Peach tree nova 300 vs parasound halo vs rotel RA 1592

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
davidf said:
drummerman said:
Get a Sony STR DB 930. Does the same for a meal for two!!

Ps. I stop recommending the thing now as it has zero Street cred :)
An AV receiver is a cheaper way of doing it, but you get what you pay for, and with all the superfluousness, you pay for what you get :)

I used to think that and for the most part still do

But recently, ive heard great results with simple av reciever and modest speakers

With AV receivers you also get economy of scale. They sell in far greater numbers and the companies have far more resources than your 'average' Hifi manufacturer.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
How about these:

Arcam SR250 - digital inputs, DIRAC live room correction. (I've seen these pretty heavily discounted, so worth shopping around for less than the RRP)

Anthem MRX520 - yes an AV receiver, but known to be among the very best for stereo (I can personally vouch for this after a demo at Bristol a couple of years ago) with Anthem Room Correction.

Both of these beasties should sort out any room issues with aplomb. You can always add power amps later if you still felt the need.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions leeps. But have already ordered the parasound in silver colour.

Will be a while till I get back home to try them out. But will try with the tone controls to begin with. If it doesn't work, will add a sub. And even if that doesn't work, will go for a mini DSP in the digital domain between the source and the amp's dac. This will be first proper stereo amp, and already have 2 av amps at home. Also wanted to see what all the fuss was about stereo Amps being superior to av amps.:)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope you have many happy years together! Once it's in situ and warmed up, your thoughts or a mini-review would be appreciated.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Thanks for the suggestions leeps. But have already ordered the parasound in silver colour.

Will be a while till I get back home to try them out. But will try with the tone controls to begin with. If it doesn't work, will add a sub. And even if that doesn't work, will go for a mini DSP in the digital domain between the source and the amp's dac. This will be first proper stereo amp, and already have 2 av amps at home. Also wanted to see what all the fuss was about stereo Amps being superior to av amps.:)

Good choice amp possibly one of the best price wise.
Im not sure what you will think compared to av amp though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Oran said:
I dont think that more damping factor is going to fix problems of too much bass. As I understand once you get to a certain figure of damping factor a bigger number does not benefit you anymore.

I believe you are correct. I thought the figure was around 80 but its lower than that, I think I read that anything above 40 is rendered unimportant because of other electrical factors including the Xover.

Still, Schmegels have a figure of a thousand or so, in essence infinite ... . Reads good.

If they specified 80 in 8ohms, then it's 40 in 4ohms, 20 in 2R. And 20 is where it starts getting audible, 10 is valve territory. If you have speakers that dip in 2 ohms range, the bass may get a bit flub-flub.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday. And since I don't have any speakers with me, Except some old lenco's from a small micro hi-fi system. I can only comment on its appearance for now.

1) Looks very old school. Most hifi kit these days except power amps come with a display. This has none.
Will fit in nicely in my grandpa's kit.

2) Looks like a big slab of aluminium with mal-nourished dials. The dials could certainly have been bigger to get the proportions right. But in use they feel good quality and well weighted.

3) As heavy as it looks. And is solid to the touch. No squeaks anywhere.

4) As per the manual, I can connect 2 subs for left and right stereo instead of the usual mono on most amps. I wasn't aware of this before. And really liked having this feature.

5) Damages - 2676 $ including taxes. Could have gotten for less online $ 2450/-. But I preferred going through a dealer my friend knew very well.

6) Funnily the dealer suggested my friend a pair of 9000 $ speakers to go with the halo. He had to politely decline.

Sorry, this is all I can say at the moment. Should be home by October, and will post my listening impressions then. IAM fondly hoping that what it lacks in visual appeal will be offset in performance. Thanks again for all your suggestions and advise.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Yesterday. And since I don't have any speakers with me, Except some old lenco's from a small micro hi-fi system. I can only comment on its appearance for now.

1) Looks very old school. Most hifi kit these days except power amps come with a display. This has none. Will fit in nicely in my grandpa's kit.

2) Looks like a big slab of aluminium with mal-nourished dials. The dials could certainly have been bigger to get the proportions right. But in use they feel good quality and well weighted.

3) As heavy as it looks. And is solid to the touch. No squeaks anywhere.

4) As per the manual, I can connect 2 subs for left and right stereo instead of the usual mono on most amps. I wasn't aware of this before. And really liked having this feature.

5) Damages - 2676 $ including taxes. Could have gotten for less online $ 2450/-. But I preferred going through a dealer my friend knew very well.

6) Funnily the dealer suggested my friend a pair of 9000 $ speakers to go with the halo. He had to politely decline.

Sorry, this is all I can say at the moment. Should be home by October, and will post my listening impressions then. IAM fondly hoping that what it lacks in visual appeal will be offset in performance. Thanks again for all your suggestions and advise.

I am sure it will serve you well for many years.

Don't forget about us and report back :)

kitus

Aug 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone, digging up this old thread as it contains products that I'm currently considering. I too own a pair of Concept 40 and the Peachtree is on my list.
@newlash09 could you update us with your findings and experiences? When you say Concept 40, you do refer to Q Acoustics Concept 40, right?
Thanks!

Hi everyone, digging up this old thread as it contains products that I'm currently considering. I too own a pair of Concept 40 and the Peachtree is on my list.
@newlash09 could you update us with your findings and experiences? When you say Concept 40, you do refer to Q Acoustics Concept 40, right?
Thanks!
Start a new thread would be my suggestion. Newlash09 may not even be on the forum anymore so asking questions like this on an old thread doesn't make sense.
However, yes those are the speakers he was referring to.
If the Peachtree is on your list go and audition it.

kitus

Aug 10, 2020
Visit site
Start a new thread would be my suggestion. Newlash09 may not even be on the forum anymore so asking questions like this on an old thread doesn't make sense.
However, yes those are the speakers he was referring to.
If the Peachtree is on your list go and audition it.
Sure. will do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts