admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
emotion-2.gif
Hello There,

First posting on 'WhatHifi' forum.

I've just read the review for the following product:

Philips 47PFL9664

Which has also been awarded '5 Stars', as also compared to it's younger sibling; the 'Philips 42PFL966'.

Now this might sound like a 'daft' question, so here it is!?

"But out of the 'two' which offers the 'best' black depth levels?"

As i've got around £1.5k - £2k to replace my 'ancient' 33" Mitsubishi Swivel Base CRT TV
emotion-8.gif

As the certain quote on the ' Philips 47PFL966' review:

'hit-and-miss DVD upscaling; dark scenes could be more explicit'

Has made me slightly apprehensive making this 'Set' a worthy purchase.

I've been doing my research extensively, as also comparing other reviews:

The Samsung UE46B8000 got a mixed review on 'another site', due to 'Auto Dimming' on Black Levels. Which can become very annoying etc.

I am also looking at the 'Sony 46" KDL-46X4500' ...but me thinks is becoming a little outdated now?

If anybody can give me some clarity towards my question, as also being open to any suggestions for alternatives for best LCD with best 'Black Levels' then please let me know.

Cheers

emotion-1.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I would not pay too much attention to black levels if I was you, I personally don't know what they are going on about?

I would just go for the best tv you think you can find.

A

Anonymous

Although those two Philips sets are both brilliant (especially the 42incher) if black levels are your absolute priority you should look at the Samsung 'B8000 and Sony 'W5500 or 'Z5500 (assuming you can find one with even backlighting).

Having said that, I wouldn't get bogged-down in one particular aspect of a TVs performance. Instead, I'd simply get the best all-rounder I could afford. At 42in that's the Philips 42PFL9664 (seriously - SO much more detailed than the competition), and at 46in it's the Samsung UE46B8000.

A

Anonymous

OP - sounds like you need to go and see the panels in action (make sure they are properly setup though!!!)

for me, after seeing both, the 47pfl9664 was a far better choice than the sammy b8000. for someone else, that might be different!

What left me somewhat amused was the Supertest. What a strange writeup regarding the 9664 (especially considering the writeup the 42" version got). I dont know where to begin to be honest, so I think I'll just leave it by saying "er, yeah... ok". I've actually gone back and read it a couple of times since, thinking that it would start to make sense to me - but nope.

Good luck with your purchase!

A

Anonymous

Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking the 'time' out from your schedule to answer in my posting.

I'm just curious, why do you put the Samsung 46" over the 47" Philips? Even though you kindly stated the 42" outdoes the competition. Does this also include it's bigger sibling, even though it's just packing a few more inches?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts