Cyrus 8 DAC - Speaker demo findings

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My 8 DAC landed with me the other day so I've been doing some demos at home as the local hifi shops demo room is terrible.. Really bad for bass being lost etc...

First up were the KEF LS50s. Initial feedback:

My 8 DAC landed tis afternoon so I went and picked up the KEF's.

Got them set up on some Partington Dreadnought stands and had them running for about 2 hours now

Sound absolutely fantastic. Phenomenal bass weight for their size and with a superbly detailed midrange and top end...

But...

That seems to be the issue. They're a little too open at the top and with some music the midrange seems to disappear as well...

With electronica they seem to excel but with older stuff (Sam Cooke, Wilson Picket et al) and other music such as Vampire Weekend to Metallica; they become ever so slightly brittle..

Sod's law though that the amp is new but speakers are well run in!

Still going to demo the KEF R100s tomorrow and the Rega RS3s..

Does anyone have experience of the 8 series amps and the B&W CM range and Monitor Audio RX range?

Im still trying to keep my budget to £800 or less... Am I dreaming?!Feedback again for LS50s after a few hours:
The speakers have begun to sound much better! We had a break to have some tea and get the hoovering done (well music was on and loud for an hour whilst the doors were shut).
Same tracks played and the amp is beginning to open up; sounds daft but it could be heard fairly clearly! More fuller bass and not as bright at the top end etc...
Will still demo the KEF R100s and MA GX50s tomorrow...Now to the MA GX50s which I picked up this morning:
Picked up some GX50s this morning for a home demo and took their demo LS50s back...
Initial impressions; stunning speaker to look at. Weighty as well but not as heavily built at the KEFs..
Sound wise; very good indeed. The ribbon tweeter is lovely but I think, for me, that's its downfall.
After hearing the LS50s for a lengthy period last night and again for a few hours this morning their more open soundstage and more detailed midrange and top end really win it for me.
The GX50s are fantastic but they do sound ever so slightly muffled at times and you feel as if you need to yawn and pop your ears lol
rolleyes.gif

Decided against the Rega RS3s as had a quick demo in the shop and they're fairly boxy sounding to be honest and amazingly light...
I also think, after having heard the KEF R100s a few times before, that going back to them would be a slight backward step...
Currently the LS50s are leading the pack by some distance...!Both sets of speakers are very well run in indeed with 500+ hours through them. Been using QED Silvery Anniversay XT and standard QED copper speaker cable from the Cyrus amp to the speakers (standard QED is much better IMO, not as bright) but will be changing to Chord Odyssey 2Music all from iTunes in highest bitrate via AirPlay and ATV2 into the DAC in the amp...

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have the LS50 with a Cyrus 6XP and really love the sound. But the LS50 and the Cyrus need quite some break-in time before sounding at their best.

I use a tube based cd player.

The B&W CM5 also sounds muffled from time to time imo, especially the mids are not the cleanest. ;)

A

Anonymous

Yes; had B&W CM5's before and found them slightly muffled as well; that was with itunes as music soruce and an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and Cyrus 8VS2 integrated as well...

Still a superb speaker but lost some detail with certain music

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
therecruiter said:
Been using QED Silvery Anniversay XT and standard QED copper speaker cable from the Cyrus amp to the speakers (standard QED is much better IMO, not as bright) but will be changing to Chord Odyssey 2

I'm delighted you are enjoying your demo......and would suggest you try Telurium Q and Atlas Cables before getting the Odyssey

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
therecruiter said:
Been using QED Silvery Anniversay XT and standard QED copper speaker cable from the Cyrus amp to the speakers (standard QED is much better IMO, not as bright) but will be changing to Chord Odyssey 2

I'm delighted you are enjoying your demo......and would suggest you try Telurium Q and Atlas Cables before getting the Odyssey

+1 for the Tellurium Q cables and interconnects!

So much more detail and control!

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the heads up...

will have a look at the Tellerium stuff; its names been bouncing about a bit now!

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
therecruiter said:

what do you feel these cables have over the Chord Odysssey 2? I've found this cable to be brilliant. Much better bass tautness with more detailed mids & top end

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
therecruiter said:
what do you feel these cables have over the Chord Odysssey 2? I've found this cable to be brilliant. Much better bass tautness with more detailed mids & top end

I find, for my taste, Chord's silver plated cables are a little bright and forward.

For me, the TQ has better detail, but is more natural sounding......but please don't take my word for it and try it for yourself. I think I'm right in saying that most of the people who use it on here, chose it over Chord.

Atlas Hyper is also worth a listen, and pehaps a little more forgiving.

A

Anonymous

I can't stand the chord stuff below the epic range. I'd stick with a good quality copper only cable. The silver plating for me isnt helpful

A

Anonymous

That's fair enough but that's for YOU...!

personally I've never had issues with Chord; found their cables to be excellent...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts