PC Speaker Setup

stew232

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, im looking for speakers for my pc and really dont know much about speakers. My motherboard is the ASUS maximus iv gene-z and my monitor is a BenQ xl2420t that i have wall mounted and ideally id like to mount speakers onto the wall either side of it. The monitor projects out about 70mm from the wall so id want speakers that are 70mm or less deep. My budget is around £400. I found the KEF T101 speakers and they look excellent but they are hooked up using bare wire. From a little research iv found the most common connections are bare wire, banana plugs, spade and 3.5mm.

So is it possible to connect them to a pc?

If it is then what other hardware would i require?

If not whats a suitable alternative?

Any help would be great and please remember i know next to nothing about speakers and have no existing audio equipment that will be used. Everything will need to be bought. The audio of my pc has always been neglated so iv decided to spend some money on it and see if its worth it. Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
stew232 said:
Hi, im looking for speakers for my pc and really dont know much about speakers. My motherboard is the ASUS maximus iv gene-z and my monitor is a BenQ xl2420t that i have wall mounted and ideally id like to mount speakers onto the wall either side of it. The monitor projects out about 70mm from the wall so id want speakers that are 70mm or less deep. My budget is around £400. I found the KEF T101 speakers and they look excellent but they are hooked up using bare wire. From a little research iv found the most common connections are bare wire, banana plugs, spade and 3.5mm.

Any help would be great and please remember i know next to nothing about speakers and have no existing audio equipment that will be used. Everything will need to be bought. The audio of my pc has always been neglated so iv decided to spend some money on it and see if its worth it. Thanks

AudioEngine

?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Teufel Concept B 200 USB.

As the name suggests, this connects to a USB output on your PC (it also has 3.5mm and RCA inputs).

The speakers are designed to sit on a desk and are deeper than you want, but you could place them up against the wall (thanks to the modest bass output and port location) either side of your monitor with the control unit sitting beneath. Similar to this picture but with the speakers further apart:

teufel-concept-b-200-test-imaedia-de-01-564x308.jpg

Gramophone Review:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/teufel-concept-b-200-usb-compact-computer-audio-package-has-flexibility-and-fine-sound

Currently available for under £200 with free delivery, or £204.98 if you need the optional USB cable:

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/pc/concept-b-200-usb-p1034.html

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I concur with AL13N. These speakers are excellent. I have them for two years now and they represent the best bang-for-the-buck of all pc-speakers with regards to music reproduction imo. For movies I'd recommend a 2.1 set (with sub that is). Teufel is a well regarded brand with the best consumers service I've ever experienced. There is a 8 week trial option and a guarantee of 12 years! :clap:

stew232

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions but those speakers are too big depth wise, iv looked at speakers like the boston acoustics xs 5.1 and even with them im worried there depth is too much.

I really want speakers that can be wall mounted and are quite thin. Iv come across these - http://www.jamo.com/speaker-lines/aesthetic/A101/?sku=A101HCS5 and these are well within budget at £240 and would probaly do if i cant find anything better. Id only be using the front 3 speakers and the sub as i dont need surround speakers.

Are there more speaker setups similar to the Jamo A101 HCS5 ?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
stew232 said:

You can't connect the Kef's direct to a computer - they aren't powered speakers like the Audioengines or other PC speakers so you would need a separate amplifier which would of course take up more space. One option would be something like this:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=stereobox&cat=boxes&lang=en

Doubt you'd find much smaller than that.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just be aware that hifi speakers are not designed to be listened to close-up, ie arounfd 3 feet away, so if you listening the music like that you are probably better off either with some near field monitors, Behringer do some, they are active so no need to add an amp or look at some computer speakers. Kef do some new actives for computers but are £600.

stew232

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
So in other words it would be pretty pointless getting the Kef t101's as they wouldnt sound great as im sitting too close to them. I did initially wonder if that would be the case but was hoping it wouldnt be. Even though i love the look of the Kef t101's i must admit im not prepared to spend £300 on them plus £200 on an amp.

If id get better sound with pc speakers or near field speakers does anybody know of some slim type? I dont mind if it needs a subwoofer or anything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts