PC Surgery

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Aagh difficult to hit keypad on your mobile on a moving train.

As computing is intertwine with audio, I thought it would be nice to have a place where we can discuss PC issues and hopefully provide some knowledge base, which will help resolve all your PC angsts.

Last edited:
Reactions: hifi

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The last few weeks my PC was emitting a terrible rattling noise. I assumed one of the wires had been caught between one of the fans.
I done a visual check and some cable management. Unfortunately the crackling sound was still present. So I assumed, after running the fan hygiene check via software that it may indeed be the AIO water pump, I had it about 5 years and they typically die around this time and the PC forums suggested that this might be the problem.
I was thinking of upgrading my PC and this gave me the pretext to spend more money.
Anyway I installed my new BeQuiet 280mm AIO and, oh damn it wasn't the AIO.
The crackling noise emitting from my PC have increased in intensity.
I checked the GPU fans, it wasn't that.
I narrowed it down to the PSU or the motherboard microchip fan.
Anyway the dye was set. I ordered new motherboard, new cpu, new DDR5 ram, new fish tank double chamber PC case, New PSU, new mod cabling.
When the missus's goes to Italy in 2 weeks time. I will build my new rig.
I still intend to resolve the issue on the old PC, because I need to salvage some of the costs. Hopefully by selling on eBay.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My Nzxt H9 (black) full size double chamber fish tank replaces the Lian Li O11D. I will go for the squeaky clean approach. I haven't decided the positioning on the exhaust and intake fans, I think it will be down to aesthetics. My Ryzen 78003XD is only 65 watts, so the fan positioning isn't as crucial as those toasters from Intel. Apologies for the fanbois outburst :)

View: https://youtu.be/ffJ_iG2_KbY?si=1nBVXoeqMEQeXUN4

Friesiansam

My Ryzen 78003XD is only 65 watts, so the fan positioning isn't as crucial as those toasters from Intel.
No, it's not just 65W. Unless you have manually set a lower power limit, it's TDP is 120W. My R7 5800x has a TDP of 105W and, according to AMD Ryzen Master, it's consumption rises to a little over 120W under load. (Running Prime 95 in small tft, max heat mode)

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Reactions: Friesiansam

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My new PC is a slow burner, I'm holding off from building it until the missus goes on her trip to Italy in a couple weeks time.
I need the dining table for my work space and the less she sees the better :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I'm just doing little things in preparation. I installed the CPU on the AM5 socket and I can't recommend it enough, the copper thermal paste guard from Deep Cool fits snuggly into the socket and also helps dissipate some of the heat away from the CPU. I think you'll agree much better than those made from silicone.

1708602335914.png

1708602380194.png
1708602431777.png

When I was putting together my AM4 build, I opted for top end Asus X570-F motherboard but I realise I was never going to use all the features, so on this occasion, I decided on the budget ASUS TUF X650 AM5 motherboard, it may be absent of RGB, which is no bad thing but it really isn't short on features, it comes with WIFI and three NVME m.2 sockets.
Got an excellent deal from SCAN, ASUS motherboard + Ryzen 78003XD + 64gb (4x16gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory (6000) £630, not bad!
(really first class vendor, next day delivery and excellent customer service, got my Adams TV7's from them as well)
I will post some more photos once I have put together my rig.

Last edited:

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The last few weeks my PC was emitting a terrible rattling noise. I assumed one of the wires had been caught between one of the fans.
I done a visual check and some cable management. Unfortunately the crackling sound was still present. So I assumed, after running the fan hygiene check via software that it may indeed be the AIO water pump, I had it about 5 years and they typically die around this time and the PC forums suggested that this might be the problem.
I was thinking of upgrading my PC and this gave me the pretext to spend more money.
Anyway I installed my new BeQuiet 280mm AIO and, oh damn it wasn't the AIO.
The crackling noise emitting from my PC have increased in intensity.
I checked the GPU fans, it wasn't that.
I narrowed it down to the PSU or the motherboard microchip fan.
Anyway the dye was set. I ordered new motherboard, new cpu, new DDR5 ram, new fish tank double chamber PC case, New PSU, new mod cabling.
When the missus's goes to Italy in 2 weeks time. I will build my new rig.
I still intend to resolve the issue on the old PC, because I need to salvage some of the costs. Hopefully by selling on eBay.
By the time you took everything off the motherboard, replaced the motherboard and put everything back on you may as well do as you've done and just replace the lot. It's a lot more fun (and expensive!) that way.

I always enjoy building computers but as you say you need a good sized table to plonk it on and preferably a shortage of distractions. Neat cable management can become a bit of an obsession. I never thought about it on my first ever build and it was like Kerplunk inside it. Made a much more concerted effort second time round. You couldn't see inside my first case so aesthetically it made no difference but second time round I've got a Thermaltake V2 which is mesh and with a perspex side panel so worth the effort (and less dust gathering potential to boot!)

Look forward to seeing some pics once you've got it assembled!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
By the time you took everything off the motherboard, replaced the motherboard and put everything back on you may as well do as you've done and just replace the lot. It's a lot more fun (and expensive!) that way.

I always enjoy building computers but as you say you need a good sized table to plonk it on and preferably a shortage of distractions. Neat cable management can become a bit of an obsession. I never thought about it on my first ever build and it was like Kerplunk inside it. Made a much more concerted effort second time round. You couldn't see inside my first case so aesthetically it made no difference but second time round I've got a Thermaltake V2 which is mesh and with a perspex side panel so worth the effort (and less dust gathering potential to boot!)

Look forward to seeing some pics once you've got it assembled!
Cheers Bud.
I remember back in the late 80s, I purchased my first PC, it came in all colours Vanilla or Beige, my supa-doopa Intel SX486 (no floating point co-processer). When the delivery arrived, I very quickly discovered the PC wouldn't boot up. The supplier had booked in a trained technician to come to site but I had to wait 2 weeks for someone to come round.

It was a pain the wait. When he came round, he took the whole case off, (U Shaped Single Panel) there was no such thing as modular or side panels in those days. The IDE socket was slightly detached from the mechanical hard drive, he pushed it back in, he hit the power button, it whirled and everything was good. It was a 5-10 minute job. I thought I could have done that myself (well I couldn't, I would have invalidated the warranty) but it was the catalyst that got me started in the hobby and I've been at it since :)

I love how this whole thing has evolved and where we are now. I use to be old school with CPU coolers, I thought AIOs are madness, water and electricity don't mix!!!
It took me awhile to come round, aesthetically AIOs much more appealing, less noisy and more efficient. Not sure I would ever go back to air cooling, maybe if I'm putting together an ITX system where space is restricted.

Below is my current setup, not too hot on cable management. a lot of clutter. The NZXT H9 Flow case has more space than Lian Li OIID, so hopefully I can do a better job with the cabling, I wont retain the bling, any unnecessary aRGB lighting and aida64 sensor panel (also serves as a GPU support bracket) will go.

I'll send photos when it's done :)

1708687067373.png

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Back from Tuscany, and getting started again on my PC build. Hopefully get it finished this weekend :)
The APNX fans are supplied with reversible fans, bit of a pain to remove the original exhaust fans (default). Three at the side and three at the bottom are intakes, so lovely not to see those obtrusive bars. The 2 x 140mm Radiator and 120mm side panel are exhaust.

My old PC had a negative flow setup but CPU temperatures were still good, getting 32C-36C. The venting on the new NZXT should be good.

1710781335760.png

1710781465571.png

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Looking good!

What GPU have you gone for? Thinking of doing an upgrade on my GPU soon.
I would suggest avoiding the latest Ada 4000 series gen, not unless you want to pay the crazy price for them. I think the Ampere 3000 range is still good enough for 4K gaming. I went with the GeForce GTX 3080 (ASUS TUF) and pretty decent frame rate at high settings.
Not discounting AMD RTX 7000, and if Ray tracing isn't your thing, you can get the RXT 7080 cheaper than the Nvidia equivalent. If you can find it in stock RTX 7090 is an excellent performer, better framerates than 4080ti.

Also if you can hold fire, I believe Jensen in the next few months will announce NVIDIA Blackwell 5000 series Platform, which will no doubt have a positive effect in reducing the retail price of the 4000 and 3000 series, not unless the Crypto Miners grab all the stock!

You can't go much wrong 3080 or 3080ti. I think I paid £350ish for it on eBay.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Mission complete and mighty pleased, original software almost fully installed. One issue buggy Realtek 2.5gb Ethernet LAN was giving me low speeds, had to manually reconfigure.
Also stuck in an AIO PC monitor display but decided in the end to place it elsewhere. APNX fans are quality and good price. Supplied with reversible fans, nice not seeing cross bars on the intake.
Great Case, lots of space to hid the cables.

1711902537280.png
1711902582219.png

1711902631876.png

Reactions: Rodolfo

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Congrats, sure is pretty; I might want that for the holidays!

I'm retired and my requirements and tastes are modest now: I have settled on two Intel NUCs, one with an i7 and 16 gigs, and the other with a mere Celeron and 16 gigs. These, plus my two Surface tablets and Fire tablet would surely feel dwarfed and intimidated, and might all fry next to yours!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Congrats, sure is pretty; I might want that for the holidays!

I'm retired and my requirements and tastes are modest now: I have settled on two Intel NUCs, one with an i7 and 16 gigs, and the other with a mere Celeron and 16 gigs. These, plus my two Surface tablets and Fire tablet would surely feel dwarfed and intimidated, and might all fry next to yours!
Thanks for your comments hahaha!

I guess if you need to draw a parallel between Hi-Fi and PC's, you need to find a sweet spot that works for you and it's absolutely brill you have a setup that you can work happily with :).
I get a great deal of pleasure from customisation, though fair to say, all this RGB goodness not for everyone. Nothing original here, stole a lot of the ideas from YouTube :)
Unlike music, PCs don't have a soul but it's the wheel that drives everything, perhaps that's why I'm so passionate about it.

TRENDING THREADS