Performance of Monitor Audio Speaker GX-100

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
RE: Hi-Fi MA GX-100
cstanwhf wrote:I just received my GX100. Running in now. Your local shops should be receiving them soon.

As a matter of interest what is your initial impression and comment on this new speaker? What is your hifi combination, CDP and amplifier etc.? May be it is better to create a new topic on performance of GX-100 to attract more views and discussions.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
poldo said:
tommorow i am going to demo this GX100 against some Dyns and the AP SItara

Good to hear that as MA GX-100 is on my speaker upgrade list
smiley-laughing.gif

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I am currently using with Audiolab 8200CDQ and 8200A (in Pre-Power AV mode aka power amp mode). They replace the Tannoy M1 speakers.

They are placed on top of a shelf, I know that is not the best position to hear at their best but that is the only position I can place them now.

Initial impression when I played my first CD album yesterday…more bass…hehe. But not the huge increase I expected. Better clarity (more details) and sounds more open. I guess they will improve as the usage time increase. No issue with harshness/brightness at all.

Choose them over the RX1/GX50 when I auditioned at the dealers place in January. Did AB comparison with the RX1, RX6, GS10 and GX50. Found the high quite sweet, better details and sound staging overall. A long wait for the stocks to arrive…but finally, it is here.

Go hear them when you have the chance. Glad I took the advise from the dealer to go for the GX100 instead of the GX50.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
cstanwhf said:
They are placed on top of a shelf, I know that is not the best position to hear at their best but that is the only position I can place them now. Initial impression when I played my first CD album yesterday…more bass…hehe. But not the huge increase I expected.

My RX1 is placed in the wall type TV cabinet and GX-100 like RX1 is rear ported may I know how far is the back of your speaker from the wall ?? In my case I need to use two 1'X1'X3' trangular shaped bass traps and acoustic tiles to cover the back wall of the TV cabinet to get rid of excess bass from the RX1.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Just checked. Mine is about 30cm from the back wall.

But I placed 2 empty box (from my CD and amp) behind the speakers, against the wall.

So far no bass boom issue.

I think the GX100 needs to run in further.

Just also noticed that the bungs are actually fitted into the bass port. Thought I had misplaced them.

Will test without the bungs later and see if there is any issue with bass boom.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
cstanwhf said:
Just checked. Mine is about 30cm from the back wall. But I placed 2 empty box (from my CD and amp) behind the speakers, against the wall. So far no bass boom issue. I think the GX100 needs to run in further. Just also noticed that the bungs are actually fitted into the bass port. Thought I had misplaced them. Will test without the bungs later and see if there is any issue with bass boom.

If you can I suggest you don't use the port bungs as they will degrade the SQ of your GX 100. That is my experience with my RX1. Try removing the bungs and I am sure you will hear a lot of difference (hopefully you will not have bass boom issue).

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
OK, tested without the bungs.

The bass does goes deeper. And there was no serious bass boom. Only a bit, but still acceptable I guess. Have been using for about 6 hours or so. Every night about 1 hour of usage. The sound is getting a bit "sweeter" as compared to first using them.

I guess this model can image quite well. Had them about 1 meter apart on top of the shelf and stood on a chair to listen.

Still need to run in more I guess. As I think the 100 is capable of more bass production.

Will feedback after more running in.

A

Anonymous

Could you tell me if they would play House music well? I mean, I do like a very pure vocal,detailed sound,stereo and tigh bass. Not sure if they would cause any fatigue after playing few hours of electronic sound. I don't like heavy electronic sound like trance or techno. I only like vocal house, disco house, deep house,lounge ... like Hed Kandi, Ministry of Sound,Cafe del Mar, Hotel Costes,etc..

Thanks

Ricardo

Babyboomer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi cstan,

Can you share what equipment you are using with your GX100s ? Have you compared them with the Spendor SA1 before and if yes, do share the differences.

Thansk.

A couple of weeks ago I heard the GX100s with a Cyrus 8 system. Have to say, they sounded pretty impressive: They tick all the right boxes in terms of soundstage, detail, cohesion... and just very musical. That said, it's the first time I've heard the new Cyrus system en masse, and it was in a shop demo room. So how that would relate to a normal living room - and other brands, such as Leema, Arcam etc. - I couldn't say.

The only comparison was with MAs RX6 (poor chap dragged a pair in alongside the GX100s to give me a vague idea of how they might sound against my RS6s).

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Babyboomer said:
Hi cstan, Can you share what equipment you are using with your GX100s ? Have you compared them with the Spendor SA1 before and if yes, do share the differences. Thansk.

Hi BB, you can read about my equiptment and experience is post #3 here. :grin:

I did not compare with other brands of speakers before getting it.

I want more bass... therefore the Spendor SA1 may not meet my requirements. :oops:

Using with Kimber Hero and Chord Silverscreen Carnival.

Want to change IC to improve the bass.

cstanwhf said:
Babyboomer said:
Hi cstan, Can you share what equipment you are using with your GX100s ? Have you compared them with the Spendor SA1 before and if yes, do share the differences. Thansk.

I want more bass... therefore the Spendor SA1 may not meet my requirements. :oops:

Read your post: Pretty much my findings in direct comparison with RX6. The GXs ribbon tweeter is interesting. The treble, to me anyway, didn't sound as pronounced as the usual domed tweeter.

You say you have yours placed on a shelf. How far are they from the wall?

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
cstanwhf said:
Babyboomer said:

Read your post: Pretty much my findings in direct comparison with RX6. The GXs ribbon tweeter is interesting. The treble, to me anyway, didn't sound as pronounced as the usual domed tweeter.

It is mentioned on post #5, PP. About 30cm. :)

Are you still going for the PL100?

BTW, the GX100 will have less bass than the RS6.

cstanwhf said:
plastic penguin said:
cstanwhf said:
Babyboomer said:

It is mentioned on post #5, PP. About 30cm. :)

Are you still going for the PL100?

BTW, the GX100 will have less bass than the RS6.

It's pretty much a case of whether the PLs are any good about a foot from the wall, TBPH.

My short-list consists of the following: Totem Arro; PMC DB1is (or perhaps TB2i); PL100 or GX100.

Yup, the 100s do lack at little bottom end extention - to be expected really. However, they are very punchy and precise. The usual hi-fi compromise...
smiley-undecided.gif
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts