Want to pull WHF up on their review of the Sony VW520 PJ

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Interesting I always thought they were top quality. Very expensive over here for black Diamond

Seymour AV are worth a look but I have only seen their white at screens

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Checking out the review of the Panny UHD Blu Ray Player it was used for the VW520 PJ testing, they got to see the VW520 at its best or near it. I am looking forward to seeing that myself.

I have been working on my setup - calibrated then tweaked. This is my girst PJ so I knew I wouldnt get it bang on straight away.

I took these yesterday, I am trying to get the full screen in the shot from where I set which is why some are a bit wonky - bearing in mind this is 100" screen at about 7 feet

20160315_223353_zpsrsxkeerk.jpg

20160315_223510_zpsbcdjooia.jpg

20160315_223608_zpsijuz3ouh.jpg

20160315_223923_zpslyulliuu.jpg
20160315_223632_zpsgntdbjom.jpg

20160315_223738_zpsmrguhu7x.jpg

20160315_223815_zpsabjvalot.jpg

The camera def adds some colour, I think its less effected by the room ambient light.

Adding some dark curtains yesterday has def helped, lets see what else I can get away with in there before I am kicked out

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
speaking of being jealous, wow wow wow, they look awesome mate and having seen the film recently I rememeber watching it on my GT50 and thinking it looked good. One question, are you missing the bottom of the picture as the (i'm assuming pause button) looks like its been cut off!

But again, wow

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rocket - cheers dude. Its not perfect here, its lacking some richness due to rooms ambient light and PJ lackign black level but I am getting there with it

Your bang on right though mate, that is how a scope screen works. You oversize the image so that technically the black bars are above and below the actual screen and all you get it is the film image.

No Black bars just pure picture. They are there but they are lost into the off screen blackness.

If you remember back to the cinema days of moving curtains - when the film started the curtains used to retract to make the screen wider - that is to achieve the 2.40:1 ish ratio which is much wider and a lot of movies are shot in

My cousin was round the other day - he has the same TV as I used to have Panny 65VT65, I put something on the PJ for his son from Netflix which was 16:9. He said to me why have you got the screen like that - it doesnt look right? He didnt know of the difference so without preconcived ideas he could see instantly that the extra width just looks more natural / better.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Checking out the review of the Panny UHD Blu Ray Player it was used for the VW520 PJ testing, they got to see the VW520 at its best or near it. I am looking forward to seeing that myself.

I have been working on my setup - calibrated then tweaked. This is my girst PJ so I knew I wouldnt get it bang on straight away.

I took these yesterday, I am trying to get the full screen in the shot from where I set which is why some are a bit wonky - bearing in mind this is 100" screen at about 7 feet

The camera def adds some colour, I think its less effected by the room ambient light.

Adding some dark curtains yesterday has def helped, lets see what else I can get away with in there before I am kicked out
Great looking pictures!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Rocket I know you put your dedicated room build on hold - I was offering a demo once I was up and running to see if it inspired you

I am pretty much there, the system is certainly demo ready for movies - so obviously the offer still stands if you are interested?

Music is a highlight of my system but I missing parts at the minute so cant demo that.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Id love a demo mate, my only concern is that your system is far better than any system I could afford and thus if I did eventually get something it would look rubbish compared to yours! Hope you don't take it personally, and I appreciate the offer, but if I do get a 1080p projector I want to be happy with it and I just know if I saw your set up I wouldn't be happy with my setup.

Thanks and sorry
sad_smile.gif

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

?

I have been working on my setup - calibrated then tweaked.  This is my girst PJ so I knew I wouldnt get it bang on straight away.

I would love to see a 100 inch image from 6-7ft away...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rocket, Its up to you dude, I have been itching for some people to experience it to get their thoughts and feedback - its not perfect by any stretch

I have spent a lot of money on all this stuff but I am only an average joe, I am not rich by any means. I only live in a normal small house and have been lucky that I am such a good lover ;) that the mrs lets me have all this in our house depsite absolutely hating it. I think its more how I have set things up than money spent if I am honest in terms of the overall performance and I have done it all myself.

To get this level of performance doesnt have to cost a million pound, there are many ways to do it as good for much cheaper - if you can dedicate the space and do whats needed your more than half way there.

Its about knowing what you like and what you want - then boxing clever to buy the bits you can afford either used or new to get the end result you want. Only way to know what you want is to experience it

A proper planned out install will save loads of money than keep working on it bit by bit like I do, but that is part of the fun for me. I have spent well over £50 on black velour postage costs over the last year because I was too tight to buy a bulk load at once, silly things like that.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:

I would love to see a 100 inch image from 6-7ft away...

Nugget 6 Feet is too close - 7 feet is well under where you should sit but that is roughly how I have it. 7 1/2 feet ish, its under 8 I know that.

I am Essex based your Notts and you said didnt want to travel. If your travelling anywhere going here would a better idea.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi all I been lucky enough to see Ellisdj setup its the nads ,he has put a huge amount of effort in to his system,and it certainly shows ,so if go for a visit you won't be disappointed.david

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the kind words Dave. Series 1 Cheers as well.

Bear in mind the camera is adding colour it doesnt look as rich to me in real life as in the photos. However I am working on that and its content dependent. Other stuff is more colourful than the end of the world Oblivion

Its also naturally not as sharp being the size / viewing distance - depending on what your looking at the image on I suppose :)

Also factor in its only a 4 star reviewed product :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have spent a lot of money on all this stuff but I am only an average joe, I am not rich by any means. I only live in a normal small house and have been lucky that I am such a good lover ;) that the mrs lets me have all this in our house depsite absolutely hating it. I think its more how I have set things up than money spent if I am honest in terms of the overall performance and I have done it all myself.

So, not only do you have a lovely projector / screen combination and two acclaimed subwoofers, but you are great between the sheets, huh? *dance4*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am not charming, dont look like George Clooney, Dont treat her to amazing holidays or shoes or hand Bags.

What else can it be?? Hahahaha :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts