PC to Hi Fi Connection?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have a lot of mucic stored on a portable hard drive (mp3 format) and would obviously like to play this through my amp and speakers but don't know how to or which jack to use from my PC. For info I use a new HP Pavilion laptop and have a Marantz PM6002 Amp.

If anyone can provide links to the cable/connector I need that would be a big help.

Thanks

Paul

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
A very cheap solution is to buy a two to one audio cable and plug it into your heaphone jack. The lead then can be inserted in one of the input connections in the back of the amplifer. These leads depending on the quality you want can be picked up for as little as 10 pound for a semi-decent one or 20 to 30 pounds for a good one. Depending on the quality of your in-board sound card it may be an idea to invest in a good pci or usb soundcard which will ensure that you dont pick up distortion from your computer when playing your music. Personally I bought a creative audio pci soundcard which improved the sound tenfold and a cambridge audio I-Link lead (due to budget) to connect my computer to my amp. If money isn't an object as was the case in my circumstances the purchase of a good Digital to analogue convertor will also ensure that the sound you get from the computer will be more refined.

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I have this QED cable and really like it....

http://www.qed.co.uk/i120c170-158/QED_Cables/Audio_Interconnects/Qunex_J2P.htm

You can also get external soundcards that plug into a USB socket.....but then things start to get more expensive.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
personally i would purchase a PCI card as they are directly connected to the computer and are therefore faster than USB soundcards. USB is restricted by the slow data transfer that occurs through a USB port which will be further slowed by the use of two USB drives. One for your hard drive and one for your soundcard.

iRog

Jul 18, 2007
Visit site
External DACs dont have to be expensive. I use the SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB with my laptop which I think gives excellent sound quality for the price - barely distinguishable from my CD player. USB transfer speed is not an issue for audio playback.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="iRog"]External DACs dont have to be expensive. I use the SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB with my laptop which I think gives excellent sound quality for the price - barely distinguishable from my CD player. USB transfer speed is not an issue for audio playback.[/quote]
Can you buy this in the uk anywhere?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts