the TV part of Philips.
Their TV arm is dwarfed by their other product operations, as is the profits its brings in.
Although while they still make profits I guess they will stay in the game.
But the ambilight is the only real unique selling point in a market full of competitors makingTV's with better or same quality images...and for much less money.
How many times have we read in the last 5 years in whathifi reviews "Nice TV, but far too expensive for what it is".
Without the ambilight, and without 30% price drops on all their TV's, they will probably dissapear into the background noise.
I also personally know 6 people who have bought Philips TVs in the last few years, and not one of them will do it again.

BUT I WAS MORE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT THE PATENT EXPIRY?
IDEAS ANYONE?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Just because the patent expires it doesn't mean they have to stop using ambilight. And I'm not convinced anyone else will worry about trying to develop a similar system, especially not in the current climate, research budgets will be stretched thinly enough as it is.

If anything kills Philips it'll be the economy, rather than any patent expiry. Philips have filed patents relating to Ambilight at least as late as 2007 and patents are valid for 20 years from the filing date in Europe (17 from date of *grant* in US I think), so I don't think it's something anyone needs to worry about for a while.

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi ...

Thanks, for the response.
If they have made filings in 2007 then, yes, it is theirs for a long time to come.
cheers

K

A

Anonymous

While it's an interesting idea, the Ambilight technology such as it is in my opinion a gimmick rather than a unique selling feature (might be wrong but aren't most people told to turn it off?), had it been so beneficial other manufacturers would have copied it in some way changing it so as not to infringe the patent or used it under license from Philips, things move on and I think they'll be better tech to optimize PQ rather than putting some lights at the back of a TV. As for Philips TV's being too expensive and hit and miss can't argue with you there, didn't they also have a TV last year that was advertised as Full HD but was actually HD Ready by converting the 1080p to 576 first, more of a problem I think.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I had two Philips in one year. Both written off due to failure of some sort. I loved the Amblight though.

Bounty

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
Not going to happen any time soon .
It's a technology designed only and especially by Philips itself.
So definitely not a gimmick.
They are proud of that.
There's a reason they have patent.
Might be 2027,but I certainly hopen not.
(Most likely not.)
If so, they think of something else more neat.
I read in the comments that the TV's are expensive... They are not. At leats not over here.
They are better than Samsung
If you bought two TV's in a year, either you're lying, or stupid. The first one should've been replaced. That's how it works. At least, over here.
My ambilight costed under 440 Eur..
And yes, sometimes you receive a 'blauwe Maandag' model, like I did, but like I said, they replace it for a new model and newer type.
As they did with mine.
Maybe I'm just baised, I live in the hometown of Philips.. Eindhoven de gekste! 🤣

Americans really underestimate Philips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts